Author Topic: Tubus Airy pannier rack with disc brake  (Read 6815 times)

nks11

Tubus Airy pannier rack with disc brake
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
I've just taken delivery of my new Thorn Club Tour and I'm trying to fit the Tubus Airy pannier rack that I'd previously been using on my old bike.  My old bike had a v-brake on the rear, so fitting the rack to that bike was easy.  However, my new Club Tour has the Avid BB7 rear disc brake and I cannot figure out how to mount the Tubus Airy rack around the disc brake mechanism.  I know it must be possible because this particular rack is one of the options that Thorn offer on the Club Tour.  I admit that I'm a bit dim when it comes to these mechanical matters and I'm sure it'll be obvious once I know how. If anyone has any words of advice or a photograph that would help me, it would be really appreciated.

il padrone

Re: Tubus Airy pannier rack with disc brake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:00:10 am »
I don't know too much about the Thorn Club Tour, but on googling for pictures of the disc model I see photos of disc-equipped Thorn Club Tour bikes with no rear rack. or loaded Club Tours with no disc. The Avid BB7 is a mechanical disc brake with a wide plunger actuator, so not at all conducive to mounting with a standard rear rack. It may leave you with limited options:

1. Use a saddle-bag;
2. Get a disc-corrected rear rack; or
3. Fit a hydraulic disc brake (if possible).

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:52:17 am »
Hi nks11,

Our Tubus Airy racks are modified to fit the Club Tour, if you contact us on 01278 441505 we should be able to sell you some fittings to make it work.

nks11

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:13:15 pm »
Many thanks to both of you for taking the time to investigate and reply.  You have given me many options to consider.  It is very much appreciated.  Now I just need to decide which route to take.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »
Many thanks to both of you for taking the time to investigate and reply.  You have given me many options to consider.  It is very much appreciated.  Now I just need to decide which route to take.

Hi,

Did you decide what to do, as I am in a similar situation?   If you went ahead with this rack, how did you fit the mudguards?

cheers,
Doug

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »
Some of the brochure photos linked to this post might be helpful in visualizing the completed installation: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=10165.msg72553#msg72553

Best,

Dan.

nks11

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 10:16:32 pm »
Hi Doug

Once I understood that the Tubus Airy was not going to fit out-of-the box, things got a little bit easier.  I decided that in order to fit properly, it will have to be mounted approximately 1 inch forward of the threaded eyelets in the frame.  So, I rumaged about in my bike spares cupboard and luckily found two little brackets (I can't remember what they were originally used for).  I will attempt to attach a photograph of what I did so you should be able to see how I used the brackets to position the rack slightly forwards.
I have also managed to re-fit the mudguards.  However, I don't think I have done it in the way it is intended.  I think you are supposed to attach the mudguard spurs to the uprights of the rack with special clips but I didn't have any such clips so I just bolted the spurs into the remaining hole in the rack.  Again, I hope you can see on the photograph.
At the end of the day, I have so many nuts, bolts, washers and brackets holding the whole ensemble together that the super-light rack probably weighs twice as much now!  It's rather messy too.  I may be tempted to get a rack that has been designed more specifically for this bike like the one shown in Dan's photo.  You can see Dan's is much neater and tidier.  On the other hand, I might be tempted to ditch the disk brake.  It's the first time I've had disk brake and, so far, it's done nothing but get in the way.

Apologies if I haven't used all the correct vocabulary but I hope you get the gist.
I had to make the photo quite small for it to be accepted.  If you can't see sufficient resolution, let me know and I'll post the full size image somewhere else for you to look at.

Kim

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:56:26 pm »
hey Kim, thanks for you reply.   I feel your frustration (implied) with the whole business.   It depends on your riding style and context, but a disc brake can be much better than a rim brake.   I understand why you'd question it, because it's an absolute pain in the ass for racks and mudguards though.

cheers,
Doug