Author Topic: New Paramo Cycling jacket  (Read 16567 times)

in4

New Paramo Cycling jacket
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »
Whilst being singularly underwhelmed with my Quito as a cycling jacket perhaps Paramo's latest creation might be worth a look.

http://paramoinfo.co.uk/AWB-2VADK-251S5K8N9A/cr.aspx

bikerta

Re: New Paramo Cycling jacket
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »
Looks good. I have been doing a bit of research into the Paramo Jackets and like the look of the Velez Adventure Light or the Quito, but this may be worth saving up for.

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:42:35 pm »
how much is it .?

anto.

julk

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »
anto,
Paramo quote £200 for the new jacket. Most on-line suppliers will give around 10% discount for Paramo clothing.

I use a Paramo Vasco (not produced now) it works well for me as it is waterproof and breathes, but it is very hot and too hot for ‘summer’.

in4, I was thinking of getting a Quito for spring/autumn use - what underwhelmed you with your Quito?
Julian.

jags

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:45:50 pm »
Julian didn't you have you paramo stolen on some camping trip. :'(

i bought a few years back a Corrine Dennis winter jacket it works great but i would change a few things like the collor is terrible the pockets are set to far back and not big enough and like all waterproof jackets you will sweat like a dog in it other that that its a great jacket. ::)

anto

in4

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:36 pm »
Regarding the Quito:

Pros: Ventilation options are good. I like the combined sleeve/ pit zips. You can move the zips whilst cycling.

I like the two internal chest pockets; very useful for getting your sunnies out easily. I use one pocket for my smart phone with the strava app onboard.

The hood is huge and will accomodate a helmet

Its pretty warm and good in the wet.

Its quiet and you don't sound like a crisp packet.

Cons: Its poorly cut and designed. It billows in the wind and fastening the hood down makes the neck too warm and sweaty. Similarly the nape of the neck area. I invariably end up soaking around the top of my neck.

The cuffs are poorly thought through. I always end up with sweaty wrists and the fabric just holds the sweat.

I'm a bit long in the body so find it a tad short for anything other than riding. Any rain will drip onto your legs if you use it for walking; there is no 'skirt' or channel to guide it away.

I have another Paramo jacket; an Alta 2 which is really, really good. I also have a Paramo shirt which is also really good and its reversable too if you need to be a tad cooler.

Despite liking Paramo gear I would not buy the Quito again. I get the impression that no cyclist was consulted in the design process and it shows.

jags

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:15:09 pm »
so basicall at £200 its pure crap.

if my assos roubix jacket was waterproof it would be the best jacket on the planet .

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:13:23 pm »
I invariably end up soaking around the top of my neck.

That would be already too much for me. I wear a no-label departmentstore sale special which has lasted fifteen years, and is now so ingrained with filth on the bright yellow that no machine can wash out that it's an embarrassment.

In the meantime "proper" cycling jackets have come, and gone to Gorta (the local thrift shop) as inadequate in one way or another.

I'd like to buy a new jacket, but every time I see something that looks good, I hear something like this from an experienced cyclist. Looks like getting the right bicycle components is easy, getting the right gear on the bicyclist is hard.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:15:43 pm by Andre Jute »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 09:33:50 pm »
I wear this in the colder weather:

https://www.showerspass.com/products/mens-touring-jacket

They've replaced it with a new model which I have not seen. What I like about my jacket is that it has huge pit zips which let me regulate air flow to avoid overheating and getting soaked. Also it goes way down in the back, over the saddle. I have to fuss with that flap every time I get up off the saddle because when I sit back down I always end up on the flap, so I have to flip it back so it goes behind the saddle. But that's a big help too for keeping the saddle dry. I don't ride on a saddle cover. That little flap does most of the work making a cover unnecessary! So I don't mind the minor fuss every half hour or whatever.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:53 pm »
That looks like the business, Jim, and it isn't cut tight and crooked in the arms either like roadie jackets.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 10:44:30 pm »
ah another detail. There is that Planet Bike red clip-on light that I've kept on the saddle bag. But with the bag hanging and the light hanging, it ends up pointing pretty much down. On my long night time ride a week ago, I tried this and that method to make that light do some work. Well, there is a loop in the middle of the back on that jacked. Hang the light from that loop... I am leaning forward, the light hangs down... and it all adds up to the light facing pretty well backwards. Not that I could really see, but if I turned my head to look behind me, I could see the flashing light reflected off trees or whatever. That loop on the jacket is useful!

macspud

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:04:43 am »
so basicall at £200 its pure crap.

if my assos roubix jacket was waterproof it would be the best jacket on the planet .

Jags, the Paramo jacket which in4 was underwhelmed by for cycling was a Quito, The new jacket that he is refering to is the Ciclo.

I have been wondering about how it copes with cycling and would be interested in hearing from anyone who'se tried one. I was a bit suprised that there is no ventilation on the back panel which I think it would benefit from, the Vasco certainly benefits from having back ventilation and I had hoped that Paramo would of incorporated something along the same lines on the Ciclo.

I have designed (in my head) the jacket that I hope Paramo will get round to making but so far they've not read my mind, maybe I should put it down on paper and give them a wee nudge.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:53:27 pm by macspud »

julk

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 09:39:43 am »
anto,
Yes, my Vasco was stolen from the kitchen area of Barnsoul campsite on a bank holiday weekend.
I searched for a replacement and found a shop in Peebles who said ‘sorry sir we only have two on the sale rail’.
I went swiftly there and bought both, one for me and one for a son. I have also bought a nearly new one second hand for another son.

I find the Vasco really well designed as a cycling jacket, waterproof, breathes, lots of ventilation options including a rear shoulder vent, reflective trim, quiet in use, pockets inside and out, hood poppers on and off - stores in the collar. The only problem is it is too hot for UK summer wet weather…
I have tried lots of different materials over the years and the Paramo waterproof stuff works the best for me in the UK.

in4,
Thanks for the feedback on the Quito, I think I will hold off from buying one just now - but I do like the lighter weight/warmer weather feature.
Julian.

energyman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
I got a Quito in butternut for about 90 GPB (From the Paramo E-bay site - worth a look !) Had it for a year now and cannot fault it.  Even in very heavy rain and with the hood inside the helmet, I stayed dry.  Big enough for extra layers of warm clothing.
Maybe my body length etc is different. Only thing is, I altered the velcro on the sleeves so that I can push them up and keep them there in warmer weather. Far better than the other three cycling jackets I had from "proper bike clothing makers".  Wore it for today's bike ride - magic !

in4

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 08:49:22 am »
Thanks for posting your review energyman. Its very useful for another's experiences to be heard. I agree with you, body shape might be a significant factor in whether the wearer gets a good fit or not. I'm around 42in chest and 12st ( and diminishing!) so not a big lad. My Quito is a large so probably the best size for me all things considered.

Heading on over to the ebay site now...