Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Oil other than Rohloff??

<< < (2/2)

bike_the_planet:

--- Quote from: robchis on September 04, 2009, 01:51:49 am ---Just to resurrect this old thread, if there's any other Rohloff Speedhub users in Australia, I'd certainly be interested in doing a "bulk" purchase of the oil among other people out here....

--- End quote ---

Robchis - my local bike shop/frame repairer here in Perth has just become an approved Rohloff repairer.

I asked them to contact the main Australian Rohloff distributor (based in Brisbane) with a view to bulk-buying some oil.

Apparently, according to Rohloff Australia, the Australian import regulations wrt safe handling of chemicals mean that it is too expensive to get the bulk oil deliveries approved and shipped here. Therefore Rohloff Australia only stock oil and flushing oil in the small bottles.

This is very disappointing as it is hardly cost effective to buy it the stuff.

Cheers,

Tony

robchis:
Wow. Thanks for the reply, Tony. That really sucks.  >:(

Maybe we can buy some from overseas, get it put on a shipping container by boat (so the dangers of transporting that stuff are allayed).

Does anybody know about the restrictions in Australia of importing large tins of chemicals (well, as large as the Rohloff oil bulk tin) and shipping that stuff around Australia in smaller quantities?

Rob

bike_the_planet:

--- Quote from: robchis on September 07, 2009, 02:05:21 am ---Wow. Thanks for the reply, Tony. That really sucks.  >:(

Maybe we can buy some from overseas, get it put on a shipping container by boat (so the dangers of transporting that stuff are allayed).

Does anybody know about the restrictions in Australia of importing large tins of chemicals (well, as large as the Rohloff oil bulk tin) and shipping that stuff around Australia in smaller quantities?

Rob

--- End quote ---

I'll look into it and see what I can find out. There must be an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the stuff.

As a matter of interest, my local repairer recently serviced a Rohloff for a german lady who had cycled from Europe via Russia to Asia and then Australia (including the Gibb river road).

Just to give her Rohloff a thorough going over, she had thoughtfully decided to do a few river crossings during the trip  :o.

When they serviced the hub they found that excessive water had got passed the seal along with bits of sand that had further worn the seal. This in turn meant that oil leaked for the last few thousand kms of her ride. I think she turned up at the shop with 11 of her 14 gears...

The shop had to completely dismantle the hub, remove the gear unit and replace the hub's main snap-in bearings which were rusted as a result.

What was really impressive, though, was that the gear unit was pretty much pristine. New bearing, gaskets and seals and it was shifting as good as new.

Whilst having some oil with you is a good idea, if you miss an oil change then I think, as this demonstrates, it's no showstopper.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version