Author Topic: Thorn Nomad Mk2  (Read 6454 times)

sbseven

Thorn Nomad Mk2
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:50:27 pm »
The Thorn website now has a brochure on the NEW Thorn Nomad Mk2 (PDF, 13MB).

The Nomad Mk2 is designed to take suspension forks as an option to the twin-plate touring forks. It also is now available without S&S couplings and has a funky new colour - Tonka Yellow!

I've just read through the document and attempted to summarise the changes between the Nomad Mk2 and Raven Nomad (now the Mk1?) on my blog if anyone's interested.

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:54:04 pm by sbseven »

vik

Re: Thorn Nomad Mk2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »
Nice to see an option for a Nomad without S&S couplers.  I probably would have bought mine without them - although they have grown on me.  Glad I got the matte green colour...I like it a lot!

Does anyone have a copy of the high version of the Nomad S&S Mk1 brochure PDF?  I'd like to keep a copy for reference about my bike.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

mbragg

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:28:51 am »
Im glad i got the green as well!

I've put a copy of the HiRes Nomad 2009 MK1 brochure PDF Here (17.7MB)

Mike

vik

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:26:02 pm »
Im glad i got the green as well!

I've put a copy of the HiRes Nomad 2009 MK1 brochure PDF Here (17.7MB)

Mike

Thanks very much Mike!... ;D  I saved it on my HD for posterity.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

AndrewC

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:26:14 pm »
Interesting,   the original brochure for the Nomad Mk1 said it could be used with a suspension fork and recommended 2 different models. I used the Magura Odur for my Manali-Leh trip and had no problems with the handling.

Anyone know why they changed ?

sbseven

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:33:59 pm »
Was that in Issue 1 of the brochure, Andrew?
I can't find any references to suspension forks in my Mk1 brochure - Issue 2 May 2009.

The revised geometry of the Mk2 obviously gives a bit more stand-over height. Perhaps it was a bit tight for certain Mk1 frame sizes and suspension forks? Was the Mk1 originally offered with 80mm suspension forks only?

Shaun

vik

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:43 am »
I can't find any references to suspension forks in my Mk1 brochure - Issue 2 May 2009.

The revised geometry of the Mk2 obviously gives a bit more stand-over height. Perhaps it was a bit tight for certain Mk1 frame sizes and suspension forks? Was the Mk1 originally offered with 80mm suspension forks only?

Shaun

A fellow Thorn Nomad S&S Mk1 rider here got their bike with an 80mm Odur fork from Thorn. It handles just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my bike if I felt the need - which I don't... ;)

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

AndrewC

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:57:49 pm »

Shaun

I bought mine in 2007 and it was definitely an option then.

See http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1761.0

and http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=977.0   a long thread from when the Rohloffed Nomad was first launched with several people (including me) giving their first impressions of the bike.

sbseven

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:53:02 pm »
See http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1761.0

Thanks for that thread Andrew, I'd somehow not read that one! Interesting reading.

It does seem that Andy wasn't happy about a potential handling problem of the Mk1 with suspension forks during 2008 and that's why the option was removed. Even more interesting that nobody else ever felt the handling was compromised when they used suspension forks...

It also explains the design focus of the Mk2.

Shaun

StuWW

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »
A few pictures of my Nomad Mk2 for your delectation http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalicat/sets/72157623240086269/

Stu

Cake

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 04:00:54 pm »
Mmmmmm that is a thing of beauty sir!

bobs

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »
Great looking bike, the MK2 Nomand is about the best looking Thorn so far.

Bob

PH

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 07:02:29 pm »
A few pictures of my Nomad Mk2 for your delectation http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalicat/sets/72157623240086269/

Stu

Looks good Stu.
How are you finding the bar ends?  They're a new one on me, look like they offer a good choice of holds.

StuWW

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:56 am »
Hi PH, sorry for the delay in replying!

There Ergon GC3 bar ends http://www.ergon-bike.com/gb/en/product/gc3

They are not an option in the Nomad brochure, but I spotted them on SJS's site.

They are very comfy and offer a good selection of hand positions.

My only  disappointment with them was that the bar ends are plastic, I was expecting them to be aluminium. This has proved not to be a problem as the plastic is light weight and rigid.

I definitely recommend them.

Stuart

Rontana

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 08:58:16 am »
Hi PH, sorry for the delay in replying!

There Ergon GC3 bar ends http://www.ergon-bike.com/gb/en/product/gc3

They are not an option in the Nomad brochure, but I spotted them on SJS's site.

They are very comfy and offer a good selection of hand positions.

My only  disappointment with them was that the bar ends are plastic, I was expecting them to be aluminium. This has proved not to be a problem as the plastic is light weight and rigid.

I definitely recommend them.

Stuart

I would second that recommendation, as it allows plenty of room for those with larger hands to have both those comfy ergo grips and have bar ends, when trying to fit everything (including the Rohloff twist shifter) onto a set of narrow bars. something which wasn't possible when trying to use other bar ends such as the cane creek ones.