Author Topic: Trekking bars compatible with Rohloff shifter?  (Read 10461 times)

Al Downie

Trekking bars compatible with Rohloff shifter?
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:13 am »
Hi all,

After suffering elbow and wrist pain during my last tour, I'd like to change my bars to something that will permit a more upright position. I don't want to change my fork, and I've already used the most elevated stem I can find (Thorn!), and am using 'riser' bars. So I'm thinking the only remaining adjustment I can make is to fit trekking bars, but I don't think my Rohloff shifter will pass some of the tight-radius corners to get to the same position that I'm used to. And.. I'd prefer not to have the shifter on an accessory bar. Fussy, huh?

I'd be grateful for advice from any Rohloff/trekking bar users - recommendations of bar models, or suggestions for installation that makes for easy use.

Thanks in advance,

Al

onmybike

Re: Trekking bars compatible with Rohloff shifter?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:48:29 am »
Works for me...

Modolo Yuma bars. I also settled on these in an effort to find a more upright riding position. Also tried Thorn Comfort Bars and Ergo grips (hellishly uncomfortable for me) and straight bars. The inboard bar ends are useful into headwinds.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:56:17 am by onmybike »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:02:50 pm »
I notice you're not talking about back pain, so this really is about the angle of your wrists, which means the position, height and inclination of the grips.

Have you thought of North Road Bars, which give you at once elevation, setback of the handlebar grips (often a desirable solution in itself), and a true ergonomic angle of grip. It is true that you lose the multiple handle holds of drop bars or trekking bars, but how important that is depends on how successful the overall solution is: I've never missed multiple handholds since I went to North Road Bars, and now view multiple handholds as a kiudge for incompetently designed or implemented handlebars. The main thing about the right North Road bars, set up right, is that your hands fall naturally on them, zero contortions, zero opportunity to stress the joints. I'm a writer, a sort of handworker -- I operate a keyboard all day long -- and very sensitive to any stress in my hands and wrists, but it's been years since I noticed the handlebars on my bike except when someone else mentions handlebars, because I haven't felt any pain, nor discomfort even, since I switched from more overtly sporting bars to North Road bars.

pelago

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:15 pm »
I seem also have those, mustache bars - in the gallery is a picture of my bike "Pelago Stavanger". The name North Road was / is unknown for me.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »
The name North Road was / is unknown for me.

North Road bars rise from the stem clamp and then curve back to put the grips at an ergonomic angle both to the longitudinal axis of the bike and to the horizontal.

energyman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:25 pm »
Works for me...

Modolo Yuma bars. I also settled on these in an effort to find a more upright riding position. Also tried Thorn Comfort Bars and Ergo grips (hellishly uncomfortable for me) and straight bars. The inboard bar ends are useful into headwinds.

Nice arrangement

Donerol

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »
Didn't Humpert or someone make a trekking bar in three parts  that could be used with a Rohloff shifter? I'm sure I've seen a photo on this forum...

Bill

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:38:40 am »
I have a similar arrangement to onmybike with trekking bars from nashbar and Rohloff shifter on the end of the bar. I dont think you could get the shifter around the bends in the bars for another position. No problems with my arrangement and I find it more comfortable than comfort bars.

energyman

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:52 am »
Didn't Humpert or someone make a trekking bar in three parts  that could be used with a Rohloff shifter? I'm sure I've seen a photo on this forum...

Yep, I've got 'em on my RST.  Very easy to fit the Rohloff etc.  Rather expensive though at SJS (and everywhere else) but you can't fit the end of bar tassels very easily :)

Bill

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »
Yep, I've got 'em on my RST.  Very easy to fit the Rohloff etc.  Rather expensive though at SJS (and everywhere else) but you can't fit the end of bar tassels very easily :)

Berthoud makes a Rohloff shifter for drop bars that is composed of three pieces that might work. It is expensive.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:47 pm »
Berthoud makes a Rohloff shifter for drop bars that is composed of three pieces that might work. It is expensive.

There was one for sale by a forum member recently. One wonders why he decided not to keep it...

bikerta

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:31:41 pm »

Something like this? 

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs-premium-handlebars-c-w-comfort-bar-ends-254mm-clamp-prod24407/

Al Downie

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 01:37:43 am »
AHH!! That Humpert bar looks like just the job. Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Cheers,

Al

sweats

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:51:47 am »
I have a pair of these:-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs-basic-sport-handlebars-c-w-comfort-bar-ends-254mm-clamp-prod24411/
Well made bars that spilt into 3 to allow fitting of a Rohloff shifter. Come in two different widths as well. They also do a comfort version and different bar ends. Recommended.
Chris

Donerol

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »
There was one for sale by a forum member recently. One wonders why he decided not to keep it...

Shifter works well with some self evident issues around cable sealing, but it's not a problem for UK road use. Mine is marked because I had to wrap cloth bar tape around it to get a grip in the wet.