Author Topic: new light  (Read 3809 times)

jags

julk

Re: new light
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:49:17 am »
jags,
and what is wrong with that old everyready battery front light?
I remember upgrading mine to a special brighter 2w bulb.

Sometimes technology is wonderful :)
Julian.

in4

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:34:15 am »
That looks an interesting light Jags. Good find. The more I look into this topic the more interesting it gets and it seems the pace of development proceeds unabated. So far the Cateye LD1100 seems to do what I want a rear light to do but I'm still considering front light options.

jags

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 11:50:02 am »
im happy enough with my cateye and lezyne lights but if there better out there then why not.

jags.

snoogly

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:28:55 am »
That does look interesting, but I'd like it to have a 200 lumen setting too, for much longer run times.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »
im happy enough with my cateye and lezyne lights but if there better out there then why not.

jags.

Well matey, it's bloody expensive for one thing - about $100 more than my B&M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U, which works well for me. He'll it's almost as expensive as the SON dyno hub! ::)

I need to be able to see and be seen, not singe the wings off a moth at 50 metres  ;). (That's how the Lightforce spotties I put on my 4wd are advertised, and they do the trick! But they haven't prevented me from hitting kangaroos on two separate occasions, with expensive results.)

Believe me, I like bike lights as much as the next guy (besides the B&Ms front and rear, I have four Fiberflare lights and two amber sidelights, a Fly6 video camera/rear flasher on the helmet plus 3M spoke reflectors on board. I know... It's overkill, but I can't help myself  :-[), but given the speed bikes travel, their narrow travel path, and the exposure of the rider to all of his other sensory inputs, I think there is a practical limit in usefulness to the power and range of modern headlights. If a $250 headlight allows you to see something a few seconds sooner than a $50 lamp, you have to ask is it worth the extra dosh?

And then there's the propensity of cyclists to want to make use of all of those photons by aiming them as far forward as possible, which means right into the eyes of every approaching driver and rider. Nothing annoys me more than meeting a newbie with a blowtorch on the Fernleigh Track after dark. It destroys your vision for a quarter hour afterwards, and significantly degrades the experience of night riding. Then you meet another one... >:(

These things are great for industrial and law enforcement purposes, but I agree with snoogly - where's the real world setting which effectively means you only have to recharge once a week or less?

I find that in town, being seen is the predominant requirement for my headlight, and out past the street lights, my eyes adjust best to lower, more even light levels. Maybe it's cuz I ate my carrots when mom told me to... ;)

I agree it's exciting to see where the technology is heading, especially in LiOn batteries, now that we appear to have nailed high brightness, cool running, low power LEDs. 8)

Sam

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 02:25:51 pm »
Sam i'm  fecking surronded by three mental grandkids here,if only it was night time so as i could stick the lights on and head out, i'd settle for anything at this moment.

but yeah give me a top of the line  dynamo light any day of the week,one day i will have one on my audax but got to win the lottery first.

anto.

macspud

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:45 am »

Audax hopeful

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:11 am »
Or this:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-lumotec-cyo-60-senso-n+-switchable-led-headlight-with-bracket-and-standlight-prod18719/

£35.99 plus postage.

I bought one - a great light and excellent vfm. The whole Busch and Muller range can be a bit confusing in it's complexities, but though this one is I believe last years model it really is good!!