Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Bottle material to split bulk purchase of rohloff oil

(1/2) > >>

greg-the-grey:
I am considering bulk purchasing the Rohloff gear oil and cleaning oil and splitting this to offer to others. I have enquired at SJS what the shelf life of the oil is, and was told this is a minimum of 5 years. So a reasonable spilt seems to be into 8 lots of 2 x 125ml containers. The bulk 1L cans seem to be metallic, however I am concerned that if I transfer these oils into smaller plastic bottles, these may become degraded by the oil, or oil affected by the bottles. So my question to the forum is; can someone tell me what material the existing single oil change 25ml bottles are made of? E.g. PVC. What recycling symbol appears on the bottles? The Website http://www.ebottles.co.uk/showbottlefamilys.asp?type=2&mat=plastic seems to indicate PVC is best for mineral oils.

julk:
The 25ml speedhub oil bottles I have are marked R30, 4902, PE.
The 50ml cleaning oil bottles have 02 inside the triangular recycle symbol.

PH:
I've never bought the small bottles.
When I split large bottles I used PP containers, they have a good chemical resistance and are common and cheap.  I used screw top 500ml tumblers from Wilkos 59p each.  Four years on there's been no problem.  I have some chain oil in Polysu bottle and some motorcycle oil in PVC, so there's a choice.
I never thought to ask if it had a shelf life.  I assumed as it's mineral oil that's been in the ground for millions of years it'd last indefinitely. I've had a look at every oil container I've got including Rohloff, none of them mention a best before, or a manufacturing date. I wonder what happens to it after five years.  I split mine four ways, so I still have plenty left.  A litre is enough for around 70 changes, I'd imagine that's more than many workshops do in a five year period.
One thing to be careful about is mixing the gear oil before splitting it, I don't know the components but they do separate.  A shake may not be enough and the small top stops you giving it a stir.  I poured mine out and noticed the third one was different to the first.  I put them back in, stood it upside down overnight, shook it in the morning and it was OK.
You’d think that Thorn if not Rohloff would recognise the demand for a quantity between 25 and 1,000ml.  I’d bet a quarter of a litre sold at half the price of a litre would sell well.  Maybe they make too much on the small bottles.

mountaincarrot:
Hi Greg,

Let us know if you decide to do this. I'd be be interested.

I've just bought oil for one change (my first) £££. Thought hard about a long term investment of buying vastly too much oil, and decided against it this time round!

jimmer:
Hi Guys,

Great idea. I'd be interested in taking part in such a scheme.

Yours, James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version