Author Topic: John o groats route help  (Read 8109 times)

PH

Re: John o groats route help
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 09:55:07 am »
I absolutely love riding through the night, some of my favorite Audaxs have a late evening start and all the 300's & 400's include a large proportion of it.  I don't in any way see it as an increased danger.  When touring, I wouldn't set out with that intention, it just wouldn't fit with the aims for any tour, I'd be out on synch with everything else I wanted to do, everywhere would be shut when I wanted it open and it would limit accommodation choices (If you spend all day somewhere it'll cost you two nights!) However, if I have no accommodation booked, and I'm having a good day, I will often ride into the night, finding somewhere off site to sleep in the early hours.  Much talk of visibility, two things - it easier to spot a lit cyclist in the dark than in daylight, particularly at certain times of the day, I was out yesterday and a low sun reduced my visibility and I was concerned that I could easily be invisible to an approaching motorist.  Secondly - When's ourclarioncall thinking of doing this?  Summer nights in the North of Scotland don't see much darkness, I've done a couple of Summer Scottish Audaxes where dusk transforms seamlessly into dawn.

On a more general point about cycling safety.  It's a shame the perception of danger puts so many people off, I know some of the behaviour on our roads if frightening, but the chances of an incident are very small.  I don't know that I'd get any pleasure from cycling if I didn't believe that. Or I might choose to ride the growing number of routes with a high proportion of traffic free sections.   

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 10:06:45 am »
There is a reason why there is no headlamp mounted on my bike in the photo.  I was not going to ride in the dark.  (Another photo from Nova Scotia.)

I had a headlamp inside my handlebar bag that I could attach to the handlebar with an elastic in event of a tunnel or the sudden urge to go to a pub at night.  So I was prepared for contingencies.  On this trip, all power from my dynohub went to battery charging, which includes taillight batteries.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 01:47:08 pm »
Back again

So, just had my first longer bike ride in a long time, it was about 15 miles to work. Seemed easy enough . Road was pretty flat most of the way.

I had my hiviz vest on , over blue jacket , and two flashing rear lights. Most cars gave me a decent amount of room , but I wouldn’t say the approx 5 feet or more they are supposed to. There were about 3 cars/vans that made me nervous coming past closer or at high speed. The worst is when they pass you right at the exact time an oncoming car is passing you on the right lane. I think of it as a sandwich , they are the jam and you end up bring one of the slices of bread. It seems like it also encourages other drivers behind to squeeze through too.

Anyway , that was enough to make me look up alternative safer sections to ride on where possible . Still enjoyed it tho .

Ok so I have about 12 weeks to get ready to go to John o groats

Thinking I might go through the day instead of night

If I did about 70 mile a day (which I can spilt up through the morning/afternoon /evening) I think that would be a good balance between not being away from the family too long and landing in good locations for hotels or camping

I would be looking to do
———————-
DAY 1 (tue 30th may)
 Peterhead to Elgin
  Accommodation - hotel

DAY 2 (wed 31st may)
 Elgin to ???
  Accommodation - ???

DAY 3 (thu 1st June)
 ??? To ???
  Accommodation - ???

DAY 4 (fri 2nd June)
 ??? To John o groats
  Accommodation - pre booked hotel with family
—————————
not sure about return journey yet, maybe do the same route backwards, or something different or bus/train etc

If I go for it I’ve Got about 12 weeks to build up some fitness and miles /experience. I don’t know how to approach this . Any ideas appreciated. I have about a 15 mile ride to work and same on the return . I could use this a foundation to build upon ? I could maybe extend my route 5 miles a week or something?

I also need to get my diet in order. I’m pretty knowledgeable in this department, research a lot about food and fasting etc. did a 9 day water fast a while back. So the discipline is there. At times ! I do love carbs tho. Thinking about keto or low carb diet to help lose weight as well as keeping my calorie intake consistent and not too high. Saying that , I love carbs 😄 and I kind of feel like my body likes carbs and I may need them for energy while riding long days. I dunno. Part of the fun is knowing in 20 miles youl be sitting down at an Indian buffet for supper 😄

Anyway , sorry I haven’t responded to everyone’s posts, family life is hectric . I do read them and take them on board. I’m also on my phone and don’t know what I’m doing with al the quoting and responding .

