Author Topic: Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?  (Read 30695 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 01:39:06 pm »
Humm.
 While they are being baffled as to why they can't push the bike away my spokes are being given a right going over.
 :'(

Anyone ever heard of damage being done to a wheel in this way?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »
Uhh...no, not yet.

Hi Matt!

To be candid, this is the only remaining reservation I have about using a ring-lock.

I have set up test rigs with old wheels, queried my Dutch friends (ring-locks are extremely popular in the NL), and...

I have yet to induce damage by attempting to wheel-away a ring-locked bike. I really tried, too.

In theory, the spoke-nipple connection should break. Tensile strength of the spoke is sufficient it can't be torn in two by the (relatively) low forces used to roll a bicycle. I worried a heavily loaded touring bike and an attempt to take off in low gear might do the job, but so far -- on the test rig, 'cos I'm *not* going to imperil one of my Real Bikes, even for Science -- the answer is "no".

At a certain point, the weakest link in the system is the coefficient of friction between the tire and the ground. In every one of my tests, the tire skidded along at levels well below what would break a spoke and, apparently, a nipple.  Standing on the pedals in lowest gear might do it, but that exceeded the capacity of my test rig (an old frame fitted with wheels and a drivetrain with a piece of angle-iron u-bolted across the seat stays standing in for the ring-lock).

Even if a spoke or two were damaged in an attempt, I would consider it a smaller price to pay than a complete loss due to outright theft.

Playing further, I found a poorly tensioned spoke could be bent ever so slightly, but not parted as a result of the spoke or nipple yielding. A properly tensioned wheel showed no damage at all in my tests.

The results sure surprised me, and I'm still uneasy about saying there would be no damage in every circumstance, but all was well on the test rig and on the few occasions when I first installed the lock and tried to push the bike forward a few inches. When the ring-lock is engaged, it becomes immediately apparent the bike won't roll.

As far as deterrence...I count the stealthy or largely unseen nature of a ring-lock as a bonus. Better to surprise a thief with stealth security than to count on them being bright enough to avoid attempting to defeat something visible. For me, the ring-lock really shines when I have t be momentarily a meter or two apart from the bike and could not prevent a snatch-and-grab theft, say while I peeled off my tights or zipped on my jacket. On a ride I took the other day, the park restroom I stopped to use was large enough to being the bike inside the Men's Room, but not the stall. I felt a lot better with the ring-lock set while I took care of things and later washed my hands. Others have had their steeds stolen from that facility in similar circumstances, and I worried less this time around.

Remember, a ring-lock's greatest advantage is it is fairly lightweight (as these things go), and always on the bike, awaiting use. However, it is not the ultimate in theft deterrence. Unless fitted with a plug-in or add-on chain or cable, the bicycle can still be lifted and carried away (more difficult with a heavily loaded touring bike). I rarely leave my bike for any time alone, but will also pack the additional weight of a u-lock when I anticipate the need.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
Thanks Dan.
Pleased you found no serious damage from pushing the bike with the Axa lock closed.

One phrase you used jumped out at me
                 it is not the ultimate in theft deterrence

I immediately thought of a rabid Rottweiler chained to my Raven

:D

il padrone

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 11:50:48 pm »
Thanks Dan.
Pleased you found no serious damage from pushing the bike with the Axa lock closed.

I tried to wheel mine away one time when the ringlock was locked. Later on, when checking the wheel I have noticed a slight bend to one spoke.

One phrase you used jumped out at me
                 it is not the ultimate in theft deterrence

Nothing much will deter the determined thief ultimately, as illustrated only too well by the Neistad brothers.

I immediately thought of a rabid Rottweiler chained to my Raven

Now that would work  :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:52:26 pm by il padrone »

martinf

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 08:28:04 am »
Humm.
 While they are being baffled as to why they can't push the bike away my spokes are being given a right going over.
 :'(

I reckon it doesn't happen very often.

I have ring locks on two bikes left for visitors to use at a holiday flat we own. Over the years, visitors have done various sorts of damage to the bikes - bending a front wheel rim (I think probably by loading the bike with the front wheel still in the bike rack at the local supermarket), breaking a rear rack, scraping off a pedal end cap....

So far, no one has damaged the rear wheel spokes with the ring lock. One visitor did manage to lose the key, but I made sure I had 3 spare keys for each bike.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 10:02:45 am »
Spare keys?
Mine came with x2
How do you order more?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 05:17:52 pm »
Hi Matt!

AXA-Basta maintain a spare-key service, and their service is excellent, with quick turnaround time and speedy delivery. See: https://www.axa-basta.nl/sleutelservice/action/searchserial Root page here: http://axa-stenman.com/en/home/

So...why spare keys? Especially when the key remains in the lock when the bike is being ridden? Short answer: 'Cos it is possible to lose the key while off the bike.

And, because "different" kinds of keys are offered.

I'll explain...

The AXA Defender comes with two keys...and is available in a variety of colors.

