Author Topic: Upgrade to XTR M970 V Brakes for RST  (Read 3294 times)

Relayer

Upgrade to XTR M970 V Brakes for RST
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:22 am »
After reading the glowing comments by Andy Blance in Thorn brochures about the merits of XTR M970 V-Brakes I began to think about upgrading since the low maintenance aspect appeals to me, and would go well with the ethos of Rohloff etc.

So, I was looking at them on SJSC website to find the potential damage to my wallet when I noticed there are different brakes for front and rear.  Question: since the front brake on the RST is 'back to front', does this mean I would need to buy 2 rear brakes?

julk

Re: Upgrade to XTR M970 V Brakes for RST
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »
My Thorn invoice shows that different SJS part no. front and a rear XTR M970 V-Brakes were fitted, and I have the rear facing brake mounts on the forks.
So it certainly works fitting one of each, but you need to refit the brake shoes on the front brake to be on the correct side and thus look like the rear brake.

Buying 2 rears would save you refitting the brake shoes on the front brake, the brakes do look identical.

Best to ask SJS for confirmation.

Relayer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:19 am »
My Thorn invoice shows that different SJS part no. front and a rear XTR M970 V-Brakes were fitted, and I have the rear facing brake mounts on the forks.
So it certainly works fitting one of each, but you need to refit the brake shoes on the front brake to be on the correct side and thus look like the rear brake.

Buying 2 rears would save you refitting the brake shoes on the front brake, the brakes do look identical.

Best to ask SJS for confirmation.

I got the answer from SJSC, as you suggest Julk, they fit one of each but refit the brake shoes on the front.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:19:02 am »
In suitably contrary style, my RST came with xtr v brakes.  However, while re fitting the brake cable yesterday, I noticed that the allen screw was turning very easily.  Further investigation revealed that the thread on the v-brake arm to which the cable fixes had stripped out.

My v brakes are 4-5 years old, but this was a bit of a shock.  Good job the failure occurred in the garage and not half way down Holme Moss!

I have ordered an XT rear off Wiggle, because in these straitened times, £23 for a good solid brake beats £60-odd for a fantastic one!!! 

julk

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »
In these straitened times I would be tempted to fit a slightly longer bolt through the stripped thread hole with a washer and nut on the far end.
Should be good for a few more years!

Cancel or send the XT brake back for a refund.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:22:18 am »
In these straitened times I would be tempted to fit a slightly longer bolt through the stripped thread hole with a washer and nut on the far end.
Should be good for a few more years!

Cancel or send the XT brake back for a refund.

Julian, thanks for the advice.  My only worry would be that you'd have to source an appropriately strong nut and bolt for the job, as this is the component that cannot fail!!! 

I've got the brake now due to wiggle's usual superfast delivery, so I'll keep the old one for emergency repairs using said nut and bolt method.