Author Topic: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup  (Read 29099 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »
Great news Dan.
I hope to visit some of those places next year so will be reading your journal entries with interest.
Best wishes
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 06:12:14 am »
Hey dan, Good travels out that way my man. I did a lot of the Euro Velo 6 on my way to Istanbul. As you'll be coming the opposite way first you won't be used to having signposts and it will only get easier the further North you get.
I was going the other way and the quality of track and signage hit a severe decline after Budapest :)

Never know, but I might be hitting some of that myself in the not too distant future.
I've got to make a scheduled trip home for a few months and although the date was meant to be August it might get brought forward if the unthinakable happens and my team are still in with a shout of winning the league. There is no way I'll be missing the first victory parade for a championship in Liverpool for over 20 years.

All the best
Richie
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 06:36:36 am »
Richie!

Please keep me advised of your plans by PM or email, as it would be terrific to meetup along the way. Serendipity is a strange and wonderful thing and you never know. If you happen to see me, a sunburned and moustached 'Merkin on Andy's red Raven Tour loaded with my red/black Ortliebs and wearing a red helmet...we'll know truth is stranger than fiction.

I'll be traveling the eastern part of EV6 both ways so it just might happen.

All best wishes on your continuing journey and many thanks for yours.

All the best,

Dan. (...who will be looking for that black Nomad and moustache 'bar-bag)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:01 am »
Can you give us the low down on that cheap air fair?
Are you related to the pilot or own Virgin airways?
Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:23 am »
Can you give us the low down on that cheap air fair?
Sure!
Are you related to the pilot or own Virgin airways?
Nope; wish I was!

Hi Matt!

I'm still astounded by the low cost of the airfare myself. There's a number of reasons why it was so low...

• I started looking well in advance, meaning November. I finally booked on December 6th, before peak December travel season when fares increase for not only the holidays, but well out in the calendar. I guess airlines figure holiday travel puts people in the mood for summer bookings and price accordingly.

• I spent a number of very late nights crouched over the computer, haunting my airlines' website. By "my airlines" I mean AlaskaAir, where I have a mileage rewards VISA card and this is also the airline local to me here in America's Pacific Northwest and they partner with several international airlines including BA and AirFrance. To gain air miles, I long ago put my utilities and other revolving charges on autopay using their card and treat it as if I were writing a check, paying it off immediately. With past travel and rewards points, I have accrued enough "mileage" points over several years for redemption. Booking myself, through my airline, using their redemption calendar and my accrued points resulted in a far better price than any of the online firms like Kayak or Travelocity.

• AirFrance had far better partner prices than did BritishAir, even though it meant mandatory routing through Paris CDG airport, which is notorious for being hard to make connections. In the end, going with BA would have made for more difficult connections overall and considerably longer layovers as well and some days/flights being completely unavailable, so worst of all outcomes. AirFrance was better from a travel standpoint as well as price.

• Tuesday nights, just after midnight, is the time when many airfares take a dip among American airlines, according to my tracking of prices and specials. It proved true in this case as well.

• Since I wanted to fly points insofar as possible in lieu of out-of-pocket cost, I booked based on availability through AlaskaAir's Rewards Calendar. These are flights by destination that have award or blackout dates to use your accumulated points. I was willing to fly at bottom-level seating, figuring if I'm on the plane -- even in steerage -- I'll still get there. Minimum redemption levels are 32,500mi and the next bump up is 65,000mi, but the extra boost doesn't always correlate with extra value -- sometimes it means a higher-class low-level seat just one row ahead. Sometimes it is the same bottom-level seat priced higher in reward points and cash. You have to check seat-by-seat and row-by-row. Airplane seating charts became my friend; when you actually redeem your rewards/book your ticket, you can choose your seating. I did, choosing aisle seats near but not close to the restrooms and galley on an aisle that will let me to stand and stretch without disturbing others and grab my bags and get out quickly on landing so I will gain time on my connections. In each case, I am just one seat away from the next higher-priced seat. All my connections are good and should allow transfer without missing a flight unless something goes really wrong with a mechanical problem or weather delays, the latter unlikely at the times/places I'll be flying. Plesae note: My booked flights only allowed seat selection on AlaskaAir and commuter-airline subsidiary HorizonAir. To select my seats on AirFrance, I simply registered for a free account and then made my selection. This also allowed me to select my meals/menu. They look to be good -- unlike the domestic flights which plan to let me starve, AirFranceprovides real dinners and an in-flight buffet.

I ended up getting each leg -- outgoing and return -- for 32,500 air (reward) miles for a total of 65,000 spent. This dropped my out-of-pocket expense to $149.99 for both legs (round trip).

