Author Topic: Any Thorn Sherpa owners in the north east?  (Read 2103 times)

martinogorman

Any Thorn Sherpa owners in the north east?
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »
Hi there,
I am looking to buy a Sherpa fork/frame and build a touring bike. I guess the 560XL is the right size but would like to test ride one before comitting to buy. So, if there are any Thorn Sherpa owners in the north east (I live in Newcastle) that would be willing to let me test ride their bike, then very much appreciated. If not, then I guess i will go for the frame anyway

regards
Martin

jags

Re: Any Thorn Sherpa owners in the north east?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:01 pm »
hi martin i thought when i seen your post i would give you a ride on my sherpa as i live in the north east,but alas it's the wrong north east, and the wrong size .but i hope you bought your sherpa it's a great bike.
oh i live on the n/east of ireland and my sherpa is way to small for you.. ;D

Vintagetourer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:37:42 am »
As I live in the south east of Australia my Sherpa is even less accessible to you Martin than is Jag's bike in Ireland! However I can offer my comment on buying a bike from SJSC without doing a test-ride or even seeing the bike before the purchase. I bought my Sherpa from a long distance by email/phone using the sizing system on the Thorn Sherpa brochure. The process worked out well for my purchase. A perfect size and an excellent bike (Sherpa drop bar world tour specs) was the result even though the first time I saw and touched the bike was when I pulled it out of its cardboard box in Australia. This is the first time I'd bought a bike 'by remote'. Based on my recent experience, I'd commend the measuring system that SJSC have developed.   

martinogorman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:02 pm »
Hey thanks.....I went for it and am awaiting my Sherpa, well bits of it as I am building to my own spec...so another irish sherpa owner!

jags

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:48:58 pm »
make sure you get the bottom bracket faced on the sherpa i think sjs reccommend this job anyway.have you any idea what gear your putting on ,i have all shimano xt770 on mine,the only thing i dont like about the rear derailer is there's no barrol adjuster,so i bought from sjs those in line adjusters, never actually had to use them yet.so good is the job i done building the sherpa ,well actually my son done most of it.
;D anyway martin have fun ,im off up to northern ireland for the weekend touring. hope the weather holds out.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:07:41 pm »
Good decision Martin..I'm sure it will work out well. I'm very pleased with my Sherpa in all repects. It'll be great to hear how yours turns out.

Vintage Tourer