Author Topic: view this tent utube  (Read 15796 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: view this tent utube
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
nope  not the tent for anto sorry,if you look its like the akto tent in shape and size i hated that thing.
i could live with that tent sammy posted but man at that price they can keep it.
i'll get there in the end im in no big rush besides been broke i don't need it until next year.

thanks lads.

Anto, I'm not sure which tent Dan's been using (he's told us recently, but I can't be bothered searching for it), but it seems like it's taller than the Akto, at least on one end. It might not give you that same "coffin" feeling.

Just saying...  ;)

jags

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 03:30:52 pm »
Hi Sam, you must remember that Dan is an adventure cyclist sleep under a feckin rock type of fella, where as me is a complete wuss need me comfort.
the latest tent Dan  recommended is  good if i got my hands on that it would do me fine.
i wont be useing it to often,this wild camping thing is not for me i would try it with someone else but not on my own.
i suppose i could find fault with every tent i just want one i know i'm going to get along with i dont have the money to keep changing.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »
Hi Sam,

It is a Coleman eXponent Dakota 1, now discontinued along with the rest of Coleman's backpacking line of eXponent gear now they have decided to concentrate on car-camping here in the States. A shame, really, as it was tremendous value for money and moreso when closed-out at half price (USD$60). This is a design that was popular a few years ago, but continues to work well and is carried on in a few other inexpensive tents. One example: http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent.

Though it "requires" stakes, I've gotten along fine using loaded panniers or the bicycle itself as deadmen on hard surfaces. First pic below shows me camping in a Croation farmer's brick-lined hay crib to avoid the mines that were recently dislodged from their largely mapped locations by massive river flooding. This trick works with many tents and opens up places like parking lots and train stations for camping that otherwise would only be available to self-standing tents.

Headroom is ~1m/39in, so at 180cm/5'11", I can sit fully upright to change clothes, etc. "Small but spacious" is not an oxymoron here with a full-length side entry and vestibule so I can roll or step in and out and store things under cover. Space is panoramic compared to my former Gore-Tex bivy-tent which measured 61cm at the peak, 48cm in the middle, and ended in a sock with a top entry that required rowing in and out on elbows and heels. It weighed exactly 1kg all-up including stakes and stuff sack.

Not for everyone, of course, but a couple of grainy dawn's-early-light shots below show there's more room than expected inside my current home, which I call the Hilton Verde. I know there'll always be one room left at the Hilton Verde, no reservation required!  :D

I can surely understand why Anto wants something larger. There's no price to be put on a good night's sleep!

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:32 pm »
Hi All!

Several people have now written to ask why I advocated a good though inexpensive tent when they know I have "better" in reserve. Given Anto's (jags') desire to get the perfect tent for himself at a good price, I thought it might be helpful to answer here rather than by PM.

Earlier this year, a friend gifted me his near-as-new Terra Nova Laser Competition 1, a truly premium one-person tent I chose to leave home on this last extended trip, knowing full well I wouldn't be able to give it the care it deserved on this journey and would put the equivalent of years of use on it in just four months.

Starting each day before dawn and ending at sunset, my tent was almost always packed wet, often steaming atop the rear rack as the day warmed and then sometimes grew torrid. This is a proven killer of tents, steaming the tape off sealed seams and promoting mildew. When it wasn't raining, I had condensing humidity to contend with in river valleys and heavy dewfall. Though I did my best to shake off the water and swab things as dry as possible, the tent still packed wet more often than not.

The last couple weeks of use, I smelled the sharp tang of mildew on the mesh above my head, where my nighttime breath condensed. Amazingly, a quick swab with white vinegar after my return removed the mildew and stopped it in its tracks. Coleman's tape stayed securely applied as well, assuring waterproofness past my manual sealing.

Often pitched and decamped in darkness, my tent found its share of berry vines and acacia thorns. It fared well, but I'm not sure a more delicate silnylon would have endured such treatment so nicely. With respect for the materials, my benefactor agreed the Coleman was the better choice for _this_ extended trip and conditions.

