Author Topic: Chain life with rohloff (and a bit of chainglider stuff too)  (Read 13994 times)

martinf

Re: Chain life with rohloff (and a bit of chainglider stuff too)
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 05:58:59 am »
The Rohloff-specific Chainglider I bought from SJS for my Thorn with Rohloff is designed for a 38T chainring and 15 to 17T rear sprocket. It probably won't work properly with an 18T rear, but I haven't tried.

From the Chainglider design (sitting freely over the top run of the chain) I reckon the largest (17T) sprocket option would keep it furthest from the hub shell, but not noticed any interference with the 16T I have.

I chose 38 x 16 because it was the lowest recommended Rohloff combination at the time I bought my Thorn. Rohloff lowered the permitted gearing shortly afterwards, so I will probably change to 38 x 17 at some stage, as I don't really need the current 89" top gear.

But no hurry as I expect the 16T to last quite a long time.

martinf

Re: Chain life with rohloff
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:09 am »
As I've said before, I don't yet consider the Chainglider as proven for use on a long tour, in particular how it will cope with dry, dusty conditions.

But unlike some other modifications, it would be easy to remove the Chainglider, chuck it away and revert to a bare transmission if it proves troublesome, so I can't see a valid reason for me not to try it.

Andre Jute

Re: Chain life with rohloff
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:47 am »

Also, I note you say you fitted it to a 38/17 combo but the SJS page for the CG says 39/18-22.

Is there a guide from Hebie saying that 17 goes with 38?

I am thinking of going for the 38/18 combo.
But when I look on the SJS site, the rear rings are only 13 15 16 & 17 teeth!
What am I missing?

So as not to hijack someone else's thread, I've answered your question at
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6813.msg67901#msg67901
complete with piccies and parts numbers and links and video.

Donerol

Re: Chain life with rohloff (and a bit of chainglider stuff too)
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:42 am »
Does anyone have any comments on how it copes with winter salt? I try not to ride in snow but there can are longs periods when the wet roads have a significant amount of salt (and grit) that get sprayed over the bikes. (I live in the west of Scotland). At the moment I just rinse it the bikes gently with a watering can.

I'm attracted by the idea of fitting a Chainglider to my Raven, but worry that although it would keep most of the much out, salt would still get in but be difficult to wash out, not a Good Thing in my book.