Author Topic: Crossing the ford  (Read 13172 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Crossing the ford
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:43 pm »
Pete (the Il Padrone one this time),

Would it be viable to toss sticks or rocks ahead of oneself when contemplating a crossing in croc-infested waters?

Seriously, I wonder if this might bring them to light where otherwise they would remain submerged or do the "floating log" trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJXvsCLu6s

Best,

Dan. (...who would probably ask the wildebeest before me)

peter jenkins

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 05:18:02 am »
Perhaps you could carry an inflatable dinghy

Actually.... now I think of it... when I were but a lad time trialling in Perth (WA) one of the more mature gents would occasionally ride to the course on his training wheels (as opposed to trainer wheels) with his race wheels carried on brackets attached to the fork. I really can't quite recall whether the brackets attached to the axle or to the fork itself but the wheels being carried were probably a good 18 inches off the deck, which puts the hubs well out of harm's way.

Anyway... you can see where this headed. You could carry a pair of old spare wheels to be used for fording croc infested rivers with your real wheels carried with their hubs above the water level.

I saw a short documentary series a few weeks ago about Kakadu and the crocs were very real and numerous.

For those forum members not familiar with Australia, the salt water croc was suffering near extinction at the hands of shooters until some years ago when they became protected. They are now in almost plague proportions in Northern Australia and yes... they really do eat people.

Cheers,

pj

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 09:20:18 am »
Look more People are Killed by Hippopotamus  :o (Hippo's) then by Sharks or Crocodile's  :o

When your Number's up it's Up! So live Life and cross a few Rivers!

You can wait for a 4X4 to come along! (Yes this maybe a few days wait in some parts of OZ)
So be careful, Have Fun, and Live Life...........  :-*

As I find out Life can be over so fast  :o It's so good to be Alive and Wake up every morning  ;D

Pete..  8)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:45 pm »
I would not submerge my SP Dynamo front hub in the water.  Electrics and water do not get along.

If it was salt water (do salties live in salt water?), I would not even want to get my rims in the water.  My rims on all my touring bikes have a hollow section that I am sure once some salt got in there, the corrosion would start and never end.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 07:17:03 pm »
Good points, mickeg.

Don't forget the pedals and BB as well, Pete. Neither is likely to take kindly to submersion.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
i knew a fella that crossed one of thos croc infested  rivers on a bike.lord have mercy on him ;D ;D

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
The rivers are all freshwater. Crocs go well upstream in the northern rivers - never think a waterway is safe because it's away from the sea.

Dan, I have put pedals under water in the occasoional stream fording in the bush, and even been forced to ride with pedals sloshing into and out of water for many kilometres in one serious 'rain event'. I've never had any problems with pedal deterioration or damage from any of this. Not saying they survive unscathed, just that pedals keep on going and going..... Most people very rarely service pedals - the most unloved of all bike parts.

moodymac

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 08:52:49 pm »
I'm with you Jags.  Much preferring the dust to dust methods over the dust to croc poop way.

NZPeterG

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:10 am »
Hi All,
At the end of the day more people Die walking across a road then Fording a River.

Pete  :(

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 08:21:44 am »
Pete,

Best of luck on your way to the Opel mines as you Dodge the crocs while you Ford the river on Hyundai.

;D

Best,

Dan. (...who has plainly been awake too long)

John Saxby

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »
Those sharks are slacking off.

Don't think the sharks are losing their edge, Andre -- rather, we may have a categorization problem:  the 5 a year doesn't include the 59,995 who died of a heart attack just thinking of the possibility, or seeing a nearby fin, or watching re-runs of "Jaws", etc., etc.  Sharks now have such a scarifying rep that its ripple effects do their work for them...though for them, the food feedback loop may not be quite so immediate & rewarding.

The analogy in The Great White North [which awaits me tomorrow :-(  ] is that the risk of being killed by a bear in the Canadian bush doesn't begin to compare with the risk of driving to a campsite/canoe route/etc in the back country.

Andre Jute

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »
Don't think the sharks are losing their edge, Andre -- rather, we may have a categorization problem:  the 5 a year doesn't include the 59,995 who died of a heart attack just thinking of the possibility, or seeing a nearby fin, or watching re-runs of "Jaws", etc., etc. 

