Author Topic: Dynamo Hub Retro-fit  (Read 6749 times)

Mart

Dynamo Hub Retro-fit
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:19:56 pm »
Hi

Possibly a silly question, but is it possible to retro fit a Son 28 Dynamo hub to an existing standard wheel, or am I looking at a whole new wheel assembly?

Got a Raven back in June, ummed and agh'd about whether to go for the Dynamo and basically made the wrong choice, DT Swiss rim with Hope hub

Thanks

jags

Re: Dynamo Hub Retro-fit
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:51:38 pm »
spokes are going to be to long other than that all should be well.

but why  not just buy a dynamo wheel save you all that hassle.

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:07 pm »
We're coming into the time of the year when good dynohub wheels are cheap on German Ebay as the Continental manufacturers sell off the surplus stocks of dyno wheels they didn't build bikes with. Also look at Yatego, which is somewhat similar to Ebay. And check the big mailorder dealers: they can be cheaper than Ebay on postage.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:51:59 pm »

martinf

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:25:29 am »
A SON hub dynamo isn't compulsory. For sane prices, try this lot:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Radsport-/7294/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_nkw=nabendynamo+26&_ipg=200&rt=nc

From personal experience I would avoid the cheaper Shimano dyno hubs (these mostly have penultimate figure 2 or 3, like DH-3N31 and DH-3N20), they have significantly more drag than the mid to high range Shimano models and the bearings are probably inferior.

I find the mid to high range Shimano models with penultimate figure 7 or 8 in the designation are OK (from experience DH-3N72 and DH-3N80, probably also the similarly-priced ones labelled Deore, etc.).

No experience of the Shutter Precision dynamos, but they are are highly rated in tests.

Mart

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:03 am »
Thanks all, will look at those options. Suspect I'll go the new wheel route - just annoyed with myself for not getting a dynamo hub in the first place.

Audax hopeful

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:05:08 am »
I find having a spare wheel with dynamo to be a good option. In the summer the non dynamo wheel is all you need, in the winter you have access to lights whenever you want. I like to have rims and tyres matching to simplify the change-over.

Your "oversight" may prove to be a blessing in disguise!

Nich

in4

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:07 am »
This is getting interesting. I've no dyno-wheel and have been looking at battery-powered lights. Perhaps a new wheel with hub is a better option. I'm running 26" Sun Rhynos. Should getting another Rhyno with a hub prove difficult or uneconomic can anyone suggest  suitable alternatives to consider that are similarly regarded.
Thanks

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 12:35:58 pm »
guess it depends on what king of cycling you do,
i like the odd night ride and i only use battery lights only problem there is battery life .
so if you do any night cycling get a dynamo wheel.
these short days i use the cateye battery light on the rear .

energyman

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »
When I fitted a Shimano dynohub (or rather Bob the Bike did !) to my RST's 26 inch wheel he used the existing spokes.
Now I'm fitting a dynohub to a 700 wheel there is some speculation from my wheel builder that I will need to buy 36 new shorter spokes as "4 crossings do not make a strong wheel"
Comments please ? (assuming you can understand what he means)

Why Shimano hubs ? - one word - COST !
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:28:29 pm by energyman »

Bill C

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 02:58:02 pm »
From personal experience I would avoid the cheaper Shimano dyno hubs (these mostly have penultimate figure 2 or 3, like DH-3N31 and DH-3N20), they have significantly more drag than the mid to high range Shimano models and the bearings are probably inferior.

my experience is not the same i have a shimano nexus 32, all the reviews on the web say it's crap, and is Shimanos worst dynamo, i have been using it about 4 years on three different bikes done 1000s of miles on it and it's still running fine,
 it's powered two different supernova triple lights the new and old version also a supernova e3 pro (pants imo)
the tinterweb reviews say it has more drag when not being used that when lights are on! tbh i can switch them on or off when moving and can only tell the difference on smooth tarmac as the bars judder on cycle trail surfaces you'd never know they were on, apart from the screams of peds/dog walkers/cyclists stupid enough to look at them

also have an xt dynamo tbh there is no real world difference both slam out more than enough power to run supernova triples

save money on the hub and splash on the best lights you can afford, Supernova triple all the way for me  ;D

see and be seen  ;D

btw i bought the xt dynamo as a wheelset from germany for silly money

Mart

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02:35 pm »
The German eBay route looks interesting and cost effective, especially as my daughter can translate for me!!

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 03:42:47 pm »
I think I have a spare Shimano / Rigida wheel ready to go in my garage. Complete with tube and tire.

I never got round to selling it before I went on tour

Let me know if your interested and I shall dig out my machete in order to find it....The Truth is Out There!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

phopwood

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »
I have a Shimano 3D72 hub and a Mavic 317 rim (I think) pre built from www.bike-discount.de, I have had it 2 years and I am very happy indeed with it.  I have it linked to quality light front and 2 back from B&M again very happy with them indeed. 

When I first got the wheel I made sure the spokes were the same tension and never looked at it since.

All the best.

Peter