Author Topic: Which Thorn?  (Read 2626 times)

scotian

Which Thorn?
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:09:22 pm »
Hi All, just joined,

Would like some advice from the experts. Currently commute 4.5 miles each way on a TREK 8000 hardtail. Its almost all cycle path or road with only one section of farm track (tarmac but breaking up a bit / plenty leaves puddles and loose gravel)
 I would also like to do some short touring in Scotland / northern Europe.
 I need a very reliable bike as I work shifts and have a Handover who wants to go home on time. Want to keep it up throughout the year if possible.

Note the hills are all on the way home (bit harder after the nightshift)

I am in my 40s and 98kgs so the bike needs to be strong.

The Nomad with Rohloff hub looks like the answer but I would love some advice.

best Regards,

Ian

Fife Scotland

bobs

Re: Which Thorn?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:39:37 pm »
Hi Ian,

the Nomad is a very fine bike but may be a bit of overkill for what your are doing. I have a Raven Tour which is a great all round bike.

Bob

Bowland Rider

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:47:42 pm »
How about a Raven Sport Tour.  Not that i've got one, but its the model im looking at getting very soon. 

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:22:52 am »
Ian, I would second the view that an RST is the bike for you.  My pal Crudson has a commute similar sounding to yours, and he swears by his RST - and I can second his views, having bought a used one this summer.  I haven't ridden a Nomad but for your purposes it sounds like a steamhammer to crack a nut, as the late, great Ivor Cutler would have said.  The RST gives you all the advantages of the rohloff, which is more or less mandatory for year round riding, with a lighter and quicker frame.  You can stick 1.75" tyres on if you want to maximise comfort, and you'll utilise a greater percentage of the bike's functionality than with a nomad, which is really built for round the world touring.

Read Crudson's entertaining, highly defined and stylised prose concerning why he chose an RST for his commute on my blog, links below.  Hop this is helpful.

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/king-hubby/

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/2009/12/19/a-big-mileage-report-from-the-north-west/

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:11:21 pm by Paulson »

Crudson

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:29 pm »
My pal Crudson has a commute similar sounding to yours,

Well, it's similar if you add 25 miles a day to the 9 mentioned!
[Thanks for nothing as always Paulson....]
My RST has had + 7500 miles of daily abuse
in 15 months and it just gets better and lovelier to ride.
[just don't ask how many tyres tho']
- and that's how I justify the initial big outlay.

Ian, don't worry if you're struggling to justify it - just get one.
You'll never regret it.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:06:20 pm »
scotian,

Welcome to the list.

I live and work in a rural area - my drive has a cattle grid.  There are also plenty of hills round here!  5 years ago I was riding a Trek 7700  for my daily 14 mile commute. I decided to upgrade to the Raven Sport Tour.  All I can say is that it has being one of the best purchases I have ever made. 

I now have just shy of 20,000 miles on the RST and it still performs perfectly.  I went for the drop handled version and I love it.  Other than commuting I have used it ever summer for light touring  and for day rides.  When the kids where small I had one on a child seat.  And I still tow the youngest on a tag along occasionally.  I can't say enough good things about it.

If you are still undecided about which model you may may to look at this thread  http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1208.0

stutho   

scotian

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:53 pm »
Thanks for all the replies,
Great help.

Looks like the Raven tour or Raven sports tour is the way to go. Just wonder if I am a bit heavy for the RST?

Regards,

Ian

bobs

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41:07 pm »
Hi Ian,

sent you a private message.

Bob