Author Topic: When to reverse and change chainring, sprocket and chain?  (Read 9470 times)

jags

Re: When to reverse and change chainring, sprocket and chain?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
You know that aul saying If it Ain't broke dont fix it.
chain and sproket are not rocket science  chain drops into sproket turns the wheel ,simple.
unless there bit's missing from either sproket or chain ring leave well enough alone.

oh yeah get rid of the feckin rohloff  there more hassle than a bull in a china shop ::)

jags.

il padrone

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
oh yeah get rid of the feckin rohloff  there more hassle than a bull in a china shop ::)

Far from it jags. A great drivetrain that I am increasingly very happy with. Hardly ride the other bikes these days.

My son rode in his first race with a local club today, a time-trial. He came second. That was with the Rohloff  :o He also rode with the 2" tyres, mudguards, lights, and racks. A full-tilt heavy tourer and he came second.

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 11:56:32 am »
if he was on a proper road bike he would have won  ;D ;D

il padrone

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
Yes, that's what I told him too.

But we are talking touring here and for that a Rohloff is paramount - a grand bit of kit that just keeps on running with miniml maintenance.

jags

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 04:00:02 pm »
Only winding you guys up ;D
but saying that i still think the derailleur system is a far better job.
many a world tourer used the 9 speed mechs trouble free,and no need to change sprockets or chain and it doesn't need an oil change either,
I'm telling you boys are being conned into thinking the rohloff is the way to go.

jags.

mickeg

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 05:07:07 pm »
Only winding you guys up ;D
but saying that i still think the derailleur system is a far better job.
many a world tourer used the 9 speed mechs trouble free,and no need to change sprockets or chain and it doesn't need an oil change either,
I'm telling you boys are being conned into thinking the rohloff is the way to go.

jags.

I regularly ride four bikes, a bike with a:
 - Rohloff,
 - Derailleur eight speed cassette with road triple,
 - Derailleur eight speed cassette and a Sram Dual Drive IGH.
 - Derailleur seven speed cassette with mountain triple.

I can say with experience that each is different, but I think none is the best in all situations.

The Rohloff, I was looking for a heavy duty expedition bike with S&S couplers, decided to buy one with a Rohloff on a whim.  I already owned a Sherpa so I was very familiar with Thorns, thus I bought the Nomad MkII.  Have not used it yet the way the bike is intended, but regularly ride it anyway.  Have put a bit under a thousand miles on it this year, some of that on 4X4 roads where it performed just fine.

The bike with the Dual Drive IGH, I really wanted a wider range of gearing than offered by the eight speed cassette, since I can't fit a triple or double crank to it the IGH was the only option.  The bike is a foldup, thus the complicated drive train.

The other bikes are pretty mainstream so no need to describe.

triaesthete

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:32 pm »

Anto yer becoming our very own Father Jack  :-*  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkN57xvekI

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »
Yes, that's what I told him too.

There go your chances of him explaining to you how the TV remote works!

jags

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 08:13:58 pm »

Anto yer becoming our very own Father Jack  :-*  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkN57xvekI

;D ;D ;D ;D
cant argue with that
thanks Ian for feck sake

anto.