Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Emergency Fixed Gear Cog for Rohloff?

(1/3) > >>

vik:
In this thread:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1708354&tstart=0

....over at the Lonely Planet website a guy suggests that you can get a spare cog for your Rohloff to turn it into a fixed gear should you have an issue with your hub. Has anyone heard anything about such a product and if so point me in the right direction to find it.

If it was cheap and light enough I might be convinced to carry one as a "just in case" measure on longer more remote tours.

cheers,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

julk:
This sounds most unlikely, do you think this is just a wind-up?

But putting the thinking cap on --- the only way I can imagine this working with a reversed wheel would be with a cog bolted on to replace the disc brake rotor, this also assumes the hub gear internals are out of action yet the axle and bearings are still functioning.

As I don't have a disc brake hub I cannot check if the chainline would be ok.

If the chain line works out, then it would of course be interesting riding with the original cog potentially running through the disc brake caliper area!

jawj:
It is indeed possible to run your Rohloff hub fixed! (Using the disc rotor mounting, as suggested)

The bolt pattern and spacing of the Rohloff disc rotor is exactly the same as that of an inner chainring on a four-arm chainset. It's almost as if they designed it that way...

I don't know, but I'm guessing this is for situations when the Speedhub is used as a gearbox rather than being in the centre of a wheel (e.g. recumbents, trikes, other HPVs, etc.)

In an emergency you could run your bike as a fixie and all you'd need would be the inner chainring and fixing bolts (assuming you have the disc brake version of the hub in the first place...)

Both the chainring & the original Rohloff sprocket are much smaller than the disc rotor so wouldn't foul the disc caliper.

If you want a 22 tooth four arm chainring for free, just say the word, as I have literally piles of them lying around unused, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

stutho:

So those of us without a chain tensioner would also have to extend the chain by a number of links to get this to work? (unless you can get a  16T  4 bolt chain ring?)

Given that a totally knackered hub in all gears is so unlikely this sound like too much hard work to me. (But I am lazy, that is why I got a Rohloff in the first place! I would rather be riding than fixing / cleaning.)

brummie:
 I think this all stems from a product review in C+ magazine a while back - They reviewed a fixed cog which bolts onto a 6 bolt disc hub ( sold on the London fixed wheel website  - I think ) & the reviewer WRONGLY suggested it could be used as an 'emergency' back up on a Rohloff disc hub - which of course has a larger 4 bolt fitting !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version