Author Topic: Song for a winter's night  (Read 3087 times)

John Saxby

Song for a winter's night
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:17 pm »
Found this thread on CGOAB -- warmed my heart on a winter's night:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/board/message/?o=1&thread_id=452339&page=1&nested=0&v=1q#452339

These things really do happen, eh? -- I mean, there's a photo and all...

J.

il padrone

Re: Song for a winter's night
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:50:36 pm »
A  couple of years ago a friend of mine, when I told him about the history of Rene Herse, mentioned that he'd seen one of his bikes for sale in a local second hand bicycle store, for about $500.

He was distraught when I told him about how one had sold for something like $10,000 recently in the US.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:56:18 pm »
This things we pass up, eh?

A friend here bought a 1967 Raleigh from a place in Ottawa selling 2nd-hand bikes. He paid about $200 for it--the story is that it's one of 50 imported into Canada that year by Raleigh, as "replicas" of their Tour de France models.  My friend took it to his LBS to get it tidied up, and the mechanic asked him if he'd care to sell it -- probably not quite at the level of one of René Herse's bikes, but he kept his Raleigh, and finds it both easier and more comfy to ride than the trick aluminum Giant racer his kids bought him as a birthday present for $1500!

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:56:14 am »
Like the vintage Mercedes Gullwing-in-a-barn story, John. I read the thread through twice to make sure it wasn't a windup; it looks legit, but...

Man -- What a bike to inherit!

I agree with the one poster who thought his GT MTB would be better suited for the trip to China. Not that the Singer couldn't ably do it, depending in its construction...it is just too valuable at today's collector prices.

This brings up a tangential topic...

What do you do with such bicycle-related "stuff" when you either...
a) Can no longer use it
...or...
b) Die?

I have no heirs at present, and there's no immediate prospects in the offing. I'm kinda hoping whoever might end up with my bikes really appreciates what they are and what went into them. Not that it is the original poster's fault on the CGOAG thread...he is just not familiar with the classic French Constructeurs like Mssrs. Herse and Singer. No reason to be unless he was an enthusiast of classic touring bikes, a pretty small subset of the larger bike-enthusiast community.
-  -  -  -
I found myself on the receiving end thanks to someone who didn't know how to answer those questions above...

A decade ago, I went to put the mail in the box and saw a vintage 50s-style coaster-brake Schwinn cruiser bike left on my front lawn, bearing an unsigned note. The note was addressed to "The Bike Whisperer" (me, apparently), and said the bike had provided many happy days since childhood, and had been so much more than a bicycle -- rocketship, faithful trail pony, whatever the imagination could conjure. The bike had problems and needed an "overhaul" and it was mine to do with as I wished, and was left in the hope I would know what to do with it given its past.

Well.

Looking at the bike, it was well-worn, but nothing like worn out. The chromed-steel chainring and Ashtabula one-piece crank were basically sound, the flash-welded frame was Schwinn Stout, which translated to nearly indestructible. The problem? It had apparently run hard into a curb. While the forged(!) fork blades were okay, the steerer was bent midway through its length, and the upper and lower cup seats/head tube ends matched it, both tweaked at an angle. Even a new fork would not have made it right, and the frame and bike wasn't worth the investment it would have taken to round things out (essentially milling out the flash-welded head tube and brazing in a new one with brass and my oxy-acetyene torch).

I called a friend who retired after 25 years in the used-bike business and who specialized in restoring cruisers. He read the note, we talked, and both came to the conclusion the best way for the bike's spirit to live on was as a component donor. The parts allowed him to complete three separate bicycles, which he then donated to needy students. We hoped our decision would be congruent with the anonymous donor's wishes and the bike's ethos.

I'm occasionally asked by the families of passed friends what to do with their late-beloved's bikes, and how to find "someone who will appreciate them". It is hard, but easier now the Internet has Fora and interest groups for like-minded folks. eBay helps too, as the bidders obviously want and value their acquisitions -- even if they're only motivated to sell-on at a profit. Hopefully the last owner will appreciate what they get.

Strange things happen to old bikes, partly resulting from the sentiment attached to them. More than other pieces of sporting equipment, bicycles offer the opportunity for personalization and to reflect the owner's outlook. Nice to find a like-minded person to pass them to.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:08:51 am by Danneaux »

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:12:11 am »
Hi John is your friends Raleigh chrome by any chance? My friend had is bought from him in 1969 at a discounted price as it had stood in the shop for a couple of years by his father and he still has it and rides it regularly to this day. It is immaculate and georgous in every way.

Andy

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:10 pm »
Thanks, Andy.  My friend's Raleigh is a nice black-with-gold pinstriping (remains thereof).  Like your friend, he rides it regularly; but nowadays, not so frequently, as he has a back problem.