Cheers

energyman

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 03:36:12 pm »
That is on my bucket list too.  Still hoping to do it before you know what !
Have a look at   https://cycle.travel/
Best of luck.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 03:42:25 pm by energyman »

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 05:07:37 pm »
So, just had my first longer bike ride in a long time, it was about 15 miles to work. Seemed easy enough . Road was pretty flat most of the way.
 The worst is when they pass you right at the exact time an oncoming car is passing you on the right lane. I think of it as a sandwich , they are the jam and you end up bring one of the slices of bread. It seems like it also encourages other drivers behind to squeeze through too.
Ok so I have about 12 weeks to get ready to go to John o groats
If I did about 70 mile a day (which I can spilt up through the morning/afternoon /evening) I think that would be a good balance between not being away from the family too long and landing in good locations for hotels or camping
I also need to get my diet in order. I’m pretty knowledgeable in this department, research a lot about food and fasting etc. did a 9 day water fast a while back. So the discipline is there. At times ! I do love carbs tho. Thinking about keto or low carb diet to help lose weight as well as keeping my calorie intake consistent and not too high. Saying that , I love carbs 😄 and I kind of feel like my body likes carbs and I may need them for energy while riding long days. I dunno. Part of the fun is knowing in 20 miles youl be sitting down at an Indian buffet for supper 😄

If a long ride is 15 miles, in 12 weeks you might find a 70 mile ride in a day to be quite difficult.  If that is every day, that could be murder.  But it depends on hills.   If you can't enjoy a bike tour, it will be your last bike tour.  Maybe you can get to that point, it depends on your age and fitness level.

19 years ago for me, a 6 mile ride was a long ride. 

But I worked on it.  A few years later, got to the point were a 20 mile exercise ride was pretty good, but a 35 mile ride was a chore.

Then 14 years ago I did my first loaded bike tour with camping gear, a 50-60 mile ride each day was tough, but do-able and not bad enough to make me stop bike touring.

Then 4 years ago (just before Covid), did my first 200k brevet (126 miles).  That was the same year I did my Canadian Maritimes tour.  One fourth of my days on that tour were over 60 miles, those were the longer days.  I would not have wanted to do a 70 mile a day average.  You might instead think of a maximum that you want to do in planning, and then add a few zero distance days.

My Canadian Maritimes tour, it was 33 days on the bike, I had three days that I did not travel due to high winds and no travel for three days of rain.  Two of those three rain days, when I saw that much rain was in the forecast, I changed my plan and stayed at a hostel in Charlottetown for three nights to avoid the worst of the rain, did some sightseeing in a historic community instead.

Most of the snow has melted here, two days ago I did a 33.3 mile exercise ride, trying to get ready for another 200k brevet that is four weeks from today.  To be followed by a 470 mile bike tour.  Unfortunately for my exercise ride, I found one of the bike paths had not been snow plowed, was nasty ice (first photo) where it was shaded from very much sunlight.  But I could ride a 200k last year, so I think I can build up to it in four weeks.

My planned bike tour next month would be with an old friend that I have bike toured with before.  He has not bike toured since 2017, I have not since 2019.  We are planning an overnight in about 2 or 3 weeks, short distance, but enough to remember what it is like.  And to test our gear.  Plan is 20 miles each of two days, but on gravel so it would be slower than pavement.  We will be bringing our touring gear for that, as a test.

You might want to add an overnight tour a couple weeks before your trip.

Regarding being passed by a car at the same time that a car is coming from the other direction and for a split second you would be three abreast on the road, two cars and your bike, that is tough.  A couple times a year I pull off the road and stop if I see a car ahead and another car behind in my mirror where it looks like they will both get to me simultaneously.  Sometimes you can't get off the road if there is a steep embankment or something, you just have to hug the edge as close as you can.  It is worst if you are approaching a hill or curve where you can see both cars, but neither car driver can see the other car, for them it is a surprise when they get to both you and the other car and they have no time to think in advance what to do.  If I see a huge truck approaching me on a windy day, there have been a few days I stopped and pulled off the pavement so that the wind blast does not suck me into the traffic lane behind them as they pass. 

Diet?  I am not sure if you are talking for the next 12 weeks or if you mean food for the trip.

One pound of body weight is about 3500 calories that you removed from your normal diet.  It is not too hard to cut 500 calories a day which is one pounds per week, but more is harder and if you are trying to build up muscle at the same time, that is difficult.