That said, I saw any number of very expensive tents come to grief with expensive consequences for my fellow cyclists this trip. Mildew was the main culprit for the reasons cited above -- peeling floors, flies, and sealing tapes and leaving behind that distinctive odor. Pitch-in-one tents seemed most affected, mostly 'cos people were less inclined to partially disassemble them to swab condensation off the underside of the fly before packing the lot away.

What a contrast to the 30+ years of service my Gore-Tex bivy tent rendered in the drier deserts and forests -- even rain forests! -- of less humid western North America! Where and how you use and pack a tent really can make a dramatic difference in its practical service life.

Too, so long as the design and materials of a good cheap tent are appropriate to the expected conditions and can remain both dry and intact in rain and wind (the alternative is one nobody wants and the results can be dangerous or fatal), money saved on portable lodging can go a long way toward funding longer or more frequent travel. That's why I have the Terra Nova...and three of the USD$60 Colemans, which do the heavy lifting more often than not. That's also why I endorsed good cheap tents. Bad cheap tents do no one any favors, and are best passed by. The very definition of value is getting more than you paid for. The trick is to find great value that includes the very features important to you and appropriate to use. Best to jags and all of us on finding that perfect combination of livability and value.

Dan.

jags

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:11:03 pm »
Ah but Dan boy thats why i keep pestering you on what gear i should buy.you havent put me wrong yet.

;D ;D ;D

anto.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 08:30:21 pm »
Several people have now written to ask why I advocated a good though inexpensive tent when they know I have "better" in reserve.
<snip>
Often pitched and decamped in darkness, my tent found its share of berry vines and acacia thorns. It fared well, but I'm not sure a more delicate silnylon would have endured such treatment so nicely. With respect for the materials, my benefactor agreed the Coleman was the better choice for _this_ extended trip and conditions.
<snip>
The very definition of value is getting more than you paid for. The trick is to find great value that includes the very features important to you and appropriate to use. Best to jags and all of us on finding that perfect combination of livability and value.

Dan.

Yes, the tribulations of daily use will certainly take their toll on a tent. The Exped was somewhat less expensive than a Hilleberg (I paid about $A550, from memory), but it's made well, with quality materials and a thoughtful design. It's a 2.4kg max (weighed) 2-person tent. But the 15D fly and sides (40D floor) do give me pause. While my predominantly Australian use will most likely not include repeated wet pack-ups, it is certainly an abrasive environment, full of thorns, bindi-eyes and sharp rocks. Time will tell how well the fabric holds up.

And Dan, try as I might, any more it is a very rare occasion when I am breaking camp in the dark. Too easy to lose things, and it really doesn't suit my natural biorhythm - late to bed, late to rise  :D. There's nothing better in camp than to sit by the fire with that nice bladder of wine you've hauled along, telling stories and gazing at the stars. Dawn is my alarm clock, sun-up for breakfast, then break camp.

Horses for courses!  ;)

in4

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 08:54:26 pm »
Here's a Robert Saunders that might fit the bill, for £80 too!

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=90754

AndyE

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 07:51:52 am »
lads what you think of this tent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhIN5JcuBMw

anto

Anto, you can do better than this tent! IMO to much ventilation & not suitable for northern Europe. Look out on Ebay there are bargains out there
Andy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:08:07 am by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

jags

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »
Andy my own tent looks very like that so yeah i would be happy with that for sure as long as it was light cant see any tech details on it.
ahh man i'm not with ebay  so cant bid.

anto.

thanks lads.

il padrone

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 04:11:39 pm »
Instant pitch tents..... stay away from them IMHO. They are just glorified beach shelters with all the wind integrity of a limp celery stalk. Negligible ability to guy them effectively too, and they will in all likelihood never fold up as compact as an alloy hoop framed tent.