Dan's question of what happens to old bikes is a good one. (I too wondered at first if the writer was just winding up the readers; but decided that I was being churlish, esp because the original post had a touching bit of naïveté, not so common in our over-hyped age.)  When my wife first came to Ottawa in the late 1970's, I bought her a nice 5-spd Sekine, a Canadian-made bike of the day. It was very well made, and our daughter has used it for a few years as well.  It sits in a corner of my workshop, and I'm thinking to refurbish it next winter. Your Schwinn story has a nice ending, a "component donor".  I know people who are involved in donating reconditioned bikes to members of poor communities--but repairability is an issue there. Not taking the Singer to China is prob a good idea.

A more pressing matter for me is finding a good home for my mid-'50's AJS ex-comp scrambler, a 350 enduro bike, which I'll sell to make space for my expected Raven Tour.  I think I have a likely buyer--my brother-in-law's optometrist collects old motorcycles, and has 3 or 4 of the marque & vintage. (So, he didn't blink when I mentioned a price, ho ho ho.)  In a way, I'm displacing the problem.  Local  museums can be another option -- the point being that there's value in recording/displaying daily or recreational transport, not only high-end design.

J.

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 05:08:09 pm »
With the advent on the "make it yourself" fixed wheel crowd often old frames/components are given a new lease of life as commuter fixed wheels and "beater" pub bikes.

Which means instead of being put in a skip old frames/components are given a new lease of life.

(says the person who intently bought a 1978 Ciocc frame...it's older than I am!!!)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 05:13:33 pm »
...often old frames/components are given a new lease of life as commuter fixed wheels...
Wonderful thought, Jawine; my 1972 Windsor Professional as someone's Fixie! Off to eBay it goes, with that suggestion in the title.

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 10:43:09 am »
:)

This? http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/Windsor.html ?

I guess it has the longer forward facing dropouts old roadbikes used to have? They're great for fixed. New ones too shallow/wrong direction.

Such frames in the UK generally sell well depending on state/tubing/size they go from £100-£250. Rare Italian frames go £200 and up.

If you have vintage parts you don't use such as 80s campy stuff etc. again put on Ebay. It can net a few £££ (for SPDs maybe?) and if not at least make somebody happy as it's put to use.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:56:52 pm »
Yep, Jawine, that's it. More here: http://classicrendezvous.com/Mexico/Mexico.htm ...and... http://velobase.com/ViewBrand.aspx?BrandID=cb7eca9a-0c0a-41fa-a331-d6f1b0776d98

Bought the bike one day when a fellow from Sisters, OR offered it to my friend-owner of the used bike shop; friend had no room for it. The guy used to race the bike when he lived in San Francisco, then broke a head tube (common failing among Windsor Pros; it was overheated in production brazing at the Acer-Mex factory), and had it expertly repaired by SF's Al Eisentraut (Bruce Gordon's mentor back in the day). At some point, he thought to have it painted purple -- why, even he didn't know. He moved to Sisters, started a family, and no longer rode the bike. Offered it in three garage sales but no one bit, so it sat outdoors in Central Oregon's low-humidity powder snows for a couple years. Finally decided to try to unload it on the next trip to the Valley and there he was. Said he'd take anything to avoid hauling it back, so I offered a sum and he wrote out a bill of sale. It has been hanging unrusted in my garage rafters ever since. 'Near as I can determine, it is a 1972 model, 58cm as I recall.

Original 1972 Campagnolo NR high-flange hubs, Crank, BB, shifters, front mech, seatpost with Cinelli stem and 64 'bars.SunTour rear mech and Dia-Compe levers and sidepull brakes, early 700C clincher rims. Yes, very long-ramped rear drops with adjusters: http://cinellionly.blogspot.com/2011/11/distinguishing-cinelli-from-windsor.html

Be nice to sell on, especially at the prices you mentioned! I wouldn't be surprised if it became a faux Cinelli like many other Windsors. There's even decal sets available on eBay, and guess where they end up?

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks Windsors can stand on their own without pretending)

ians

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:23 pm »
I hate throwing old parts away - I have a garage full of bits that I always think will come in useful but rarely do.

I came across this organisation recently http://www.re-cycle.org and have decided to send parts to them rather than bin them. 

I also have a 1992 Kona mountain bike which is in pretty good condition - it's a had a respray (metallic blue-green) and some new parts - and has seen service as an indoor turbo trainer bike for the past couple of years.  But it's time to let it go.  I've decided to donate it to re-cycle - I like the idea of it perhaps transporting some kid to school in Africa rather than ending up as someone's pub-bike.  That's what old road bike are for.

ian

JWestland

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:53:16 am »
Dan you can try e-bay when weather is good, but sometime it's more satisfying to find an old cycles club, sell it for a fair price and see it get collected by a real enthusiast.

Ironically stripping and selling components may make more money...it's all what you'd like to do: Strip and sell on in parts on e-bay (after doing research) or sell it to an enthusiast if it's a fully working bike that needs some TLC :)