Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Rough friction Feeling

(1/7) > >>

Cruz:
Hello, maybe there was discussion about this issue, but could not find it.
When riding from1 to 7 speed i feel rough friction in hub and it is more noisy. Changed oil but it did not go.
what could be a problem? is it normal for new hubs? or maybe it need shifter cables to be adjust?

geocycle:
Welcome to the forum.  If you are referring to the well known noise in the lower range of gears especially 6 and 7 then it is all very normal.  There are quite a lot of threads on noise, including one active one.  Basically, this is irritating but gets better in the long term.

Cruz:
I am asking because from 1 to 7 i feel some rough friction and under pressure it feels more. and it feels really noisy and rough on 7 speed.

mickeg:
I pasted my post from a recent thread here:

--- Quote from: mickeg on July 16, 2018, 05:09:02 pm ---There are three planetary gear systems in the Rohloff.  Gears 8 through 14 are the gears where you are most of the time and those gears use two of the planetary gears, the third planetary gear is unused.  Gear 11 is direct drive, gears 12 through 14 are a form of overdrive.  When using gears 8 through 14 the hub is quite quiet. 

But gears 1 through 7 are like using gears 8 through 14, but with a low range, not unlike using a low range on a four wheel drive truck transfer case.  The hub uses that third planetary gear as a low range and that makes it much more noisy.

I noticed after my first oil change that the hub was quieter and I thought it was a bit smoother.  But gear 7 will always be noisy.  You get used to it.

--- End quote ---

I made my above comment at this thread:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13014.0

You might want to look at that thread for more info too.

There is a bit more friction in gears 1 through 7 because of that extra planetary gear, but in my opinion it is normal and acceptable.

I also saw your post at BikeForums.Net, but am only answering here.

John Saxby:
Welcome, Cruz!  Echoing the posts by geo and mickeg, gears 1 through 7 are much noisier than 8 - 14 (although the freewheel in the upper gears is noisier, and the freewheel in the lower is quieter.)

The noise of the hub does lessen with kilometers and age, and starts to lessen after the first oil change. Mine now has about 14,000 kms on it, and in gears 8 - 14 it is very quiet -- in #11, it seems silent. Gears 1 - 7 are noisier; gear 4 is the quietest in the lower range.

As for feeling friction, as you say you do: I can't feel any friction from the hub, even in the lower gears.  My shoes have very stiff soles, and I keep my chain relaxed, rather than tight -- maybe those two things absorb any friction which I might otherwise feel through the pedals?

Not sure where you are, but:  Could you find an "experienced Rohloff rider" to use yours, and offer his/her experience?  Or, could you find someone whose hub is well broken in, and try riding that?

Hope that's helpful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version