Author Topic: Central New York Nomad  (Read 4498 times)

bgp4

Central New York Nomad
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »
The wait is finally over!  I am very excited to report that I am now the proud owner of a yellow Nomad!

My first test run was on Saturday, but it was quick, since the weather was not cooperating.  Today, I went about 30 miles and so far, I am extremely impressed!  This is my first Rohloff and I'm in love already!

I ordered a set of Super C panniers earlier today.  Can't wait to get them on and loaded up!

Christine

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Central New York Nomad
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:54:29 pm »
Christine!

Congratulations on your new Nomad!  My, it is a lovely one indeed, and just "glows" with newness. Love the color!  You can surely be proud, and we look forward to many more photos of the two of you.  So happy for you!  Bask in that one-of-a-kind glow that comes with a new bike...no extra charge!  ;D

The Carradice Super Cs will look wonderful with the yellow, and I'm sure you'll be happy with them; they're fine bags, and the look of the waxed canvas just says "Expedition", plain and simple.

Any Big Trips planned as the weather improves?

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:56:04 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:55:52 pm »
Beautiful! May your bike bring you many happy and fulfilling miles!

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:31:52 am »
excellent well done looks 8)

Pavel

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:56:53 am »
Only ONE picture????

How'd you say it feels to get the best bike in the world?
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) :D :D :D

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:59:54 am »
I noticed from the picture that you don't have a front light Christine.  Which one are you planning on?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:27 am »
And, one of the most important questions of all...

Have you chosen a name for him/her/it?  :D

Best,

Dan.

bgp4

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:57:45 am »
Thanks, guys...  

Dan... The only extended trip that I have planned so far is the Erie Canal tour in July which runs from Buffalo to Albany... About 400 miles over 8 days.  Other than that, I will plan some shorter term... weekend trips... for now.  Unfortunately, work seems to be getting in the way of too many long trips!

I am new to cycle touring, but I am experienced with lightweight camping, as I have been kayak touring for many years.  Just changing the method of transportation... :)

Still working on the name... I will keep you posted!

Pavel... Only one picture for now... There will be more I promise.  As for a front light, I need to let my bank account recover for a bit but I am planning on the Schmidt edelux!

Christine

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:07:55 am »
Christine,

Just remember...there's no bad bike trip; a sub-24hour ride or lighting out after work on Friday -- even a backyard sort-out overnighter -- are all great ways to break in the new kit, get used to where things are stored in the panniers and...have fun, which is most important of all!  Every bit of time on the bike counts just as much as if you were going 'round the world.  Have you considered combining bike touring with kayaking? I've had friends do so with folding bikes and inflatable 'yaks, but it would take something pretty large to accommodate the Nomad. 'Wouldn't want to leave it behind, either.

As for names...maybe Tonka (given the color)? Or daffodil (given the color and season of arrival)?  How 'bout "Beautiful", which it surely is!

Real nice job on the photo but the tree and water; looking forward to many more.

Best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:22:03 am »
Ya know Christine ... it is a funny thing.  I think it is called Karma ... or inspiration ... or just nuttiness ... but you know how it goes, how it happens, right?  Ya plan for a weekend trip and the next thing you know ya just can't stop.  Ya just keep pedaling and pedaling and the next thing is that you haven't come back for a week.  Ya feel a bit guilty for never calling work, but jobs are over-rated anyhow and a week turns into a month and so on.  Blame it on the Nomad.  How'd ya think it got its name! :)

Now, I'm not trying to suggest good ideas to you - no, that would not be right ... but like I said, its how it sometimes goes with cool people on cool bikes.

Oh ... did I mention that it is going to be in the 80's here next week and there is this great little pub I know of ....

Like I said, I'm not suggesting anything ...
Isn't the sound of that Rohloff kind of hypnotic and relaxing?  ;)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:21:35 pm »
bgp4 - great bike. I was not sure about the Tonka Yellow from the brochures but seeing your picture it looks superb!

Looking forward to more live photos from your tours! Spring has sprung here so happy touring days ahead to you too!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:34:06 pm by StuntPilot »

in4

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
Fabulous bike! I'm working towards one of these so would be interested to know which handlebars you chose. I know Thorn sing heartily about comfort bars but the appeal of bar ends to me is great, particularly being a pianist, and thus a pair of 'straights' might be a better choice.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 07:54:51 pm »
I know Thorn sing heartily about comfort bars but the appeal of bar ends to me is great, particularly being a pianist, and thus a pair of 'straights' might be a better choice.

The new "Flat Track" bars are angled back 10 degrees - not as much as the 18 degrees of the comfort bars, but they look like they could take bar ends much more easily. Worth looking at, seems to me!

bgp4

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:08:35 am »
So I received the Super C's the other day!  I decided to put them on and see how the bike felt with a partial load.  I was worried that there would be too much weight on the back end this way but I did not seem to have any issues.  Of course, I didn't have that much weight in them.  Did about 20 miles on the Erie Canal trail on Sunday... the weather was great!

Also received a Click Stand which I am very impressed with.

StuntPilot... I was not sure about the Yellow either, and actually had second thoughts after I placed the order.  But now that I see it in person, I really like it a lot!

in4... These are the flat track bars, like JimK mentioned... with Ergon GC3 end grips.  I had the bars cut to 580 mm and I am very pleased with them so far.  Those end grips are great as well... very comfortable!

Did another 13 miles or so tonight after work as well!  I hope this great weather keeps up!!!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:21:39 am »
Christine,

The photos of the new Nomad look just fabulous, and so does the yellow color; really outstanding with the black trim and Carradice rear bags. Can't wait to see it "fully dressed" with the full kit.

Yes, aren't the Click-Stands something? Tom Nostrandt did himself proud inventing and manufacturing them. I can't begin to tell you how much easier and faster it is to load the bike solo with one.

So glad the weather is cooperating so you can take some trips on the new bike. Fingers crossed, it will hold up for you to ride some more in good conditions.

What a grand bike and a wonderful build-up.

Best wishes for many happy miles,

Dan.