Author Topic: Thorn audax 853 for sale  (Read 13068 times)

jags

Re: Thorn audax 853 for sale
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:42 am »
BUMP
so cant believe  any of you lads are not interested in this dream bike ,i'm just about to pack it away put it into a dark closet never to see the road again :'(
your not going to get a better bike than this for audax light touring everyday use  900 euro its a snapcome on lads what are yis waiting for.

bye bye now.

anto.

in4

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 11:27:21 am »
Have you tried the CTC forum Jags? I'm sure somone would love it care of Santa. Bit of tinsel and away you go ho ho ! I'll put a link up if you like.

jags

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 11:39:48 am »
i did indeed but i'd rather give the lads here first refusal they all know what the bike looks like and how well i look after it.
ah if i dont sell it so well and good i'll drill a hole in the toptube and nail it to the wall ;)

jags.

leftpoole

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:14 am »
i did indeed but i'd rather give the lads here first refusal they all know what the bike looks like and how well i look after it.
ah if i dont sell it so well and good i'll drill a hole in the toptube and nail it to the wall ;)

jags.

I will drill a hole in your head if you do that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you still have it in the New Year I will buy the frameset off you and sell it myself. I will pay you what you paid me provided
 it is still in the condition it was then. Return with parts I supplied. I will build it up and it will be sold on Ebay.
How is that for confidence?
It is Christmas and nobody has any money anymore. We have a Conservative led Coalition government who have all of the money.....
Regards from the previous owner who found the size too small!
John
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:52:05 am by leftpoole »

jags

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »
yes john its still in great nick few paints chips that was on it when i got it but all touched up.i  tell you when it come to selling stuff im feckin useless never seem to get anyone to buy .if i could i would give you the bike for nothing but you know how i'm fixed stoned broke  ::)

but when i'm giving stuff away i have to beat the feckers from the door  ;D ;D

just thinking would it be an idea to swap the bike for a 50cm  audax or club tour .
mind you it would want to be in good order  not a gate ;)

anto.

Kuba

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 03:08:31 pm »
Now is probably not the best time of year to sell Anto. I advertised my Cyclosportif for a few weeks now on here and CTC, and had just one enquiry... May be best to hold on to it until spring, unless you take up John's kind offer.

jags

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 03:25:03 pm »
its going up to my bedroom its safe up there,
im in no hurry i have my friends bike to use for as long as i want so not stuck.pity i cant get a buyer here in ireland save me all that hassle and expensive.

anto.

Kuba

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »
Yep I feel for you. The Cyclosportif is safe in my bedroom too, but the winter is coming and I need a new boiler more than a third bike! Oh well ::)

dezza

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:43 pm »
Please would you send some pics/details and price etc to;
smep@smep.karoo.co.uk
Thank you,
Steve

jags

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:18 pm »
You have PM.

anto.

jags

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:37 pm »
Still for sale lads i'll drop the price 850 euro but no lower than that  ;)
i changed the brake leavers took off saddle there the only changes from the photos.
i've decided to give up this audax cycling well i never done any  ;D ;D
and as for cycle touring yeah it will never happen, so anto is going back to road cycling im gonna buy a lightweigh frameset and build it up im to old for fanasy stuff touring and such like in your dreams anto baby.
mind you i not going to make the mistake of selling all my new camping stuff i can always use the car for that lark. ::)
ok thats it lads one nice thorn audax for sale.

anto.

leftpoole

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 08:29:49 am »
Anto,
You will not go quicker with a lightweight bike, just feel quicker 1st time out ;D
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 12:19:30 pm »
aw not worried about quick john  to old for that caper :'(,but what I'm after is a bike that fits.mind you a light bike is so much easier to climb those bloody hills,the guy that built my buddies custom road bike reckons i should be riding a 48cm frame  :o
he gave me a go on one of his custom bike worth about 8 grand size 48 it felt like i was on a bullitt.

the bike i'm using at the moment is my friend's alu Sintesi light as a feather and he had a rack on the rear touring france never had a problem.if i can get the rack off him i'll try it out with my loaded panniers.
yeah i'm very disappointed about my audax i though it would be the last bike i'd ever buy ticked all the boxes,and when i use the custom lightwheels i have its a totally different animal  much smoother faster just a pity the feckin thing doesnt fit me.
pity i wasn't born tall instead of goodlooking sure a fella cant have it all ;D ;D

anto.

mickeg

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »
My Surly Long Haul Trucker feels really fast when I put 120 psi 25mm wide smooth and supple tires on it instead of the 80 psi 37mm wide touring tires with stiffer casing.  With those higher pressure tires, I think I can win any race, climb steeper mountains, etc.  I have two sets of 700c wheels, thus it is easy to switch the tires, do it a few times each year. 

Then I get home from a ride after using the faster tires and reality sets in - my average speed is only about 3 percent faster when I use the faster tires.  And, yes I changed the bike computer settings for wheel diameter, I am actually judging that 3 percent based on time to ride the same route.

Thus there is feeling fast on a bike and there is actually being fast on a bike, they are not the same thing.

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »
When I got the Trek Smover with its automatic gearbox
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGsmover.html
it was to join a Gazelle Toulouse with the same gearbox except manual
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGgazelletoulouse.html
 otherwise virtually zero difference between the bikes.

I can't remember now precisely how much faster I was over a daily ride I took probably 150 times a year, but it was in the order of 7-8%, very noticeable, easily measured, pretty consistent, just for having a bike on which it was automatic to be in the most efficient gear all the time.

I concluded that some changes do make a difference.

Mick, I woulda thought 3% was a difference worth having for an old roadie.  :D