Author Topic: nomad with roholf  (Read 26782 times)

Bill

Re: nomad with roholf
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2007, 04:45:52 am »
I don't know which half it is, the box sits unopened as the other half hasn't arrived three days later.

Bill

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2007, 03:48:09 am »
Finally I have a whole bike..once I get it together..

stever1

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 09:34:34 pm »
re nomad
going cycle camping friday
fort william to inverness "the great glen way"
carrying all the gear so should be interesting how the bikes handle
panniers tents ect [:D]

AndrewClark

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2007, 02:00:54 pm »
SJS phoned earlier, my Nomad will be delivered on Friday :-)

Steve, you've had yours a while now, what's it been like ? Have you had it in bits yet ?

AndrewClark

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2007, 11:55:54 am »
It's here!  Out of the box and in my living room!

All seems nicely put together, only issue is the rear wheel is rubbing slightly on the brake block...

Going to put it on the workstand, check the wheel out and then I think I'll go for a bike ride.

Shame it's such a dull, windy day!

AndrewClark

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2007, 09:54:55 pm »
Put it on the workstand, had a good look at it and it's been assembled very well. Powder coat looks tough enough but appears very slightly uneven in places, not had a powder coat before so this may be normal.

I tinkered with the rear brake and that seemed to cure the rubbing. Own Saddle (Brooks Conquest) was fitted and then it was down to street level (I'm on the 4th floor) to try it out :-)  

A quick spin around the car park first. The bike feels almost exactly spot on. They've obviously got the job of building a bike from a set of measurements down to a fine art.

Brake, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!   A lot sharper than the Maguras I'm used to. This may be setup. The brake blocks are _very_ close to the rim. Closer than I normally run them.

Onto the street and down a hill, brake,  SQUEEEAL!, stop.  I specced the standard rims but the brake blocks are the blue ones meant for the Carbide rims so it looks like I've got a free upgrade :-)

Gear change feels strange, I'm used to downtube shifters with very crisp "clicks", this is different. Works OK , must stop reaching down to change gear though!

Out of town and head towards Cronton, flatlands with a strong wind, a 40km loop.  Bike feels fine, might lift the saddle a few mm. Ergon grips comfy but I start to get some tingling in my left hand. Will try to adjust that grip later.

Hard to tell about the famous Rohloff "noise", it's too windy. In most gears though it seems quieter than derailleurs. 7th gear feels, rather than sounds if you know what I mean...

Get back home, carry the bike upstairs and notice that the back wheel is rubbing again on one spot :-( looks like I'll have to get the spoke key out and adjust it

Now it's time to eat curry & drink beer!

AndrewClark

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2007, 11:03:39 am »
Bugger [:(]

When the bike arrived yesterday I thought the rear tyre (Tourguard) was a bit soft so pumped it up to 60psi (Topeak Morph very good!)

I've just gone to look at the bike and it's now flat as a pancake.

Oh well, I'm about to find how easy it is to undo Pitlock Security Skewers and remove a Rohloffed wheel!

AndrewClark

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2007, 07:26:28 pm »
Undid the clickbox,  undid the Pitlock and the wheel dropped straight down onto a concrete floor...[:I]

A very tiny hole, slowly leaking air. Can't find a corresponding hole in the tyre or anything inside it.

Rims have no name on them, rim tape is yellow plastic "Hermann", tube was Schwalbe...made in Indonesia..

The Pitlock didn't appear to have any grease on it, bearing in mind another forumers problems I slathered both in FinishLine.

Topeak Morph got to 60psi from flat in 88 strokes. I checked the pressure reading on the pump with my digital pressure gauge which gave me 54psi. Not too bad.

Wheel back on and I adjust the left side brake a little more.

I try to fit my Tubus rack but the holes are M5 and the Nomads bosses M6, I'll have to get the drill out!

Go for a short ride, adjust the grips some more. I get back home and the rear wheel is rubbing again...[:(]

stever1

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2007, 06:30:17 pm »
im really pleased with the nomad
not been on the forum for a while
nomad survived india
http://picasaweb.google.com/steve.rooney
out today for a short spin brrr cycling in scotland not warm time to
dig out the winter gear [:D]