Author Topic: Galsses  (Read 4619 times)

Matt2matt2002

Galsses
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:56:45 pm »
I need to wear glasses all the time.
Anyone any suggestions for prescription cycling glasses?
I am in UK

Thanks folks

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

Re: Galsses
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:16:25 pm »
i had to get new glasses myself from specsavers they carry a lot of sport eye ware some very expensive snazzy stuff.check them out.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
Did you have them on when you typed in the thread title?  ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
I wear Breitfeld & Schliekert model 8918, now called, for some obscure reason, Shoptic. The glasses consist of an earpiece set with a replaceable nosepiece, a prescription glass holder which clips in securely, and a selection of coloured lens sets which clip on to the frame and can be flipped up when you come inside.
https://shop.b-s.de/de/search/?q=8918&models=wshop.artikel&models=cms.pagede&x=0&y=0
Not overly expensive, depending on your optician, of course. I got two pairs to have spares and with glass inserts in one, the lot cost EUR 110. An irritation is that the soft rubber earpiece covers are not available for replacement but you can just use heatshrink tube, which is what the universal replacement supplied by Shoptic was before the markup... Otherwise apparently (miner are not two years old yet) well engineered, but I don't expect them to last as long as my Menrad custom frames, some of which are over 30 years on my face, and look like new.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:02:28 pm by Hobbes »

ZeroBike

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:49:36 pm »
I was thinking of getting these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNGLASSES-Performance-PRESCRIPTION-Interchangeable-Protection/dp/B005MJ6CXS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1358181977&sr=1-1-fkmr1

They are £80 which includes the prescription lenses and 3 different shades which means you can pick the best shade for the weather.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »
I was thinking of getting these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNGLASSES-Performance-PRESCRIPTION-Interchangeable-Protection/dp/B005MJ6CXS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1358181977&sr=1-1-fkmr1

They are £80 which includes the prescription lenses and 3 different shades which means you can pick the best shade for the weather.

They look like exactly what I have, only a slightly different shape to the earpiece rubber covers. The mechanics are the same, the nosepiece, the fittings for the Rx clip, and the overshades clip fitting, and the overclips are the same colours.

I have clear, shooter's yellow, orange, brown, and polarizing gray clips. The most useful here in Ireland are the yellow for night work and the orange for most days. The polarising clip is carried on the bike but rarely necessary; however, it was only a tenner so I'm not sorry I ordered it.

It might be smart for you to buy a complete spare frame, or spare parts like an extra nosepiece and an extra Rx clip, to ensure the longevity of these glasses, because buying from Amazon puts you even further away from the  suppliers and, as I explained above, I already had trouble getting spare parts, thought he local B&S representative when pushed supplied a substitute. Of course, this assumes you want spectacle frames that last. If you're buying fashion items to be discarded after a year, they'll last at least that long.

Ha! An optician that I promptly dropped sneered that I'm just unfashionable and cheap, that smart people buy new frames every year, that I should own different frames for different outfits. I listened, said thank you politely, crossed the street and said to my new optician, "Fashion is what I do to other people. Tradesmen don't do it to me. Are we in accord?" and he said, "I see herself has been giving you her sales patter." I wasn't the only customer who was brassed off by the woman's presumption and brazen greed.

BBB also has an Rx model in their catalogue. It's more expensive and less convenient (the tinted lenses have to be fitted individually). But at least with BBB you have somewhere to go for virtually guaranteed spare parts.

Andre Jute

ZeroBike

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »
Here is a link to, what I think is, the manufacturers website.

It appears that every part can be ordered separately.

http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/product.php/89/pro_performance_plus_rx_sunglasses_for_sport

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:32:44 pm »
...I wasn't the only customer who was brassed off by the woman's presumption and brazen greed.
She must have branched out with American offices. I just fired my optician/optometrist for similar tactics, made worse when he admitted to charging me for the highest-price lens, fitting a lesser, and pocketing the difference. "I usually get away with it", he said. Not this time.

BTW, you're in good company, Matt. Things really will look better overall, though cats will have fur instead of fluff and wrinkles will magically appear on the faces of loved ones. Bit of a shock at first, but the good soon outweighs the bad.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:01:12 pm »
Looks like Zero has nailed it.

Dan, those are the same cycling specs I recommended to you earlier, except mine are offered by a German firm. Multiple sources have to be good for us, thought these guys are quite a bit more expensive than my local specs pusher.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 07:16:31 pm »
Dan, those are the same cycling specs I recommended to you earlier...
Yay! Many thanks, Andre and Zero. I've been looking for these since, but hadn't found a reliable source on this side of the water.

All the best,

Dan.

ZeroBike

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:35 pm »
Yay! Many thanks, Andre and Zero. I've been looking for these since, but hadn't found a reliable source on this side of the water.

All the best,

Dan.

Awesome, well if you get a pair then please let me know how you get on with them as Im thinking of getting a pair myself.

They might not be the most fashionable, but IMO they dont look bad either.

There are quite a few lenses available for them (they come with 3 sets) and more can be found on that site I posted the link to

http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/section.php/37/1/prescription_lenses

What swings it for me over say Oakleys is that one set of lenses for Oakleys costs more than the entire set for these glasses.

I might be tempted to get something a bit more fashionable for off the bike but for actual riding these look great to me.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:54:53 pm »
Did you have them on when you typed in the thread title?  ;D
How very droll
 :-[

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »

jags

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 09:21:47 pm »
no that wont work i've tried believe me ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
Thanks folks
Anyone ever used safety glasses that fit over normal glasses?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-SAFETY-GLASSES-NEW-FIT-OVER-SPECTACLES-20-PAIRs-safety-gardening-DIY-/150978408543?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item232703b05f

For cycling? In a couple of hundred paces those will be steamed up.

You can also get ski goggle you can wear over spectacles, described as OTG for over the glasses. These breathe a bit better, and for a while I cycled in the winter with a yellow pair, until they steamed up at a critical juncture, and I had to go into the ditch when a car appeared to be about to run me over; in fact the car passed several feet away...

Even for just working in your workshop, if you're going to perspire, those safety glasses are not great. I wear large clear flipdown visor instead for drilling, grinding and suchlike; the air circulation all round it keeps it clear and your vision sharp, but it would be a bit difficult to ride with if you also wear a helmet...

Andre Jute