I love my Venus II. Save those pennies jags.

jags

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 04:31:48 pm »
yip looks like a great tent but how heavy is it if its anymore than 2 kg then its  way to heavy for me.

anto.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »

I love my Venus II. Save those pennies jags.

Hey Pete,

That's a reassuring endorsement  :).  Is that the Venus UL, or the standard? Having pitched my tent in the backyard only, I'm a bit concerned at the lightweight fabric, notwithstanding the foregone 0.8kg. I'm usually pretty easy on my gear, but I'd like this investment to last more than one tour!  :o

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 05:00:23 pm »
Not answering for Pete, Sammy, but peripheral to your question...

To make a tent really last:

• Check and groom the site before pitching, clearing it of berry vines, thorns, and sharp twigs. Sometimes a piece of closed-cell foam beneath can help. always use a footprint to shield the tent floor.

• Don't wear shoes inside. Remove twigs, debris, dirt, and sand that can debride the coating or puncture the floor from inside. I've found turning the tent inside out and shaking the debris out the open door works better than sweeping. Sand and dirt are the enemies of zippers, causing accelerated wear.

• Don't pack a tent away wet...it encourages the formation of mildew and can cause coatings and seam-seal tapes to peel. Carry a sponge or small towel to wipe-down the fabric if it can't fully air-dry before packing.

• When packing the tent, use care to make sure the pole ends and pegs can't puncture the inner or fly. Check for abrasion if the tent is placed on a rear rack. A small piece of closed-cell foam or the footprint placed between the tent stuff sack and the rack can help prevent such damage in transit.

• Don't leave the tent pitched for extended periods in sunshine...the UV can break down fabrics and weaken them.

• If there is a choice between nylon or polyester for flies, choose the latter. It sags less when wet and better resists UV breakdown.

• Keep an eye on line tension and adjust according to conditions. A tent flapping in high wind is detrimental, but so is an over-taut pitch which can unnecessarily strain corners, pole pockets, and tie-outs. Use pegs appropriate to conditions to aid in tensioning the tent properly.

• Repair damage promptly to contain it and prevent leaks. I go over my tents before and after a season's use, resealing and repairing as needed and paying particular attention to stress points.

• Once home, store the tent loosely so air can circulate. Not a bad idea to flip and rotate the lot once or twice a year.

Doing these things will extend the life of any tent, but particularly an ultralight one, where the fabrics are sometimes not as robust.

Best,

Dan.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 05:35:32 pm »
Sage advice as usual, Dan. I pretty well follow all of those tips. Thanks for putting them all together in one place!  :)

I have learned about vibration abrasion the hard way - on motorbikes. I once inadvertently destroyed a Eureka tent with sloppy tie-ons on the back of my BMW Paris Dakar. Whilst I was blasting along through the countryside in ignorant bliss, the flapping around first wore through the stuff sack, and then unfurled part of the fly, which proceeded to shred. Eventually the whole thing tumbled into the scrub, leaving me homeless and out of pocket  :-[.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:13:26 pm by Slammin Sammy »

il padrone

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:01 am »
Is that the Venus UL, or the standard? Having pitched my tent in the backyard only, I'm a bit concerned at the lightweight fabric, notwithstanding the foregone 0.8kg. I'm usually pretty easy on my gear, but I'd like this investment to last more than one tour!  :o
Hi

Mine is the standard Venus II. According to the specs on the site it is listed as 2.7kgs min weight, and the UL is 2.05kgs min. The difference is in the weights of the fabrics used (for fly and floor) and more mesh in the inner tent. I prefer full fabric inners (much better in cool, windy conditions) and a very waterproof floor.

Jags, don't stress too much about the weight, but if you want a good sub-2kg tent, maybe you need to look at a single-person tent. I find my Exped Vela I to be a very fine choice.

All Dan's tips are spot on about care and good storage of tents. When being carried, my tent is inside a gear drybag, so abrasion is not an issue. Exped use polyester for their fly fabric which is more UV resistant and less liable to stretch and sag with temperature changes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:12:46 am by il padrone »