You're a wicked cynic, John. Seriously, I've been explaining for years that the truly dangerous animal to avoid is the hippopotamus, which is a foul-tempered beast, and unstoppable because it weighs several tons. I once put three magnum bullets into hippo and it kept coming. My bearer was in such a hurry to disappear up the tree, he climbed right over my back and stepped in my face, nearly knocking me off the trunk. The hippo tried chewing through the trunk -- not an unlikely ambition; I once saw a hippo take a bite out of the metal roof of a truck we were trying to rescue from a river in flood -- but fortunately lost interest and wandered away. I told the bearer, whose name was Jimbo Makwekwe, to change his socks more often. Later I heard Jimbo dined out on the story of how I missed with three shots at an animal that filled the whole horizon, and he singlehandledly pulled me up this tree... I retaliated by having my mate Andrew McCoy put Jimbo in a book in a most unflattering light.

NZPeterG

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 06:11:22 pm »
You're a wicked cynic, John. Seriously, I've been explaining for years that the truly dangerous animal to avoid is the hippopotamus, which is a foul-tempered beast, and unstoppable because it weighs several tons. I once put three magnum bullets into hippo and it kept coming. My bearer was in such a hurry to disappear up the tree, he climbed right over my back and stepped in my face, nearly knocking me off the trunk. The hippo tried chewing through the trunk -- not an unlikely ambition; I once saw a hippo take a bite out of the metal roof of a truck we were trying to rescue from a river in flood -- but fortunately lost interest and wandered away. I told the bearer, whose name was Jimbo Makwekwe, to change his socks more often. Later I heard Jimbo dined out on the story of how I missed with three shots at an animal that filled the whole horizon, and he singlehandledly pulled me up this tree... I retaliated by having my mate Andrew McCoy put Jimbo in a book in a most unflattering light.

So true, Hippo kill more people then anything out there!

We eat Sharks and its so nice, we call it by a few names!
So most people do not how they are eating Shark.

Be safe crossing the road and watch out for Hippo's when you cycle about Africa, or pass a Zoo....

Pete....

John Saxby

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »
the truly dangerous animal to avoid is the hippopotamus

Hippos are indeed serious critters, Andre, very territorial as you know. I'd guess that the vast majority of hippo casualties are the result of intent -- whereas the "deaths caused by deer", I'd guess, are the results of drivers colliding with deer.  Hard to imagine Bambi goring a passing cyclist, but one never knows, for these are desperate times in the animals' universe...

(Had to say something about hazards for cyclists, to keep this thread slightly on track.)

I was introduced to hippo-dom ages back when I was teaching in the Luapula Valley in northern Zambia, a big fishing area as you probably know.  The hippos' preferred mode of enforcing their territorial jurisdiction was to come up under a fishing canoe, capsize it, and wreak havoc among the poor sods in the water.  Occasionally, the hippo would just do the simple/direct thing & bite the boat in half.  One day, I was visiting the mission station at Johnston Falls/Mambulima for Sunday afternoon tea'n'cakes  beside the big river, and on the lawn, like a post-industrial sculpture, was a LWB Landrover missing its side -- a hippo had come up onto the lawn, taken exception to This Thing, fixed its tusks 2 x 2 below the rocker panel and above the roofline, and just squeezed. Echoes of your truck that got chewed -- frightening power.

Absent from the earlier list of Serious Critters was the moose, also territorial and horny -- you described its behaviour very well in your tale of the Iditarod.  The provinces of Atlantic Canada (esp New Brunswick and Newfoundland) and the US state of Maine, have a lot of car/moose collisions, and m/cycle-moose ditto.  Often, both moose and driver are killed.  Cyclists have to be wary too, especially in forested/marshy areas.

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »
"a post-industrial sculpture, was a LWB Landrover missing its side"

Yes, you know precisely what I was describing. It's sometimes difficult to tell people, less sophisticated and well-traveled than this forum's members, what it is really like in the Heart of Darkness. Essentially, for full understanding, you need to have been there, and to have seen the truck bitten in half by a half-blind animal from the ur-age.

Not that a hippo wouldn't be dangerous to a cyclist too. The thing is lightning fast over a short distance and can certainly outrun a man or a cyclists for a short sprint. Fortunately it has a short attention span.