Author Topic: Best way to pack Thorn Nomad with S&S couplers for air travel  (Read 7107 times)

John H

I will be flying from USA to Ireland with my Nomad fitted with S&S couplers.  I have been told that this bike does not fit into a standard 26" x 26" x 10" case.  Would appreciate advice from anyone who has experience in disassembling a Nomad and shipping during air travel.

Andybg

Re: Best way to pack Thorn Nomad with S&S couplers for air travel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:37 am »
My understanding on the bike fitting in a standard case is down to the frame size and the amount of steerer that you have on the bike.

If you dont have a dedicated box for it, I would strip the wheels, racks, mudguards etc off the frame, remove the wheels, split the frame in two and then use pipe lagging to protect the frame and then pack just the wheels and frame parts up into one secure parcel with as much bubblewrap and cardboard as you need. I would then pack the other bike parts along with pannier bags and your clothes into a seperate bag/bags.

Hope this helps

Andy

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:32 am »
I got the soft sided case for the bike because I figured it will be a bit more forgiving of the odd quarter inch sticking out here or there. But I haven't actually tried stuffing the bike in there yet!

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:37:39 pm »
You did not say what size you have?

I will be watching this thread closely, hoping I learn from it.  I recently finished building up my Nomad size 590M.

Before I ordered the frame, I could not get a firm answer from SJS on what type of case or container the bike would fit in, but I concluded that if I traveled with the bike I would be willing to carry the fork in a separate duffel bag.  Thus, I asked a very specific question - whether or not the bike would fit in an S&S type case without the fork and was told yes it would.  I have a soft duffel I often use for airline travel that is longer than the fork, so carrying the fork separately is not a problem for me.

I also do not plan to carry the fenders and kickstand if I take it on airline travel, these items would stay at home.  I am undecided if I will use pipe insulation for the frame or if I will wrap it with that perforated rubber sheeting that some people buy to put on their kitchen shelving.  I bought some of that sheeting at the dollar store, I might use that instead, would likely use velcro straps to hold that on.

After reading this page on Co-Motion website, I decided that I would rather buy a soft case like the S&S backpack rather than the hard S&S case, in part because if I must I could fold up that backpack and carry the backpack on the bike.  
http://www.co-motion.com/index.php/information/faqs/which_travel_case_should_i_buy
This makes a lot of sense that a soft case can be as protective as a hard case, possibly more so.  While carrying the backpack on the bike is not an ideal solution, it may open up some options if I need to put the bike together in a location where I can't ship or store the case.

If I order the S&S backpack in USA, it appears that Niagara has the best price.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/s-and-s-backpack-travel-case-black

I have also considered getting a 26X26X10 cardboard box instead of the case.  I might still do that, although leaning towards the backpack.  If I get the cardboard box, my only option is to buy 10 of them, but if I do that it is still the lowest cost option.
http://www.staples.com/26-L-x-26-W-x-10-H-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes/product_404572

I am not sure but I think I saw somewhere on the internet a nylon bag that you can put the cardboard box in.  I would rather not ship the bike in the box by itself.

I know that I will need to be careful to keep the weight below 50 pounds, I have a tiny little luggage scale that I would also use.

Sorry that the best I can do is not give you a firm answer, but I have told you what I know here.  What size do you have?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:42:31 pm by mickeg »

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:04:39 pm »
I am not sure but I think I saw somewhere on the internet a nylon bag that you can put the cardboard box in.  I would rather not ship the bike in the box by itself.

S and S sells a nylon bag to go over the box for about $50. I think I got it from Bilenky, but don't see it on their web page at the moment.

onrbikes

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:29:38 am »
I've travelled too often with packed bikes but never an S&S.
Recently from Nepal didn't find a box and used stacks of the round foam. I did tie a rope so the handlers could use that. The bike box/bag would weigh about 3kgs (10%-15% of your allowance). Then I bought some plastic and wrapped it.
So from now on will forgoe the box and wrap it.
Just make sure any bits that touch each other get a piece of cardboard or foam in between and tied. When done lift it and gice it a good shake and make sure there's no noise or rattling. Over the Atlantic that'll become a dent.

I used stacks of cable ties and even more cut up inner tube and tied everything together. Here are some pointer from a few years ago that I did.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=103519&v=b

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:26:14 am »
Slightly off topic but relevant. I sold my Raven Tour and bought a SH Nomad S&S for my world tour. Mine is a Large size. Im 6ft. With the racks and the mudguards and my extra bottles on the uncut steering tube it's quite a bit of work to de-assemble to pack up and re-assemble on arrival. Because of this I have NEVER used the S&S!
When I flew to Istanbul I put it in a CTC see through plastic bag. I left the panniers on with soft items inside them.
I've flown with three different bikes now always in the plastic bag and never had a problem. It's now being used as the ground sheet for my tent :)
I've also never had a problem on a bus/coach or boat where Ive needed to pack it up. I'm yet to try animal transportation :)
It is of course nice to have the option. If I did not have mudguards , racks and a large size frame I'm sure I'd use the S&S a lot more.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
Well since writing my last reply I have actually used the S&S!!
I did have to take both racks, mudguards and forks out.And the seatpost out.
Flydubai has a limit of 35x55x90cm. I squeezed it all in a box that was no more than 5cms bigger than the two smaller dimensions and the airline didn't even blink.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 03:49:17 pm »
Well since writing my last reply I have actually used the S&S!!
I did have to take both racks, mudguards and forks out.And the seatpost out.
Flydubai has a limit of 35x55x90cm. I squeezed it all in a box that was no more than 5cms bigger than the two smaller dimensions and the airline didn't even blink.

What size frame?

Thanks for the update posts.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 05:26:52 pm »
my nomad is a Mk1 rohloff.
Size 590L
The wheels with tires left on were the widest part.
I put these either side of the frame and forks.
I left the pedals and crank on.
My fork steerer is full length uncut. this was the highest part. but still not 90cm high.
I packed my tent and matress in the box to pad it out.