Author Topic: Alternative to Schalbe marathons??  (Read 3832 times)

Joe C

Alternative to Schalbe marathons??
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:05 pm »
On my first weeks tour last year I used a pair of 700x35  Schalbe Marathons  (not plus's) and after putting on a pair of old 700x28 Conti Top Tourings the conti's are sooooo much better rolling, so I'm looking for something easier rolling that the marathons, I'd use the Conti's but they are ancient and cracked...

I dont want to go for Pasala's as they seem to be a bit fragile, so the current short list is

Panracer Ribmo's

Schwalbe Marathon supremes

Vittoria Randonneur Pro's

is there anything else I should be looking at?

I wan somthing 700x 28-32, and low rolling resistance but not slick, and definatly not too knobbley!

lewis noble

Re: Alternative to Schalbe marathons??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:38:06 pm »
I have used Marathon Supremes, on 26" wheels, and been very impressed with them. Very easy rolling, and good grip on wet and dry road surfaces, I have not had much experience on trails with them.  My son is using them on his urban commuting bike, again 26 wheels, no punctures or problems at all.

I reckon I'll be settling on Supremes most of the time and Duremes for trips with more trail /track riding.

Expensive but worth it in my view.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »
supreams are excellent.side walls are a bit suspect but only if your going over rough stuff on tarmac you will fly. 8)

jags.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:54:34 am »
If you are looking for 28 to 32mm wide tires, are you touring with a very light load?  I use 37mm wide tires as my narrowest tires for touring with a full load of camping gear, I would not consider anything narrower.  But right now I have a set of 28mm tires on my 700c bike because I am using it unladen around town.

On one of my 26 inch wheel bikes I was very happy with 40mm wide plain Marathons and the way they rolled.

Joe C

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:39:50 am »
Thanks Guys thats good information,

I was liking the look of the the supremes but was concenrend they might be too similar in construction to the marathons.

Yes, I'll be traveling pretty light, just the essentials (waterproofs, tools, tubes, T shirt, shorts... most of the weight will probably be emergancy rations....)  , and no camping stuff. we shouldnt be doing much in the way of trails so they should be fine, but I think I will look at the 32's rather than 28's.

onrbikes

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:55:19 am »
I've used both extensively and if you want bullet proof long lasting, puncture proof then the Marathon plus is the one.

When we used the the Supreme they were much faster but in 5000km had 3 flats, buy another spare tyre as one of the sidewalls was starting to fail. When I wrote Schwalbe they weren't interested.
The Supreme are much less grippy and we came off numerous times especially on bituman roads, in China.

Give me Marathon pluses for durability anytime. The price is good too. I pump them up to max all the time too.

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:04:32 am »
cant argue with that i suppose but i found the supreams excellent great on wet tarmac.i hated the marathon plus totally use tyre imho.i still think punctures on quality tyres no matter the make or model is down to bad luck.a fella could go for years puncture free and then for no reason  he will pincture on every spin.
strange auld world ::)

Erudin

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIRNDHYP/vittoria-randonneur-hyper-folding-tyre

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRANPII/vittoria-randonneur-pro-ii-folding-tyre

Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Folding Tyres are getting good reviews on the CTC forum. I've recently bought some Vittoria Randonneur Pro II Folding Tyres for my 26" LHT (link above is the 700x32 version). They roll so much easier than the Big Apple tyres I had on it before.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:34:19 pm by Erudin »