Author Topic: snow again.  (Read 7434 times)

John Saxby

Re: snow as usual...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 12:56:45 am »
Early March, we had the first of our usual 2 March storms, about 35-40 cms.  I had bailed out to Rio de Janeiro on a working trip--that's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.  My wife was not impressed by my ignoring my job description: when the snowplough came round and made a berm about 2 ft high at the street end of our driveway, the Berm-shoveller was in Rio and she had to cover for me so that she could get to work...  So in the interests of domestic harmony, we'll dodge our expected One Last March Storm and go to Australia's Gold Coast next week 'til mid-April, to see the kids and our first grandchild, just over 3 weeks old.  :-)  By the time we get back, all the snow will be gone 'til next winter (unless we get a May snowstorm!), the ice will be nearly out of the river, geese will be flying north, and we'll be into our two-week spring, with the 2-wheelers on the road, the crocuses poking up with the trilliums (trillia?) tulips & lilacs to follow.

Sometimes, about now, we think we'll live on a cold planet for the rest of our days.  At least, during the last few months of winter, we get a fair dose of sunshine, much more than northern Europe & Foggie Olde.  The usual euphemisms ensue, of course: "It's a dry cold."  "At least it's sunny."

J.

il padrone

Re: snow again.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 01:13:28 am »
Mulwala, Victoria, Australia  :o

Welcome, John  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:15:04 am by il padrone »

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 01:39:39 am »
Thanks!  This morning in SE Queensland we awoke to birdsong, soft warm air, and vegetation one could actually smell! Trees & flowers brought back memories of Southern Africa... 

Last Sunday, we drove to the West Country in UK through a mid-March snowstorm, of all things.  Pretty genteel by Ottawa standards, but I was glad not to have to test my rental car's all-season radials.  Marked contrast with the weather on my Monday visit to SJS Cycles--the Somerset coast was sunny, clear, and dry.

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:43:11 am »
WoWza!!!  :o

Looks like it could suck up anything!
'Ernie' screamed as the tornado took seven minutes to pass over his Toyota Landcruiser, almost toppling it.
As per http://media.theage.com.au/selections/i-went-through-the-eye-of-the-tornado-4131511.html (audio)...and... http://media.theage.com.au/news/environment-news/tornado-hits-victoria-with-150kmh-winds-4131591.html (video). In Mulwala NSW, at least, it looks like the end of the world. Is it extending down your way as well?

I lived for a year in northern Mississippi, about 130km south of Memphis. I can still remember seeing the little "tornado" icon in the corner of the television screen, counting down the miles-to-population and direction of passing tornadoes, and the percussive thunderstorms. Big changes in air pressure sucked-out three windscreens from a colleague's car and a thunderstorm cracked my bathroom window.

Best,

Dan. (...who is glad to again live where the only likely disasters revolve around the volcanic Cascades coming back to life and erupting, coastal tsunamis, and inland earthquakes...but nothing much deadly from the skies)

il padrone

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 01:48:39 am »
Yes, that really is a tornado - a good bit bigger than the normal summer 'willy-willies' we often get.

No, nothing like that down in Melbourne. It's 250kms north to Yarrawonga, across the dividing range and much drier, hotter and flatter up there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:52:06 am by il padrone »

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 02:05:57 am »
Have to say these twisters give me pause for thought about my prospective motorcycle trip across the US this coming July.  I'll head through the more northerly states west of The Soo--reckon the dodgy section is from the Mississippi/Missouri to the Rockies, maybe a four-day "Window of Windiness"?

When our David and Sarah left for the Gold Coast in Aug 2010, I gave them Bill Bryson's A Sunburnt Country -- the things that can come & get you here really don't bear thinking about...

J.

JWestland

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:10 pm »
Been snowing all night and day here and we just had a powercut...

Lovelyjubbly  ;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
9C in scenic West Cork today. Great, except for a few hours of heavy rain I slept through. At 6pm went for a ride. Cool, pleasant, just right for riding your bike, catching up after the long cold spell. -- Andre Jute

il padrone

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 04:13:48 am »
Mulwala tornado damage. Maybe not nearly as bad as they get in the mid-west USA, but still a virtually unknown experience here in Victoria  :o

They're now saying it was an F3 rating - winds of 250-300kmh........  :o

More details here, and some video footage here. More in a news report here.

Danny Janosevic's home, a caravan, flew 25 meters through the air and exploded on impact with Danny inside. After suffering some cuts and bruises, Danny then took off to help out neighbours.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/national-news/victoria/tornadoes-and-powerful-storms-hit-victorias-northeast/story-fndo4cq1-1226602134758#ixzz2OKq8E100

Every van in that caravan park has sustained some sort of damage, probably 90% of them will be condemned.

Just so very lucky it wasn't next weekend - Easter - when those vans would have been full of holiday-makers. Easter is a very popular time on the Murray. Potentially, many lives would have been lost.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:09:23 am by il padrone »

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 12:10:14 am »
Ouch!

John Saxby

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:46 am »
The cold & the snow one can manage, and often, even enjoy, esp when it's sunny.  Tornadoes seem other-worldly.  Check Wikipedia for "Phil Campbell, Alabama".  Terrifying.

J.

JWestland

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:45 am »
Snow and powercuts please, instead of tornados...

(the odd of that over here are low, though you never know with the weird weather)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

il padrone

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:27 am »
Tornados..... in Ireland ?

Never......  ever.......

Next thing you'll be suggesting they're in Scotland as well ???

:o  ???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:14:58 pm by il padrone »

Andre Jute

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 12:12:50 pm »
3ºC again, all day long. Too cold to cycle. -- AJ

ianshearin

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:07 pm »
Its beyond a joke now....
Managed 40 mins yesterday but that was a mission, cold biting wind.
Even the Golf course is closed......
 :'(
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'