Author Topic: Your choice in cycling movies/film/cinema/documentaries  (Read 136172 times)

macspud

Re: Your choice in cycling movies/film/cinema/documentaries
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:37 am »
This documentary is well worth a watch: Dead Man Cycling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b064k1q5/dead-man-cycling

It's only available on iplayer until 10pm Thursday 03/09/15

The BBC program description:

Gold medal-winning Paralympian David Smith has faced many struggles in his life and career. The professional karate champion, athlete, bobsleigh brakeman, rower and now cyclist faces the biggest battle - for his life.

David Smith was born with clubfoot and came close to having his feet amputated at birth. After spending his first three years learning to walk in special boots and plaster casts, a career in Olympic sport seemed doubtful. However, that was just a hurdle he needed to get over and it was not going to hold him back.

David from Aviemore in the Scottish Highlands, is nothing if not determined. Despite his disability, he has succeeded in following his sporting dream first representing the UK at karate, Scotland at athletics and the UK at bobsleigh before deciding that rowing offered him the best possible chance of living his dream of Paralympic stardom.

However, nine months before London, David was diagnosed with a rare tumour on his spinal column and battled to regain fitness after life threatening surgery. Determined to win gold again, this time in cycling in Rio, David received devastating news that the tumour had returned and another battle against the potentially lethal illness started.

Dead Man Cycling follows David over the 18 months before, during and after his second spinal surgery. It is an emotional story of David's sheer inner strength and utter determination as he fights to live and ultimately regain fitness.

Never known to do anything by halves, David sets himself the seemingly impossible goal of attempting to cycle one of the world's most notorious cycling climbs - Mont Ventoux. Not once, but three times in a day - all just six months post-surgery. But, will the Dead Man Cycling make it?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:00:51 am by macspud »

rualexander

« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2015, 08:02:28 am »
Posted about that one a month ago macspud.

For those in the UK or otherwise able to access BBC iPlayer, good documentary on last night about Paralympian David Smith and his efforts to recover from spinal tumour surgery, culminating in cycling up Mont Ventoux three times in one day.
Available on iPlayer here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b064k1q5/dead-man-cycling

macspud

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2015, 04:50:09 am »
Ah yes, I missed that post. It doesn't hurt to have a reminder while it's still available though.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen

jags

« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2015, 05:03:27 pm »
Dan i posted a film months ago of an old french  audax rider cant think of the name  his first name was patrick i say was because he was killed while out cycling......

any idea where it is.
i checked this thread but no luck.

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2015, 05:23:18 pm »
Dan i posted a film months ago of an old french  audax rider cant think of the name  his first name was patrick i say was because he was killed while out cycling......

any idea where it is.
i checked this thread but no luck.
I remember it, Anto.

To find it, try this:

1) Go to the top-level of the Forum, the page you see that displays all the boards when it first opens. [If you want to search a specific board, then do the following from within that board.]
2) Under your profile at the top-left of the screen, click on the word "SEARCH". This will bring up the Advanced Search. This will allow you to do a more specific search than the Search box in the upper-right corner, which is the "simple search" option.
3) In the "SEARCH FOR" box, enter either "YouTube" or "Vimeo" (no quotes, try it first with one, then the other). In the "BY USER" box, enter "Jags" (no quotes).

The results will bring up all the YouTube and Vimeo videos you have linked to in all your Forum posts to date. Just go down the list, and it it should be in there unless the video was hosted somewhere other than YouTube or Vimeo.

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:14 pm »
Jags, was it Patrick Plaine? https://vimeo.com/58201809
Great film, think I posted it on here a couple of years ago.

jags

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2015, 06:31:03 pm »
Thanks Dan,
Rual spot on thanks a million i have the cuppa in front of me so i'll watch it again. ;)

anto

rualexander

« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2015, 06:03:04 pm »
Not specifically cycling related but BBC Scotland documentary on the work of the Mountain Bothies Assosciation is available on BBC Iplayer now for the next month. Not sure how the overseas forum members would be able to access it though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s1762

jags

« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2015, 07:41:04 pm »
Ah no available here Rual mores the pity.
still i think i'll have yet another look at patrick  me wee french buddy.

rualexander

« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2016, 07:13:40 pm »
Nice three part doco from BBC Alba available on iplayer (well, part one is, parts two and three still to be broadcast), two female mountain bikers from South Uist cycling the length of the western isles on and off road.
In Gaelic with english subtitles
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06w1n0r/episodes/guide
Non UK residents will have to find a workaround to access iplayer, I believe there are a couple of ways of doing this.

in4

« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »
Fabulous and I'm loving the Gaelic too; so onomatopoeic with the odd bit of English thrown in too!

rualexander

« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »
Anyone roasted a whole chicken on a Trangia burner?
The producer of the Firebox stove range does a good job in this video using a trangia burner inside his Firebox Nano stove and a Zebra billy pot as a camp oven. He has other videos baking bread etc using the same oven concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQqOL7Ohyc

in4

« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2016, 04:04:51 pm »
I do like that little table he has. I'm not sure I'd cook a chicken whole; far better to cut it into smaller pieces and personally I'd forget all about the salt brine etc. A litttle rapeseed oil and some cajun/jamaica jerk seasoning would suit me fine. Sure presses my hunger button regardless.

rualexander

« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2016, 09:55:09 pm »
Those with access to the BBC iPlayer might be interested in the latest 'Inside the Factory' documentary which visited the Brompton factory and followed the production of a Brompton bike, with a side visit to Brooks to see the saddle being made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07pmyd6/inside-the-factory-series-2-4-bicycles