• These are not direct flights. Outgoing is Eugene departing @ 8AM 9May>Portland>Atlanta>Paris>Sofia @ 4:15PM 10May. Return is departing 11Sept @ 3:10PM Bucharest>Paris>Los Angeles with a 14hr layover and me sleeping at the airport as I've done before and then>Portland>Eugene 12May @ 3:30PM.

• I was willing to be flexible on my departure and arrival times and day-of-week. This meant weekdays, which also cut costs. I leave on a Friday and return on a Thursday. Saturday or Sunday arrivals/departures are in higher demand and thus more expensive.

• I am flying out just before peak tourist season and flying home just after.

• I booked an "open-jaw" flight, meaning different arrival and departure airports. Andy -- bless him! -- is willing to pick me up at one and drop me off at the other. This saved on costs as well. One airport is much farther from him in distance, the other involves lengthy border delays.

• I was willing to fly home on September 11th, the date of the 2001 terrorist attacks in America. There is still a general unwillingness by Americans to fly on this date, resulting in domestic underbookings and therefore lower costs. I feel security will be increased on that day and I will likely be as safer or safer than on another date.

• A major savings is realized from not flying with my bike, thanks to Andy's wonderful offer of his. My Ortlieb HB bag will be my "personal item" bag to go under my seat, I'll wear my helmet aboard so it won't get crushed in my bag, I'll have a small carry-on to stow overhead, and a larger bag that meets requirements in the cargo hold. Between them, I will bring my four panniers, my sleeping bag and pad, my 1-man tent, my small electronic gadgets (batteries with watt-hour capacity calculated and marked overtly to meet airline requirements, smartphone, solar panel, GPS), and basic clothing -- I'll wear helmet, jersey, shorts, socks, gloves, and SPD shoes on bike, plus 1 spare each jersey and riding shorts and socks and my raingear plus 1 each 3/4 tights and regular tights. Casual clothes will be an airweave synthetic "dry" t-shirt and cargo pants with zip-off legs to make shorts and my nylon-mesh Merrell clogs/slip-on shoes for the airport, tent/camp and even shower use. I will carry a light zippered fleece and a PrimaLoft "puff" jacket that stuffs very small in case of colder days/nights and my buff and ball cap for sun protection. I'l bring my Mini-Trangia pot and frypan/lid and potlifter and a couple folding spoons as well as the burner head for an iso-butane cartridge. I'll try to buy a multifuel stove in Ruse on arrival, since a friend who recently took a similar air route said he saw tables full of confiscated campstoves at airlines check-in counters in Paris, Atlanta, and LA. When he asked about them, he was told if they looked "used" they were "expected" to not be fume-free and were confiscated as a result.

So, no magic involved on the cheap airfare, just a determination to suss out the best dates cost-wise, some research, price-tracking, and a willingness to be flexible.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:09:10 am by Danneaux »

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:26 am »
Interesting point you make about the stoves Dan. Imagine getting to the airport with your brand new multifuel that you've used once to test it. :(
I love the idea of coming to your country but I don't like the idea of customs. Both times I've ben to the states it was absolutely ridiculous. 6 six, yes 6 checks before CHECKING IN at LAX and when I arrived at Miami it was just after the mad cow disease here in the UK.
The fantastic sign at arrivals said "If arriving from the UK please inform us if you . 1. Live on a farm. 2. Have visited the countryside. 3. Have recently visited a bed n breakfast."  I kid you not.
Everyone knows cows don't use BnB's because they cant get down the stairs ;)
On my Iran - India flight every old lady had a massive kettle of boiling hot water so she could make tea on the flight :)
Yes I'll keep in touch Dan. PM me your details please I seem to have lost them.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:37 am »
Europe = Camping Gaz

Buy the 'puncture can' model, the spare canisters are available in every supermarket and village store in Italy and France.

This sort:

We wrongly, bought the fancy new Click-stove model, very easy to use, but the canisters were rarer than poultry dentals.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:39:50 am by il padrone »

mickeg

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »
I went on a backpacking trip and only took one pair of spare socks.  Big mistake, after washing they did not dry fast enough for me to start each day with dry clean socks.  Since then, I always carry four pair of socks (three spares, one in use).  Cycling, I carry both bike shoes and regular shoes (specifically trail running shoes) and I work very hard to make sure that one pair stays reasonably dry.

Last spring after biking in rain for several days, the first dry day my trail runners were still reasonably dry but my bike shoes were soaked.  I had Shimano 324 pedals that allowed me to use cleated shoes or plain shoes.  That allowed me to bike in dry shoes for a day while my bike shoes started to dry out.  A friend on the trip only had one pair of shoes which got soaked.  He started to have foot problems when he could not switch to dry footwear.

