Author Topic: New - Rohloff oil change video  (Read 5270 times)

Andrew

New - Rohloff oil change video
« on: November 20, 2006, 08:35:51 am »
We have just put the finishing touches to a new Rohloff oil change video. The video will guide you completely through the Rohloff oil change process. For additional details on the Rohloff oil change please see our “Important Rohloff oil change information” pages, found in the “FAQ” section of the Thorn website, click here to visit http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/rohloffhuboil.html

Click here to view the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhmgqICNhU

Let us know what you think!

hux

Re: New - Rohloff oil change video
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 07:37:33 pm »
Excellent video,I changed my oil a few weeks ago following your written instructions which correspond exactly so allwent without a hitch,had to use loctite 243 though as 511 seems unavailable but I've now stopped looking anxiously at the plug as it hasn't dropped out,oh yes used the same plug as well.

hux

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:43:25 pm »
Excellent video,I changed my oil a few weeks ago following your written instructions which corresponded exactly so all went well. Had to use loctite 243 though as 511 seems unavailable but after a few weeks nerviously looking at the plug after rides it's still there,same plug as well

lewisnoble

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:02:11 pm »
Looks very good and clear - I;m sure it's a very sim[ple and straightforward proceedure, but easy to feel anxious about it  . . .

nnnmvg

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:39:52 am »
I agree the video is well produced and helpful.

Has anyone any views on using plumber's teflon tape to secure drain plugs?

john28july

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:44:51 am »
quote:
Originally posted by nnnmvg

I agree the video is well produced and helpful.

Has anyone any views on using plumber's teflon tape to secure drain plugs?

Hello, I would think that it would cause a problem. The plug is very small. If the thread was wound with PVA tape and even a small piece got into the hub..............well think about it.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

paulhipwood

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 02:47:12 pm »
Hi All

I used PTFE tape, I only had a bottle of threadloc and wanted to make sure that I could remove the plug again. I had read that the hub only relies on oil that sticks to the internals, so I am not too worried about any leaks. The tape was applied carefully and having the excess on the socket side so that none would get cut off and enter the hub.
I have not seen any seepage of oil - so I think it will be ok.
I changed oil at 3000 miles and only gotout about 10 cc.

regards
paul

paulhipwood

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »
Hi All

I used PTFE tape, I only had a bottle of threadloc and wanted to make sure that I could remove the plug again. I had read that the hub only relies on oil that sticks to the internals, so I am not too worried about any leaks. The tape was applied carefully and having the excess on the socket side so that none would get cut off and enter the hub.
I have not seen any seepage of oil - so I think it will be ok.
I changed oil at 3000 miles and only got out about 10 cc.

regards
paul

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 06:31:33 am »
Personally I hate PTFE tape - it always goes wrong for me!

I am sure PTFE tape would do the job - IF done very carefully.  HOWEVER it may also invalidate your guarantee.  I would go with the thread lock ever time.  If I didn't have any then I would go without until I got some.  An oil leak wont cause any damage but PTFE tape in the workings might.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 08:13:00 am »
Andrew, excellent idea should remove some of the trepidation of the first oil change.

One Thought.  Any chance you could put the mpeg / Avi as a download from the sjscycles site rather than streaming it from youtube.  This would allow people with low bit rates to see the video without having to wait for the stream to catch up every other second.

Andrew

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 08:29:28 am »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

Andrew, excellent idea should remove some of the trepidation of the first oil change.

One Thought.  Any chance you could put the mpeg / Avi as a download from the sjscycles site rather than streaming it from youtube.  This would allow people with low bit rates to see the video without having to wait for the stream to catch up every other second.

Hi stutho,

Thanks for your feedback.
We are looking into a non-streaming download now. I will post to update progress on this.

Andrew

geocycle

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 08:30:50 am »
Very useful video.  This technology looks to be the way forward for explaining relatively complicated procedures.  Headset and bottom bracket adjustment videos might be helpful and then of course wheel building.....!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:31:48 am by geocycle »

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:39 am »
quote:
Originally posted by geocycle

Very useful video.  This technology looks to be the way forward for explaining relatively complicated procedures.  Headset and bottom bracket adjustment videos might be helpful and then of course wheel building.....!

More videos in the pipeline... watch this space!

PH

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 01:26:18 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

More videos in the pipeline... watch this space!

If there’s anything crying out for a visual demonstration it’s changing the internal gear cable.  It’s something we all have to do and a lot more daunting than an oil change or chain adjustment.  Not hard once done the first time, but I was nervous about opening it up.
As usual Thorns commitment to existing customers is great to see, it deserves to get you new ones.