Oddly enough, the color of the lock determines the *kind* of keys you will receive with the lock.

Most keys are a simple "L" shape. The fancy keys fold like a pocketknife and are spring-loaded, similar to a modern Volkswagen key.

The silver-colored locks seem to be the "premium" model offered here in the States, and they come with one folding key and one "L" key. I got the stealthy black-on-black lock to match Sherpa and transferred it to the Nomad; it came with two "L-shaped" keys.  I wanted a spare that folded so it wouldn't poke holes while carried on the little built-in key leash in my Ortlieb handlebar bag. This would be the emergency spare, as the key normally stays in the lock while riding, and I have a coiled wrist holder for use while the key is with me off the bike and the bike is locked.

So...again, why spare keys?

I got the (folding) spare to keep in the HB bag 'cos Things (sometimes Awful-Terrible Things) can Happen while on-tour. The little wrist-coil holder I have could snap and fall off my wrist if it has weathered awhile, or the thing could get caught while reaching for something. Id' be lucky to find it back again if it fell on the forest floor or sank in desert playa. At any rate, I don't want to be in the back-of-beyond, marooned with a locked bike having lost the one and only key I had with me.  So, I carry a spare!  ;D

Best,

Dan. (...who doesn't want to lose the only key while he's "locked and loaded")

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:05 pm »
AXA Defender arrived yesterday afternoon. What a chunky looking lock, bigger than I expected! Nicely made too. I included the cable lock (RDL Plus 1.8m 12mm thick for touring) and chain (RLC 1.4m Black for city/commuting) in the order ...

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=68

The AXA Defender fitting kit 'Older Type 16-17mm' is best for the Raven Tour (and probably the Sherpa too).

When fitted the AXA Defender actually looks smaller and neater, and in fact blends very well with the Raven Tour. No problem fitting though I think it may need a bit more adjustment to take a larger tyre. Currently I have Pasela TourGuard 1.75 and the clearance is fine. In future I intend using Marathon Mondial or XP 2.00 tyres and the clearance should be adequate (with that small adjustment to the position of the lock).

Dan, after visiting some gyms, office supply shops, shoe repairers etc, I gave up and located and ordered a black coil key loop on line from a UK site ...

http://onestop-key-rings.co.uk/black-wrist-coils-p-211.html

The project is near completion! Thanks all for the great photos and advice.

By the way, the Black AXA Defender from Dutch Bike Bits came with an 'L' key as well as a folding 'Fancy VW Style' key.

Does anyone know the maximum tyre size that can be used with the AXA Defender?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:27:16 pm by StuntPilot »

il padrone

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »
Don't know about the AXA but I have the very similar Abus Amparo and have used the Mondial 2.3" tyres with no major problems - did have to fit the wheel with the tyre deflated then inflate though.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:42 pm »
Hi Richard!

All congratulations on joining the AXA Defender club, subset of the Larger Ring-lock Community. Your membership pass will be arriving in the mail soon... :D

As for tire size, once past the smaller initial opening, I found plenty of room for my 26x2.0 Schwalbe Duremes, and -- by measurement -- for a 55mm tire as well.  I deflate my tires when installing/removing so they'll pass between the brake pads, so this was no added hardship.

So, yes -- 2.0in/50mm tires should fit fine!

As for the RT, it had the same stay dimensions as my Sherpa Mk2, so -- yep -- a good choice for it as well, and same with the 16-17mm ATB clamp mounts.

The wrist loop looks ideal, and I'm glad you got the fancy V-style key as well -- yay!

Of course, now we want to see photos of the installed lock so we can admire it!

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks a ring-locks adds to, rather than detracts from the bike's appearance and is considering one for his rando bike)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:42:08 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »
Dan

Yes, I have been a bit lazy in documenting the evolution of Torla the Raven Tour (stable name Ordesa Torla Reiver of Border  ;D). Next sunny day I will snap some shots of all the changes and add them to 'StuntPilot's Raven Tour' thread ...

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3916.msg17288#msg17288

Quite a few tweeks and changes! Very happy with the latest mod - the AXA Defender! Come on SJS Cycles - could be a market here!

Richard
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:27:21 pm by StuntPilot »

il padrone

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 02:53:06 am »
Thanks for jogging my memory about the ring-locks. Just ordered an Abus Amparo and the matching cable lock for my wife's bike. Now we will be riding thoroughly secure bikes and fit into the scene really well for our forthcoming European tour (Italy & Corsica)

;)

jags

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 02:50:29 pm »
you wont need a bike lock in italy  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 09:35:39 pm »
Richard,

One of the Secrets of the Ring-lock Society is...

If you're already using a Click-Stand, you can use the ring-lock in place of the brake lever bungees. Works wonderfully well to stabilize the bike on the stand and locks it at the same time.

Remember, it is a secret, so we can't tell anyone.

All the best,

Dan. (...who can show you the Secret Handshake and Greeting as well!)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:48 am »
Dan ... who told you this? Its supposed to be a secret!  ;D