Dan, I know you have struggled with getting the right pedal for your knees, but I really suggest you have an option for footwear if your bike shoes get soaked.

It was suggested above to get the puncture type canister stove.  Vaude or Markhill make an adapter that you can use to connect those canisters to a thread on type stove (Primus, MSR, Snow Peak, etc.).  But the adapters are very hard to find in USA, so you might not find one here.  I often use a Snow Peak stove on that adapter with some old Gaz cartridges.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Puncture-Style-Cartridge-Adaptor/dp/B0037X9YOK/ref=pd_sxp_f_r

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:57 am »
Many thanks for airline ticket info.

May I ask what data you will be keeping as you travel?
I appreciate money and costs are a private matter but would be interested to hear anything on those subjects.
I like to keep within budget when I tour.

Matt

John Saxby

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 12:51:37 pm »
May I ask what data you will be keeping as you travel?
  We all have our own systems/preferences/obsessions, but I keep track (pencil & notebook) of all costs when I'm on tour, plus anything related, before & after (travel costs, mechanical prep or repair, etc.)  Takes maybe a minute at the end of each day.  Daily costs are usually limited to food & drink & accomm, as you'd expect, but occasionally trainfares/etc are part of the equation.  I find it useful to know what a bike-trek costs, not least because it's usually cheaper than simply staying at home!  After a few rides, longer or shorter, one develops a good sense of what a tour is likely to cost.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:23 pm »
Hi All!

Thanks so much for the well-wishes and suggestions -- all very much appreciated, integrated, and weighed.

Between putting in high mileage and getting things wrapped up here, so I may not be able to always make my usual individual replies and PMs, but I very much welcome and appreciate your thoughts.

With regard to air travel with stoves, I did come across this horrifying story, which unfortunately is not isolated, having been duplicated since and reported in local papers: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/sep/13/heat-is-on/ No stove for me when flying. Portland (PDX) is notorious for problems with air travel and immigration, and I still believe it is there where my Miyata was so heavily damaged by TSA inspectors when I flew home from Amsterdam in 2008. According to the tags and leaflet in the box, it had been flagged for "B**b Scrutiny" and there was no recourse or financial recovery available from the airlines (not their doing) or the TSA (immune in the course of duties).

Matt, I like to keep costs in check while touring, and usually go for a minimal amount far below what othes do. I'll be keeping track of the costs as the credit card bills and bank records come in After. At this point, costs are minimal 'cos I have all my  equipment I'll be bringing and/or will use any additional purchases long-term beyond this immediate tour (i.e. my Anker 20,000mAh external USB battery for charging the phone and other gadgets while away from mains power. Andy's bike does not have a dynohub, so I will use the big external battery and recharge off mains periodically of or off my Joos Orange solar panel and accumulator battery. Both those have to have watt-hours calculated and overtly labeled, according to AirFrance -- and then checked against allowable maximums per traveler, else one runs into problems).

I go on most of my tours for pretty minimal cost -- mostly take-along food equivalent or less in cost than what I eat at home. This is easy in my usual locales, which are remote and have no available lodging or restaurants anyway. For this trip, I expect costs in Eastern Europe to be very low due to local currencies, and to be unfortunately high for me as an American in Western Europe due to the strong Euro against a weak US dollar. The homestays should cut my costs for lodging compared to more commercial alternatives, and I have my little tent for all other occasions. If a homestay is otherwise occupied, the tent might allow me to still make a pitch in someone's side garden if no bed is available.

While I really enjoy food and love a good, tasty meal, I have usually considered food simply as "fuel" when touring and pack accordingly for weight, mass, and caloric payoff by type (carbs, protein, etc). I need to change that approach for this trip and really enjoy where I am and what is offered in the way of regional food -- it is part of the experience and will make for a much richer adventure and some truly tasty meals if I do! Still, roadside stands are fine on occasion and I don't mind going with a hunk of hard cheese, hard salami, and a baguette for my pick-up food to carry me through with windfall apples and pears and such along the way as supplements. I intend to carry some small tins of food to tide me over Sunday closures (I got caught out by these occasionally in more traditional and conservative Zeeland and again in eastern NL). Some rice or beans softened in a water bottle during the day for quick warming at night or early morning is fine as a quick supplement if food is otherwise unavailable, and I usually put in 30-40km before breakfast so I can break camp and get some distance in early. The main thing to watch is *me*. I find I tend to lose my appetite when exercising, so it is important for me to remember to eat enough to offset the calories lost and so avoid my usual pound-a-day weight loss while touring. In 2008, I made sure I got a hot meat protein-heavy meal at midday everyday and it really helped. With apologies to my vegetarian friends, I'm an omnivore and really feel the loss in performance when I don't have meat-based protein in my diet. My touring partner on the 2008 tour was an accomplished vegetarian and cook, and I still went progressively downhill over the course of the first week without meat. With frequent infusions of smoked salami and soon-beloved pickled herring, I perked right up and went back to my usual riding performance standard. I could find roadside pickled herring-and-frites-with mayonnaise stands like a heat-seeking missile finds its target.

