Author Topic: January Sale - Thorn Test Bike Clearance Forum / Facebook Exclusive!!  (Read 10816 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: January Sale - Thorn Test Bike Clearance Forum / Facebook Exclusive!!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:41 pm »
All congratulations, John! Well done! Now, your long search is over and the enjoyment will soon begin. "Second" on Ian's call for ride reports once it is in your hands and under you.

Very nice outcome, indeed, having it end up with one of "us". Best wishes for many happy miles on it!

Best,

Dan. (...always nice, keeping it "in the family", so to speak)

bobs

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11:04 pm »
I have to agree with Dave regarding how to buy a Thorn.  Buying one of these bargains even though it's not your size is the way to go.
Finding a good secondhand Rohloff bike in your size is difficult. I bought a frame which was my size first and then bought the first good bike which came along, the size didn't matter. Swapped everthing across and then sold the frame. Very happy with the outcome.

Bob

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:56:36 am »
Hello,
Thank you all.
The great thing about this, is that I was looking for an Audax bike. I used to own a Thorn Audax 853 which was sold along with a Sherpa and a Winter and a Summer Club Tour! I was seriously ill and Hospital told me no more riding. I was devastated and slowly but surely with determination and previous fitness, convinced the medics to give cycling a chance. They told me ok but 5 miles maximum! My first ride earlier this year by Brompton was of course slightly longer. I did 20 at first attempt.
I have since then built a Club Tour and now have the Raven Sport coming soon. The Raven will be my day rides bike and will enable sea front sand strewn rides across to Swanage. I dare not with my Brompton nor Club Tour because of the sand.
Fortunately Bob this Raven Tour is my size and no need to swap things or purchase more. I am now very poor as having moved house this year it cost so much and the house needs loads of work. I am now on a back burner for some time.
I am retired early because of my health and have a standard state pension with no extras!
Thank you all once again.
Best regards,
John
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:43:53 pm by leftpoole »

ianshearin

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »
Bah Doctors what do they know! Cycling can never be bad for you, its the Eleventh commandment...

Sounds like you have had a tough time with your health John, lets hope 2013 is a good Year for you and your bike, and house....

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:32 pm »
excellent buy john really smart looking bike enjoy.

leftpoole

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »
Bah Doctors what do they know! Cycling can never be bad for you, its the Eleventh commandment...

Sounds like you have had a tough time with your health John, lets hope 2013 is a good Year for you and your bike, and house....

Ian

Hello,
Thanks for the comments. To put things into perspective, so that you can look up the medical side of things, here goes!
I suffer with Pulmonary embolisms in multiples. I have been in Hospital many times the past 4 years. At one stage my wife was told that I may die. I was so close to death I was asked if I wished the Padre to come. I take a multitude of medicens and inject myself daily with blood clot, busting drugs. I am enjoying my life as it comes. one set of embolisms damaged my left lung. One time my right heart ventricle was so enlarged I was placed flat and not allowed to even sit up in bed for three days. This Was because the clots had blocked my heart and the ventricle was pumping so hard it nearly burst. I am a stubborn mule and every morning when I wake, is another day to enjoy because I am alive!
Make the most of your lives as when your body fails you it could be too late.
Happy cycling during coming and many more years.
Best regards,
John
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:44:38 pm by leftpoole »

ianshearin

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 05:21:08 pm »
Well John, if that isnt a motivation for everyone to get out there and do stuff, nothing is.

Happy cycling this Year and many more Years to come.

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »
Hello,
Thanks for the comments. To put things into perspective, so that you can look up the medical side of things, here goes!
I suffer with Pulmonary embolisms in multiples. I have been in Hospital many times the past 4 years. At one stage my wife was told that I may die. I was so close to death I was asked if I wished the Padre to come. I take a multitude of medicens and inject myself daily with blood clot, busting drugs. I am enjoying my life as it comes. one set of embolisms damaged my left lung. One time my right heart ventricle was so enlarged I was placed flat and not allowed to even sit up in bed for three days. This Was because the clots had blocked my heart and the ventricle was pumping so hard it nearly burst. I am a stubborn mule and every morning when I wake, is another day to enjoy because I am alive!
Make the most of your lives as when your body fails you it could be too late.
Happy cycling during coming and many more years.
Best regards,
John
sounds kinda serious right enough fair play to you for getting out and about .

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:22:38 am »
Hi, quick update, my records wern't correct the 512L we had listed turns out to be a 487L!! ooops.  Looks like i'm not going to have time to do anything until, the end of this week so will extend the offer until 14/01/2013.  This isn't the DFS sale though that will be the deadline before they get listed and photograped on sjscycles.co.uk probably for a good £50-100 more than they are currently offered for.

Have a great week, Dave.

jags

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:01 pm »
dave would that bike suit a person 5.5ins or 5.3ins .my niece is looking for a bike.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »
Insert Quote
dave would that bike suit a person 5.5ins or 5.3ins .my niece is looking for a bike.

Assuming average proportions then yes

leftpoole

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »
Hello all,
My Thorn Raven Sport is now paid for! It will be with me on Wednesday. I am happily looking forward to getting out on the road on Thursday?
Best regards,
John

jags

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »
Assuming average proportions then yes

thanks will let her know  ;)

julk

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 06:18:14 pm »
John,
Exciting waiting for a new bike, but not as good as when it arrives!
Have a great time with the new bike on Wednesday.
Julian.

ianshearin

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »
Dont forget to let us know the gory details of breaking her in......
'shing xiong'