After my Iceland bike tour, my physician diagnosed a bad protein deficiency.  I try to make sure that I get enough protein every day that involves significant exertion.  On a bike tour, I try to eat a protein bar with 20 grams of protein after I finish my riding each day.  Physical trainers will tell you that you need protein after a hard workout for muscle recovery.

For other foods during your bike tour, it is not a race so your exertion level will be low to moderate.  Thus, trying to only eat carbs like a racer is not necessary.  The article at this link is old and has old data but it is still one of the best articles that I have seen on the types of food needed for different exertion levels.  At low exertion, your body fat stores is enough.
https://www.roadbikerider.com/energy-sources-exercise-intensities/

That article was silent on electrolytes.  I try to keep some salty snack food in my handlebar bag in case I feel that I am just running out of energy where calories and water don't fix it, the next option I try is something salty for electrolytes.

Second photo, this is a great meal (fish and chips) for after a long day in the saddle.  I ordered it with double fish for more protein.  From the map I have on the table, I can say I ate that on Prince Edward Island.

JohnR

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2023, 06:29:48 pm »
The last 3 nights before JoG on my supported LEJOG were Drumnadrochit, Lairg and Bettyhill. You won't need to go as far south as Drumnadrochit and the Muir of Ord area looks to be about the right distance from Elgin. There's not much accommodation between Lairg and Bettyhill. The Crask Inn north of Lairg is a good refreshment stop.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2023, 08:17:03 pm »
The Crask Inn north of Lairg is a good refreshment stop
When I passed by a few years ago, they offer free camping in their garden. It happened to be midge central so I kept on going. Not that the midges stopped following me!
New owners now; accommodation is available I believe.

Camping site at Lairg has gone. Not sure about B&B's

Best Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2023, 10:30:57 pm »
When I passed by a few years ago, they offer free camping in their garden.
Indeed they do, though it's changed hands since I was last there
Crask Inn by Paul, on Flickr

PH

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2023, 10:43:01 pm »
Cheers
I think that's doable, just get as much riding as possible between now and then. If possible I'd aim to have done the same distance as your longest day a couple of times before and at least one pair of back to back rides of a decent distance.  Are you comfortable on your bike?  That's the one which makes completing such trips less likely rather than fitness.  As you say, it can be broken up into chunks and you have all day.  I have a preference for an early start, easier when camping rather than waiting on a hotel breakfast.  Then well over half the days mileage before stopping for lunch.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 12:10:45 am »
After a lot of frustration and changing saddles and adjusting stuff I’ve found a position that is working . I don’t think it’s ideal but not a lot I can do . It is pretty comfy tho . I’m a lot lower on the saddle than I’d like to be to get more power .

From a very deep analysis of my squatting technique which I did a while back I realised I have long femurs (upper leg bones) . So when squatting that sticks all my weight out the back and I have to lean forward with a weight extended out in front of me to counter balance . Combined with poor ankle mobility. No way I could do a normal back squat it would have to be a front or zercher squat.

So now I have a slightly better understanding of what’s going on when I’m sitting on a bike. Kinda

ourclarioncall

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 12:11:37 am »
That is on my bucket list too.  Still hoping to do it before you know what !
Have a look at   https://cycle.travel/
Best of luck.
handy website , had a look

ourclarioncall

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 12:14:50 am »
Mickeg

Mmm, that fish and chips looks good mate

My hometown is supposed to be the biggest white fish port in Europe. I think . Could be wrong . So we love our fish and chips here. Haddock deep fried in batter

ourclarioncall

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 12:15:53 am »
When I passed by a few years ago, they offer free camping in their garden. It happened to be midge central so I kept on going. Not that the midges stopped following me!

Best Matt
Thanks for info. Need to go have a look at the map again

ourclarioncall

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 12:17:14 am »

Best Matt

Oh, midges, forgot about them.

I remember as a kid visiting my granny in John o groats we have a repellent called jungle juice or something like that

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 08:14:34 am »
Oh, midges, forgot about them.

I remember as a kid visiting my granny in John o groats we have a repellent called jungle juice or something like that
Investigate Smidge https://www.smidgeup.com/. I bought some but the weather was good for cyclists so it wasn't put to a proper test.