Author Topic: The Right Choice.  (Read 10961 times)

doug

• The Cycle Hub
Re: The Right Choice.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »
Hi Jags,

I have an Audax Mk3 and love it.  Here's my 5,000 mile review in case you missed it earlier:

http://thecyclehub.net/thorn-audax-mk3-5000-mile-review/

For me it is a great all-rounder and I bought it with the long term in mind (i.e. steel frame durability benefits).  I bought the frame and got a great deal with my LBS building it up for me.

As for whether its perfect for you, it does obviously depend on the proposed use.  It will take a light camping load easily and yet it is comfortable and nimble enough for a brisk unladen blast in the countryside.  I started with 700x28 tyres, now on 25. 

Does this help?

Doug.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

jags

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11:50 pm »
Certainly does help Doug thanks all i need is the money to buy.

anto.

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 06:45:46 am »
all i need is the money to buy.

Ah, I wish I could wave a magic wand for you Jags.  Do those nice people in SJS have a shop soiled discount for such a prolific and loyal forum member?

Neil Jones

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:26 am »
Hi Jags, from reading your posts on the forum over the past few years I get the feeling that the Audax is the bike you really want in your heart. I bought an RST in 2011, it's a great, great bike but it is also a 'jack of all trades', not quite focused enough for spirited blasts in the country (although certainly not slow by any means) or for serious touring duties, but it is a fantastic commuter bike which is the reason I bought it for. I am now hoping to add an Audax to my stable this year and maybe a Nomad one day too. I'm sure they are both great bikes but I'd be tempted to go for the Audax, see how it handles with a load and if you think you need a fully fledged tourer maybe look for a nice secondhand one.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Neil

leftpoole

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:54 am »
Ah, I wish I could wave a magic wand for you Jags.  Do those nice people in SJS have a shop soiled discount for such a prolific and loyal forum member?

Doug,
I have just finished reading some of your 'Blog' which is a nice piece of work.
One though, you say 
"Audax Mk3 Steel frame using Reynolds 858 tubing"
Where did you read  or who told you this? I am not aware that Thorn Mk3 Audax is Reynolds tubing. Forks are Reynolds...........
John.

honesty

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:26 am »
Its not Reynolds. 858 denotes the wall thicknesses at the various butted sections. When i asked it si most similar to Reynolds 725.

jags

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 11:42:01 am »

cheers Doug yeah love a magic want meself ;D ;D
btw your blog is great i had already read it few more photos  would be great.
ah i dont mind waiting a while ,make the ride that more sweet ;)

cheers doug

anto.

jags

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 12:04:39 pm »
Hi Jags, from reading your posts on the forum over the past few years I get the feeling that the Audax is the bike you really want in your heart. I bought an RST in 2011, it's a great, great bike but it is also a 'jack of all trades', not quite focused enough for spirited blasts in the country (although certainly not slow by any means) or for serious touring duties, but it is a fantastic commuter bike which is the reason I bought it for. I am now hoping to add an Audax to my stable this year and maybe a Nomad one day too. I'm sure they are both great bikes but I'd be tempted to go for the Audax, see how it handles with a load and if you think you need a fully fledged tourer maybe look for a nice secondhand one.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Neil

yes Neil i agree with you for the type of touring i'll be doing it should be perfect.
i wont be carrying the kitchen sink, nor will i be doing any adventure touring like a few of the lads here :o
3 or 4 days away will do me fine, i enjoy the cycling more than i do the camping to be honest.
i'm a late bird always have been i go to bed late and get up late,when camping going to bed at 8 or 9pm wrecks my head  makes for a long night usually sleepless ::)
Hah just reading back on this post i sure make for the perfect cycle tourist  ;D ;D
but believe it or not i love it ,love seeing new places findind new routes love the idea of actually doing for me self when away for a few days. i'm spoiled rotten at home wouldn't boil an egg for meself worst cook on the planet.
so when i do go camping the best thing since sliced bread ,Stew in a tin... stick it on the gas stove and i'm fed happy as larry.
so yeah the Thorn Audax will suit me fine i have no doubt on that score.
cheers lads

Jags.

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »
Jags, Where are you based?  I ask in case you'd like a test ride to help you make up your mind.

John, I'll check the sticker.  Perhaps I made a mistake.

jags

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 11:09:30 pm »
Cheers Doug but i'm a long way from you Ireland.

ah i'm sure its the one for me seems to tick all the boxes.
it will be well into 2014 before i can afford to buy pity but all good things come to those that wait.
(and if you believe that) ;D ;D

i'm trying to sell my guitar to finance the audax but i have 2 problems about that .
my daughters wedding end of this month,and the wife has a holiday booked for may  heading to spain with her buddy not my scene ::)
so bike gonna have to wait yet again.

jags.

leftpoole

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:32 am »
Jags, Where are you based?  I ask in case you'd like a test ride to help you make up your mind.

John, I'll check the sticker.  Perhaps I made a mistake.
Hello,
No need to check the sticker really. I have three Audax bikes and they all are labelled Thorn 858
John