Author Topic: New Paramo Cycling jacket  (Read 16568 times)

in4

Re: New Paramo Cycling jacket
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 08:55:17 am »
My Alta 2 Jacket is great. I've used it in all sorts of bad weather and its always kept me dry and warm. Its well designed and Paramo will do FOC repairs, provided you've not abused the garment.
Similarly, my Paramo reversable shirt is a winner for me. Its a rather shapeless, ugly garment in some respects but its very functional. You turn it inside out for warmer weather and, when combined with an outer garment such as an Alta or Quito, it works very well. Unlike other barrier systems condensation is minimal and, as others have said, you never sound like a crisp packet; useful of you are doing a spot of birding. They hate crisps  ;)

I've heard of others happily using Paramo smocks for cycling purposes but have not tried one myself. For me a Holy Grail type cycling jacket might be something like a Quito but with better cuffs, a wedge- shaped design and a detachable hood whilst still retaining a high-ish collar.

Neil Jones

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 09:38:49 am »
I reckon Paramo should employ you as their new garment designer, you are spot-on regarding the Quito improvements.

Personally I couldn't cycle in the Smock, it would be too warm and heavy. It's also quite short and boxy but I suppose if you just want one coat to do everything maybe it's possible.

Neil

PS The seagulls in Llandudno love crisps, especially salt and vinegar.

Kuba

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »
Right. Thanks for all clarifications regarding Paramo. I looked up Corrine Dennis as Anto suggested but not quite what I need, as it has to work on and off the bike. Also quite keen to see how NikWax works in practice, so just order Paramo Zonda fleece & jacket combo, which is similar to Bora but a female cut. £130 isn't bad for two garments that can be worn separately or together, depending on the weather. Will report how it fares in a few weeks (or rather months, if this weather continues!). Cheers!

energyman

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 02:27:27 pm »
Just taken delivery of a (now discontinued) Ciclo in Daffodill yellow, it is an "athletic fit" which is a bit tighter than the same sized Quito which I love.
The latest model is called the Ciclo Light but that is still being sold at silly prices.
Mrs Energyman did not comment which after 40+ years of marriage I still don't know what that means.
I intend to only wear it on the belt bike so I don't get it covered in grease marks (which adorn my Gortex).
Windy cycling today.

John Saxby

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 03:32:35 pm »
the ... Quito which I love

Appears from the Páramo website that the Quito is no longer offered.  If so, bummer :-(  as I was thinking of getting one bef my next UK cycling safari.  Not sure if there's a direct replacement for the Quito. If not, I think I'll look instead at a Ground Effects jacket -- the NZ dollar is closer in value to its wonky Cdn counterpart.