Author Topic: Thorn Nomad 535L  (Read 3559 times)

in4

Thorn Nomad 535L
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:58:25 am »
Thorn Nomad 535L for sale. Beautiful condition. Spec' posted with photos. Here's the  link. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjw4EEd8 .

Bike on The Wirral.

Now reduced

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:23:16 pm by in4 »

Sluicing

Re: Thorn Nomad 535L
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:14:58 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your replies to my questions.

You wrote that the standover height of your bike is 760 mm.  Did you take this measurement 7.5 cm. back from the headset?  If not, will you take the measurement again and write the results to me?

Thank you so very much for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,
Tim

Sluicing

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:54:43 am »
Hello Ian,

I hope that you have been having a good weekend.

Thank you for measuring the standover height of your bicycle again.  Your bicycle is a good size for me. 

1)  What is the general condition of your bicycle? 

a)  Especially, I am thinking about the chain and the chain rings.  Do they have much life left in them or are they close to replacement? 
b)  How about the wheels and spokes and brake pads? 
c)  How about the wheel bearings and the bottom bracket?  Can these be re-greased?  If so do they need to be re-greased before I leave Britain if I buy your bicycle?
d)  Do you recommend that I have your bicycle serviced before using it on remote roads?

2)  I am wondering what "o.n.o." after the price of your bicycle means.  Will you explain? 

3)  Also, is the price negotiable? 

4)  How do you suggest that the payment be made to you?

5)  I am hoping to cycle in Central Asia this winter.  I am wondering about stopping in England to pick up a bicycle on the way to Asia.  I mentioned some changes that I seem to need made to your bicycle in order to use it on rough and steep roads:

a)  Thorn Comfort MTB bar.  645 mm wide (for rough tracks)
b)  Ergon GP1-L Anatomic grips
c)  Marathon XR 2.25" tires
d)  SKS P65 mudguards (silver)
e)  Thorn Mk5 Lo-Loader (with 6 mm fittings)
f)   cassette with 9 speeds in the range 11-36
g)  New gear levers

If I buy your bicycle and pick it up in Britain, how do you suggest I have these changes made to the bicycle before I fly to Asia? 

I have wondered about:

1)  asking you to send the bicycle to Thorn Cycles so that they make the changes.
2)  send the extra parts (that would be taken off the bicycle) to my address in the USA.
3)  or sell the extra parts in Britain through some company there

Where in Britain are you located?  I am wondering about picking up the bicycle in your locale and paying you for it at that time.

Thank you for your care and thoughtfulness in this correspondence.  I will appreciate any ideas that you give to me about these matters.

Sincerely yours,
Tim

Sluicing

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:12 am »
Hi again Ian,

I forgot to mention that I will need to replace the brake levers of your bicycle if I put a Thorn Comfort MTB bar on your bike.

Sincerely yours,
Tim

julk

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:12:35 am »
Tim,
The stem for drop bars is a bit short for comfort bars, you may like a longer stem to get enough reach.
The drop bar size is probably 26mm and the comfort bars are 25.4mm. A shim is available to take up the extra space, or if you are changing the stem you could get one for 25.4 bars.

I hope this is being helpful.
Julian.

Sluicing

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:13:51 am »
Hi Julian,

Yes, your note is helpful.  I had wondered if I would need to change the length of the stem but had not realized that the diameter of the comfort bar might be different than the diameter of the drop bar.

Thanks.
Tim

Sluicing

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 11:04:44 pm »
Hello Ian,

Merry Christmas.

Your bike is the correct size for me.

I have some questions:

1)  Is your bike still for sale?
2)  What is the widest tire that the frame is able to accommodate?
3)  If I buy your bike, I want you to ship it to the USA.  How do you suggest I arranging paying you for the bike and the postage?

Sincerely, Tim