Author Topic: Swithering over Audax and Club Tour  (Read 28201 times)

jags

Re: Swithering over Audax and Club Tour
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:01 pm »
fair play to ya, don't forget the photos. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:26 pm »
just put down the deposit on a CT4 with Audax compents (effectively).   4 agonising weeks to wait...

Nah, it's just the right wait to get the right bike. If you hurried the decision-making to be able to order before the summer when the waiting lists are shorter, you'd forever worry about making the right choice. Now you know because you gave it the time.

There may be different experiences out there, but I can say for a fact that I have never been happy with any bike I bought without due thought and analysis of how I would use it, and how often, and where. At least one bike that I bought on impulse wrecked my back so comprehensively, the physio bought a new BMW every year -- on me; for years now I've given him the finger every time I see him on the road.

On the other hand, I can say most emphatically that every time I've given the time, sometimes months, to make the right decision, and spent the time talking to people so that they gave me exactly the right bike, I have been very happy with the resulting bike. It took two years to arrive at my present bike, but it'll be buried with me, it's so right.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:01:47 am by Andre Jute »

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 10:58:59 pm »
you're absolutely right, of course.   I had to chuck away my rear wheel when I got to Istanbul, it was worn out (10 spokes replaced on the way in) and I was trying to get under BA's 23kg limit.   So I'm currently without a working bike.   But I'm so desperate to get back in the saddle.   Will be all the sweeter when I roll up to Portsmouth, or wherever, on my new CT, en route to somewhere far away.

cheers,

triaesthete

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:57 am »
@jags, I mostly travel solo and I've done a couple of motorbike crossings of the Sahara.   I think that's where I fell in with the idea of the battle between the weaker half and the stronger half of your character.   I switched to cycling a couple of years ago (distance cycling).  You know, you ride a few hours and you start feeling a bit tired, it's time for a rest any way, and there's a petrol station/bar/cafe you can sit for just half an hour or so.   But that's just your weak half convincing your body to slow down.   You try to train yourself to be aware of yourself trying to convince yourself to take the easy option, it's a bit recurisive (looping) :)

Long distance is about overcoming this, and putting your stronger half in control.   Because you can ride a bit further, 10km at a time, even 1km at a time.   You just have to keep going.   10 hours turns into 11, 11:45, 12:37, 12:59, and you can actually make it to 15 hours.   It's the mental battle that's the appeal, the cycling itself brings the vistas and the glorious smells (pine forests, orange groves, fresh rain, etc) but it's overcoming the internal struggle that's the real challenge.

in all of this context, 750g of weight is nothing.

Sounds to me like you only just avoided joining the Shaolin monks or the Parachute regiment.  ;)

I think you have the right attitude for the race but make the most of it before your body breaks. And ride back afterwards to save the air fare  :) 

Happy days
Ian

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:50 pm »
if anyone stumbles across this thread, and is looking to buy a CT/Audax (or any other), I'd suggest establishing what frame colours are available before you convince yourself you want a Thorn bike.   

OK, so I turned out to be not that picky, and have taken what was in stock.   But you tend to get the impression (from the brochure) that "All colours of MERVC 853 forks are available...," and such like, means that you have a colour choice.   It didn't occur to me, before I made the 1000 mile round trip to the shop, that they simply wouldn't have some of the frame colours available.   If colour is a deal-breaker, check before you spend cash on the travel.

cheers,

Blue lotus

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 09:26:03 am »
Great to read all this! Keep posting!

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »
Looking at a mid-Sep delivery date (approx 4 weeks after deposit taken).   A week of riding around and then straight into a century sportive, with a ferry booked the following day to Zeebrugge.   Kind of essential it all fits and works as expected.

I've always used a B17 Standard (saddle), but have been curious about the narrower saddles.   Nothing wrong with the B17, but unless you try something else you don't know what you're missing (or not!).   Given the cost of Brooks saddles, it's a bit of a leap of faith I've not yet justified.   I've finally found a plausable explanation of the purpose/fit of the B17, Team Pro and Swift saddles.   It's plausable to me because of the different contact areas used in the various positions of upright/leant over/almost prone.   I get the 'sit bones' measurement and it does make sense for the upright/touring position, where you do literally sit on the saddle, but what about fast-touring or long distance racing?

NOTE: this is just a 'plausable' explanation, I don't suggest it is actually true or what Brooks would admit to (they seem vague, probably for marketing reasons).

B17 suits bars above the saddle riding
Team Pro suits bars level or slightly below the saddle
Swift suits bars below the saddle

What I've taken this to mean, when looking at Thorn's equally loose definitions are : B17 = relaxed, Team Pro = sporty, Swift = racing.   My Club Tour has been spec'd as 'fairly sporty' (you select this on the order form), so I've ordered a Team Pro saddle.   I will have my existing B17 as a backup and a baseline, but it will be good to experiment with the Team Pro.   I'll also try dropping the bars quite a bit, and see what effect that has on the feel of the Team Pro and see if I can find a point where it becomes uncomfortable.

cheers,

julk

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 02:42:07 pm »
As an OAP I now use a B17 and Flyer saddles which I find very comfortable for a relaxed position with riser handlebars.

I used to use a B17 narrow which suited me when I was younger and liked to bend lower with drop handlebars.
Worth considering for a racier position if you like the B17.
julk.

Neil Jones

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2014, 02:59:13 pm »
Looking forward to hearing of your opinions on your new bike when it comes.

I used to have a Brooks B17 with titanium rails and found it very good but changed to a Team Pro when I bought my RST about three and a half years ago as like you I fancied trying something different. My bars (flat not drops) are about 1 inch below my saddle and it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, I tilt the nose very slightly upwards to prevent me sliding forwards on it. I've recently acquired a used RT which came with a standard Brooks Swift, I've found it to be not as comfortable as the Team Pro although that's maybe because it is moulded to the previous owners shape and not mine. I'm planning on getting an Audax next year so will keep it for that bike.

Regards, Neil.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 01:01:25 pm »
First part of the new bike turned up  :)

in4

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
..and the most important part makes its entrance!

I have a Conquest and it really is a delight to use. Plus, like you, I've copper rivets.  :)

Look forward to your future posting!

jags

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:43 pm »
class.

Neil Jones

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 03:32:19 pm »
Class +1
Neil.

Swislon

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:03 pm »
New Brooks lovely!

I tried a black Pro and it needed more wearing in than a B17 so I'd try it before a 100 mile sportive myself.
You don't want to give yourself a sore a*rse after only 20 miles with another 80 to go!

I have also tried a Swift, both I had to sell on as I think my backside is a definite B17 shape.
Funny because I have a Team Pro from 35 years ago that was the best saddle I ever owned. It was soaked in Neatsfoot Oil for 24 hours before the shop would give it to me by an ex professional Wes Mason. It sure softened it up but now it is rock hard and shaped like my rear end.... ;D

Steve

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »
I tried a black Pro and it needed more wearing in than a B17 so I'd try it before a 100 mile sportive myself.

it will be character building  :)