By the way, auto clubs may be of unexpected assistance in the money realm. I found AAA (The American Automobile Association) which in my eyes didn't offer much back in the day beyond basic towing, roadside assistance and insurance -- is now a wonderland of travel accessories and services for everyone both online and in local AAA stores. For a small fee, they also offer foreign currencies in "tip packs" or larger denominations so one can arrive with local currency. Larger amounts are available as well, all shipped from their Florida headquarters for arrival in 7-10 business days. AAA now offers members free pickup/recovery/repair while bicycling in some cases ( http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/07/15/aaa-always-anti-bike-launches-bicycle-roadside-assistance-serv/ ), at least here in Oregon and a few other states. I'm not a member, but some of their offerings might tempt me before this trip. Their AAA Visa card is chip-equipped for ready overseas use. This is useful, as RFID chips are still rare here in America, though a recent nationwide store-chain security breach (Target stores) has caused a short-term increase in chip-card availability for those demanding them. I waited from November till early March to get my AmEx chip-card. My bank (US Bank) tells me they don't even have one available and probably won't until the year 2020. My credit union -- largest in the state -- doesn't offer a chip card. AAA also has debit cards readily available. Most of their available services don't require membership.

As an aside...Off on the Nomad here in a few minutes and want to keep a close eye out for mountain lions; maybe I'll see one to photograph again. Two cougars have been trapped inside city limits in the last couple weeks, and efforts are underway to find and trap a third that has been seen in local town parks and they do go after horses and alpacas on occasion after a cold winter and I see them occasionally. Some of this local news is available here:
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20140318/UPDATE/140318001/Second-cougar-trapped-killed-Eugene
http://ourcougarnightmare.blogspot.com/

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:35:11 pm by Danneaux »

triaesthete

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:23 pm »

Goodness gracious Dan, your planning makes the moon landings look like underprepared jaunts. I'm impressed by your mastery of detail and the sophisticated booking strategy.

Have a good time. you've certainly earned it.

Bonne chance!

Ian

John Saxby

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »
I need to change that approach for this trip and really enjoy where I am and what is offered in the way of regional food

Some suggestions, Dan:  
  >  Check out the apple strudl and apfelküchen, plus of course the coffee, along the Danube & into Germany.  Divine mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. Opinion is divided over ice cream or whipped cream -- I tilt a bit towards the latter 'cos you can add some to your coffee, and it's a little less sweet.
  >  Heavier, but still excellent, were the dinner variations on pork-apple-cabbage, esp in Germany.
  >  Found several good Italian bistros along the Danube too.
  >  Lunch on cooler and/or damper days:  Gulaschsuppen -- needs a bit of hot pepper sauce, but excellent calories.
  >  Choc bars:  Ritter Sport are the best I've ever tasted -- various flavours, but I prefer the Espresso. The Praline variant is pretty good too, as it the Jogourt & the Duo, the latter being layers of white & dark choc.
  >  Almost endless varieties of salami, but suggest you keep an eye out for pecorino (sheep's-milk cheese) -- not so very common in N America, 'cept in Québec in my experience. I've found that works very well indeed with salamis and you can get it in grades of hardness. When I was hiking in the Spanish Pyrenees with our daughter in 2011, chorizo and pecorino with rice cakes proved superb & quickly became our lunchtime default.

Think it's time for a snack...hope this helps,

J.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:50:56 pm by John Saxby »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:53 am »
Think it's time for a snack...hope this helps
Goodness, yes!

It's about all I can think about, now.  ;D

Ohhh, "goodness" is exactly what awaits me! Thanks so much for the food suggestions, John.

All the best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 09:03:14 am »
To my waistlines horror I have just found out that Lidl stock Ritter sport chocolate bars in the UK. This is bad.

The last few times I've been over to the states I got a money card from the currency exchange people. Its like a visa credit card but isn't credit, it only has the amount of money you put on it. Its a better way to carry cash than travellers cheques. I'm pretty sure you should be able to get one that works in Europe. You can also log on and top it up if you want and has the massive advantage that you can use it as a card in shops as well as just drawing out money. Plus I believe it gets round the whole charges for using your credit card in foreign countries con.