Author Topic: Schwalbe tube valves  (Read 9692 times)

in4

Schwalbe tube valves
« on: October 25, 2023, 08:43:44 am »
An observation: Both my new Schwalbe tube valves unscrewed as I removed the dust caps. I was checking tyre pressure. I tightened both up no problems now. I wondered if the dust caps are smaller/tighter than previously and the valves had embedded a little.
Just a cautionary note. You don’t want your valve flying off into the bush whilst out and about.

mickeg

Re: Schwalbe tube valves
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 11:20:53 am »
I knew that Schwalbe tubes had removable valve cores, learned that the hard way wih my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pump that threads onto the valve core instead of clamps on.

But I had never heard of a valve cap causing them to unthread.

A friend of mine used a Shrader to Presta adapter to add air, when he went to unthread the adapter, the adapter and valve core went flying, took a long time to find in the grass.

I wrench mine tight when new, not a lot of torque but more than enough considering anything I thread onto it later is only tight enough to unscrew with finger pressure.

I think Dan said he used loctite on his.  After hearing that, I did that on some brand new ones I had, but if you do that be careful that you only get it onto the threads and not on the valve core seat that could cause a slow leak later. 

I started to carry a spare valve core and a tiny little valve core wrench when I tour.

martinf

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 12:22:25 pm »
I started to carry a spare valve core and a tiny little valve core wrench when I tour.

I added the valve core tool to my touring tool kit a few years ago after trying to mend a non-existant puncture (valve had come slightly loose).

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 03:37:48 pm »
+1 for carrying a spare valve core insert and the wrench for it in the on-bike kit.

It's an amulet, magically preventing further loss of a valve core on the road -- I haven't lost one since I added core and wrench to my tiny on-bike toolkit.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 04:19:26 pm by Andre Jute »

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 09:25:26 am »
I've only ever unscrewed one with a pump hose, but yes it can happen.
I don't know if it's by accident or design, probably the former, but the valve is usually the same size as the aperture on a chain tool, that's all I've ever used to tighten mine and since doing so I've never had one unscrew.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 05:19:43 pm »
...  the valve is usually the same size as the aperture on a chain tool, that's all I've ever used to tighten mine and since doing so I've never had one unscrew.

Thank you for posting that, I had never thought of trying that.