Author Topic: Bar end shifters vs STI levers  (Read 13428 times)

stuartieboy

Bar end shifters vs STI levers
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »
Some technical advice required please. I've been riding a Raven for the past 18 months for touring purposes but I'm thinking of a faster bike, like the Audax. However, I've never used STI levers and wondered if bar end shifters would be better for me. So over to you guys : what are the advantages of bar end shifters (apart from £50 cheaper) over STI shifters?
Thanks, Stuartieboy.

Slammin Sammy

Re: Bar end shifters vs STI levers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:11:45 pm »
"Touring purposes" is the key.

Bar end shifters are more robust, and simpler to maintain and repair whilst on tour. They will still work even if the lever is damaged.

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:25:36 pm »
Sam is spot on with that comment i use dura ace 9 speed barends on my audax they work great.
but give me  sti any day of the week.the dura ace or ultegra are fantastic and they work perfect.

one click and your there effordless.

jags.

stuartieboy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »
Thanks guys. Just to be clear, I'm thinking about the Audax for everyday use rather than for touring.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
I'd agree with Anto then. and spend the extra to go STI. Bar ends are a bit painful around town. I've got them on my Trek 520, but I've gotten so used to my Nomad (not having to move my hands to shift) that I really notice the inconvenience when I switch bikes.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:20:39 pm »
It is personal preference, only you can decide.  If you can borrow a bike with STI shifters, you should try them.  

I prefer bar ends, but I bought my first set of bar end shifters in the 1970s or 80s, so I really am a bit set in my ways.  I bought a used set of STI type shifters (Campy) and tried them on my foldup bike, went back to bar ends. But I have known people to buy a bike with bar ends and change the shifters (at a high cost) to STI.  

Rockymountain

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:32:44 am »
The other consideration is what group set will work with the STI levers. Shimano has recently changed the compatibility of their group sets and so, for example, Ultegra levers will not work with XT mech/chain set. I have recently upgraded the group set on my Surly LHT (the original one had seen much better days) and I had to stick with the Dura ace bar end shifters to work with the XT components as I couldn't find a suitable STI lever.

Having said that, I quite like bar end shifters and so was quite happy to remain with them.

Fraser

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:10:49 am »
Some technical advice required please. I've been riding a Raven for the past 18 months for touring purposes but I'm thinking of a faster bike, like the Audax. However, I've never used STI levers and wondered if bar end shifters would be better for me. So over to you guys : what are the advantages of bar end shifters (apart from £50 cheaper) over STI shifters?
Thanks, Stuartieboy.
Hello
I have bar end shifters on my Thorn Club Tour and my Audax bike!
I have Sti on my Condor.
I have used Sti on the Audax and have them on the bars hanging on my workshop wall.
Why you may ask? Answer, I personally love bar end shifters but realise that Sti are much easier and much faster in use.
Horses for courses I think?
John

in4

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 08:38:18 am »
I'm sure I'll be forgiven for speaking from a point of relative ignorance but would not the desire/need for a bar bag of a certain size influence the decsion whether or not to put bar end or sti shifters on a tourer - perhaps on an audax too?

leftpoole

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 09:31:55 am »
I'm sure I'll be forgiven for speaking from a point of relative ignorance but would not the desire/need for a bar bag of a certain size influence the decsion whether or not to put bar end or sti shifters on a tourer - perhaps on an audax too?

Yes! Of course some may wish to use a Barbag and the Sti cables sometimes are a nuisance.
But not always.!
John

Swislon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:58 am »
I also use both. Bar ends on my Club Tour and STi on my Audax (not Thorn).
They both work!
However for faster riding I much prefer STi. It does depend on your choice of components as mentioned before and for that I would discuss with Thorn if ordering from them.

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:58 am »
I also use both. Bar ends on my Club Tour and STi on my Audax (not Thorn).
They both work!
However for faster riding I much prefer STi. It does depend on your choice of components as mentioned before and for that I would discuss with Thorn if ordering from them.

Hello
I second that!
John

Audax hopeful

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 12:38:22 pm »
I've got Campag STI on my Audax, and Shimano STI on my tourer. Both have had barbags fitted with no problems. Careful selection and positioning was necessary with 9 speed Shimano which has external gear change cables.

I personally much prefer STI shifters - no need to take my hands off brake levers to change gear means I feel much more in control, and both systems work flawlessly. Indeed my only reservation about Rohloff (if I could afford my dream bike a Thorn Mercury!!) would be sacrificing this functionality!!

Compatibility between touring/mtb derailleurs, brake types and STI shifters to achieve desired gear ranges etc is a bit of a minefield, but Thorn seem to be experts in this area and will give excellent guidance in component selection.

If you can try out STI this would be a good idea. It's quite intuitive in use and I think you'll like it!!

I would not use any STI system for extended touring outside of Europe or North America though!! Availability of parts and expertise should things go wrong would be a major concern. There again I wouldn't use 700c wheels for similar reasons!!

jags

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 12:48:04 pm »
The other consideration is what group set will work with the STI levers. Shimano has recently changed the compatibility of their group sets and so, for example, Ultegra levers will not work with XT mech/chain set. I have recently upgraded the group set on my Surly LHT (the original one had seen much better days) and I had to stick with the Dura ace bar end shifters to work with the XT components as I couldn't find a suitable STI lever.

Having said that, I quite like bar end shifters and so was quite happy to remain with them.

Fraser
tiagra 9 speed will work fine, i used them on my sherpa perfect no problems and the groupset was shimano XT m770.i fitted on line adjuster barrells on cables  near the leaver never had to use them,theres no barrell adjuster on xt rear meck.btw i didnt know that about new ultegra pity.
anto.

Relayer

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 04:54:39 pm »

I have 105 STI shifters on my Genesis Equilibrium and the cables go along the bars under the tape, no hindrance to a bar bag whatsoever.

I used bar end shifters for years and was very happy with them.  For general road riding I prefer Ergo/STI, however I agree with Sammy ... bar ends for touring ... horses for courses again.

Jim