Author Topic: Christmas Cometh  (Read 3071 times)

Andre Jute

Christmas Cometh
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:52:19 pm »
...once again, I want to thank the netizens of this forum for their technical knowledge, passionate level headedness and good humour. It truly is a joy corresponding with you all.

With a lot of help from the forum members, some of whom don't even know that their post is helping many others who aren't posting to the thread, I have built up the best bike I ever had. There isn't anything major I want to change either immediately or in the long term.

But Christmas is coming, and every Christmas I'm reminded that it is shameful for a sometime revolutionary to have become so middle-aged (heh-heh) and comfortable that his family gives him money because he honestly can't think of anything he wants.

And of course not every forum member has arrived at the same state of nirvana: most know of at least one component that wouldd improve their bikes. Quite a few forum members' bikes, including mine, appear to be built up of the dreams of forum members who went before them.

So this year i'm starting Christmas early, lining up my ducks ready to replace the proverbial turkey. (For the Americans, the British don't eat turkey in November, they eat it at Christmas.)

What do you want for your bike for Christmas? I don't care if it is serious and worthwhile or frivolous. And, anyway, what to me might be frivolous to someone else might be a life-or-death necessity. For instand, I ride on lanes I know intimately, and am never further than five minutes from a farmhouse where I will be welcome to knock on the door, so I don't have GPS, and it would be frivolous of me to fit something so ostentatiously unnecessary, especially since I already have it on my phone. But to many members touring in strange and indeed dangerous places, GPS is clearly an essential.

What do you think the cyclist who has everything necessary and useful already could add to his bike that he will find useful?

What do you need? What do you want?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:03:46 pm by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

Re: Christmas Cometh
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:02:29 pm »
Okay. I'll lead off.

1. I use a large fine leather lady's handbag from Harrod's as a saddlebag, and after five or six years of exposure it is getting a bit worn, a predictably short life if you choose leather lightweight enough for bike use. I have plenty of leather from a set of Swedish sofas I trashed to get the seasoned wood for my geribike crank-forward prototypes a few years ago, so I would like time to make a new saddlebag of my own, so when people ask I can say, "Oh, I made it."

2. My vintage Phillips rubber block pedals got trashed in an accident. I'd like to buy another pair because modern pedals just aren't wide enough for my twee size 12 bootees. Check your shed and your loft: I'll pay for your dad's vintage NOS wide rubber block pedals.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:06:30 pm by Andre Jute »

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:41:02 pm »
Andre i have a nice set of flat pedals, if you like them there yours .i'll post a pic on my facebook page.

well want do i want for christmas.
WELL top of the list new lightweight tent.
dynamo front wheel and cyo premium headlight.
new bib shorts
loads of quality cycling socks.
emm thats it  happy enough with that lot sure i might as well dream here as in bed.

great thread Andre love this stuff.

anto.
just gonna take that photo.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »
That's truly generous of you, Anto, but these would be dangerous to my shins.

What I mean by a block pedal is the kind which has rubber blocks but is longer (in the direction at right angles to the bike) than this one that I'm currently using:

jags

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:42 pm »
No worries Andre i used them a few time myself and there comfy on the feet plenty of platform.
still if they dont suit you ;)

anto

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »
Here are some classic pedals, in case you haven't found these elsewhere:

http://harriscyclery.net/product/mks-rubber-pedals-with-reflectors-9-16-663.htm

of course this is a great excuse to spend however long on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Buchel-Rubber-Block-Bike-Pedals-9-16-Tourist-Bicycle-Three-Piece-Crank-/360387248315
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:22:06 pm by JimK »

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:46 am »
Thanks, Jim. That's the sort of thing, though I don't want to pay trans-Atlantic carriage and local customs duties and fees. I'll check Ebay here.

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:19:40 am »
Canon 7D II so I can take photographs of my bikes or if that is too much a Olympus OMD EM-1 with a few lenses (I will give you a list if you wish) so I can take decent photos when out touring and riding my bike :)

Do they count as "bike related" :)

Oh a new fat bike, maybe something in the Surly range to replace my XTC 2 as my off-road touring bike would be nice :)

Andrew

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »
Oh, a good camera and associated lenses and accessories is definitely essential cycling equipment. Your iPhone is busy anyway coordinating your other Bluetooth devices, so you can't disturb its meditations on your heart rate merely to take photos. Just got a separate Manfrotto 055 tripod to use as a portable painting easel -- one of these days I'll paint a bike -- and am just studying the various Arca compatible quick release plates advertised to find one 350mm long to use as a combined brace and slider on my biggest pochade box.

It's all a matter of perspective.

jags

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 12:47:55 pm »
i'm trying to get noel to  paint a mural on  garden wall of the great Marco  Pantani going up  a mountain my favourate cyclist of all time .

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:38 pm »
All I want for Christmas is... Peace on Earth!!! Please?? (sigh...)

(Ahem... :-[) Failing that, I want about six months to go touring all the great routes in Europe, and then finish the year in Yankeeland. (Or somewhere.)

Have Thorn, will travel. :D

Slammin!

jags

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »
i wish you luck Sam on both wishes. ;D ;D

anto