Technical > General Technical

Rohloff shifting issues

<< < (3/3)

wazzo:
My initial response was to demand a new hub until I spoke with the Rohloff expert in this country. He sounds 100% confident that the hub would not have been damaged. He also stated that if I was worried at all to send him the hub and he would completely rebuild it. The shop owner also gave me a letter documenting what happened so if there are any issues years down the road they will be taken care of.

The part that confuses me is that it DOES work great. I couldn't agree more that gears need oil, but it seems fine.

As for mixing cleaning oil and regular oil, that is what the Rohloff rep suggested, and I believe the owners manual says the same thing. I'm in the process of putting some miles on it with cleaning fluid/oil and will reassess after I drain that out and inspect it for any metal shavings.

stutho:

--- Quote ---and I believe the owners manual says the same thing
--- End quote ---

True - but they are talking about adding added the flush to old oil already in the hub adding a mix to an empty hub.

Anyway I hope your shifting now improves.

stu

Andre Jute:
Actually, Stu, I don't think they send the Rohloff box out completely dry from the factory. My understanding is that the gears have a layer of oil on them, maybe about 12ml, some quite substantial amount clinging to a lot of surface, the same amount as would stick to the gears in the event of a substantial leak. This is what allows Rohloff to say that a leaking/nominally dry box will suffer no damage if you ride it to until you can get it fixed or even to the next scheduled oil change.

The dealer is then supposed to add the 25ml from the kit supplied.

All the same, I agree with you, the OP should be given a new gearbox after such a gross failure by the dealer/service agent. And he should distinguish between a Rohloff "expert" and Rohloff themselves. I'm pretty sure Rohloff has an American operation and the facts should be put to them and their opinion obtained, or the OP should write to the factory in Germany ditto.

However, if an oil change fixes his shifting problems, I don't actually think there is damage in the box. But why take the chance if a new gearbox can be had for a little correspondence and pressure on the dealer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version