Author Topic: nomad with roholf  (Read 26657 times)

stever1

nomad with roholf
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:50:37 am »
hi all
im interested in a nomad with
the speedhub
as i plan to use the bike for some "rough stuff" touring but not quite
mountain biking....would i be able to fit a suspension fork for say a
tour in india then swop it for a more on road type tour

the nomad looks like a good choice as i dont have unlimited funds for a sexier exxp [:I]
also need 2 as i cant saw the thorn tandem in half as magura hydraulic brakes would leak [:)]

lewisnoble

Re: nomad with roholf
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 04:56:02 pm »
I think the general view is that rohloff hubs are much better in a Rohloff specific frame.  Why not get a Raven Tour?  I think the frame of that bike was derived from the Nomad anyway.  They seem pretty bullet proof, and I am delighted with mine, bought in July this year.  I often wonder whether a Sport Tour, or the Catalyst, might have been better, but I think the Tour is pretty much the best all rounder.  It carries heavy loads without noticing, will take a front rack as well as a rear, goes much faster than it looks as though it will . . . Mine was specced pretty high, with ceramic rims and XTR brakes (worth it I think) and carbon seat post and bars (probably not worth it) but they can be made to look really good . . .

Lewis

lewisnoble

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:01:04 pm »
I think the general view is that rohloff hubs are much better in a Rohloff specific frame.  Why not get a Raven Tour?  I think the frame of that bike was derived from the Nomad anyway.  They seem pretty bullet proof, and I am delighted with mine, bought in July this year.  I often wonder whether a Sport Tour, or the Catalyst, might have been better, but I think the Tour is pretty much the best all rounder.  It carries heavy loads without noticing, will take a front rack as well as a rear, goes much faster than it looks as though it will . . . Mine was specced pretty high, with ceramic rims and XTR brakes (worth it I think) and carbon seat post and bars (probably not worth it) but they can be made to look really good . . .

Lewis

stever1

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 05:27:03 pm »
i did think of the catlyst but 80% of my tours are on roads http://picasaweb.google.com/steve.rooney
anyhoo thanks for reply....raven tour mmm nice bike
i will research more and update @-)

PH

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 06:23:33 pm »
Having tried a Nomad and bought a Raven I'd agree with Lewis that they are pretty similar.
As you mention India, have a look here  This couple run tours there and use Thorn bikes for themselves, as good an indication of their suitability as any.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:28:11 pm by PH »

Swislon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 07:20:35 pm »
Guys have you seen this !
http://sjscycles.wordpress.com/
A new Raven Nomad ![:0]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:23:06 pm by Swislon »

goosander

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:29:59 pm »
Interesting, I wonder where it fits in to the range.  Between the Tour & EXP?

Looks like it has a disc mount, wonder if the forks will too.

goosander

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:32:21 pm »
Interesting, I wonder where it fits in to the range.  Between the Tour & EXP?

Looks like it has a disc mount, wonder if the forks will too.

stever1

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 08:04:42 am »
my main purpose for my bike is day rides and touring mostly road but some off the beaten track touring...
ive been looking at the "out there biking site".. fingers crossed and hopefully money raised will see me and tandem partner heading to india on our solo's...  it  will be either the raven tour or the nomad...probably venturing down to sjs for a look jan or feb

ive always liked the look of the nomad but if i choose one it will be with straight bars and hopefully mechanical disc brakes any opinions on this upgrade please ???
also im perplexed re geometry of the bike will it take front suspension forks ??

re thorn bikes our tandem has been all over the place with no probs apart from early tours which we had probs with punctured tyres
changed to marathon xr's and yak prob problem solved
stevr

stever1

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 08:42:57 am »
"Thorn risers"
could i put these on a nomad ??

the reason for the straight bars is the issue ive read about re the changer for the speed hub ????
[:)]

AndrewClark

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 09:25:10 am »
A few weeks ago there was a Thorn "prototype" on Ebay (I didn't win it :-( ), I spoke to Andy Blance with a  few questions re sizing etc and he mentioned they were bringing out a new Nomad. If I remember correctly it's intended for use with a suspension fork like the Exxp and they will all have S&S coupings as standard(which will knock the price up!)

I'm also thinking of a trip with "Out There Biking" and am also thinking about buying a Raven for the tour!  But which one!

stever1

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 09:48:41 am »
this nomad sounds like an ideal compromise for me
if i won the lottery an expp would do for my round the world trip
however real life dictates the nomad will have to do [8D]

spose i will fly down to sjs stay the nite and fly back
ahh budget airlines you cant beat em [:D]

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 07:39:38 am »
Didn't someone speculate this would happen when they dropped the Nomad derailer. So now Thorn have a new Rohloff equipped touring bike lets see that’s the:
  • Mercury - fast touring / Audex

• Raven Sport Tour - Light touring /Audex

• Raven Tour - Touring

• Raven Catalyst - off road touring

• Raven Nomad - Expedition touring

• Rohloff eXp - Hand built Expedition touring (all rounder)

• eXp R - Hand built Expedition touring (road)

• eXXp -Hand built Expedition touring (off road)

Its a good thing they plugged that gap!  
Seriously though it is good to see the return of a highly respected Nomad.

PS I too was very tempted by the prototype frame on ebay - maybe next time.

AndrewClark

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 07:08:15 pm »
Some more details of the new Nomad here - £799.00 frame & forks - £300 more than the Raven Frame

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=12755&src=froogle

Includes seatpost and shim, & high quality headset. Only recommended suspension fork is the 80mm travel Fox Air fork, others have the wrong L1 dimension. Routing for EX version of the Rohloff hub, stainless guides & bosses, 6mm carrier bosses F+R, stainless seat clamp. NO disc facility because of the S+S. Seat tube is 31.8mm, 19mm seat stays (like eXXp)

External clickbox, stronger rack bosses. Sounds nice, I could live without the S&S couplings though. Spend the money saved on better rims etc.

n/a

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 05:15:13 am »
Didn't someone speculate this would happen when they dropped the Nomad derailer. So now Thorn have a new Rohloff equipped touring bike lets see that’s the:
Mercury - fast touring / Audex

Raven Sport Tour - Light touring /Audex

Raven Tour - Touring

Raven Catalyst - off road touring

Raven Nomad - Expedition touring

Rohloff eXp - Hand built Expedition touring (all rounder)

eXp R - Hand built Expedition touring (road)

eXXp -Hand built Expedition touring (off road)

Its a good thing they plugged that gap!
Seriously though it is good to see the return of a highly respected Nomad.

I've been trying to make a choice between the Raven Tour and the EXP.  This may solve the problem.
John28July, I'd be interested to hear your comparison of the bikes' performance when loaded up.  Would you consider the Raven Tour a superior bike for heavy touring?
Thanks.