Author Topic: Audax mk3 Alfine 8 conversion  (Read 2495 times)

rualexander

Audax mk3 Alfine 8 conversion
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:41:15 pm »
Finally got my mk3 converted to Alfine 8 speed hub gear.
Just been out for the first quick spin round the houses and all seems well.
Alfine shifter is second hand Versa sti style integrated brake lever/shifter bought on ebay for £50.
I have retained the front derailleur to allow the use of two chainrings, with my old bar end shifter moved to the  downtube because I was using it so rarely that the cable kept seizing up, so now as a downtube shifter it has no outer cable to clog up.
Rear wheel  with Alfine hub was bought second hand on ctc forum for £118, rim is Rigida DP18, it's quite a deep section rim and wouldn't be my first choice from an aesthetic viewpoint but will do the job.
18 tooth sprocket fitted at the moment but may change this to a 20 tooth in due course.
The brake disc has still to be removed, I don't have the right tool at the moment to take it off.
I'll get a more thorough test ride on sunday.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:43:28 pm by rualexander »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Audax mk3 Alfine 8 conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:26 am »
Mighty fine looking machine, Rual. Looks as nicely assembled as your Sherp'off conversion. Will be a really clean setup with the disc removed.

How does it feel in practice? How is the double 'ring/front mech setup in use? Think you'll keep it or go with a single?

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:57 am »
I like the aesthetic of the matching brown saddle and handlebar wrap. Very tasty.

Rockymountain

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:53 am »
Very smart - you've done a very nice job there  ;D

martinf

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »
Interesting conversion. It prompted me to compare my Nexus 8 Premium setup (same hub ratios as Alfine) with the 3 x7 derailleur setup I used for my 2011 Spain trip.

The current Nexus setup on my "utility" Thorn Raven Tour is 23" to 71". I'm a "spinner" rather than a "masher", so I don't often feel the urge for anything higher than 71", and the 23" is low enough for all my local hills, even when pulling my loaded trailer.

My 3x7 derailleur setup was 24/39/44 with 13/34, the lowest I could get with the components I could find locally at the time. This gave a range from 18" to 87", so compared to the Nexus, 1 lower gear and 3 higher gears. I used the 18" a lot in the mountains, but didn't really need the highest two gears.

Your Alfine/Audax looks like it has most of the advantages of a Rohloff-equipped Mercury at a fraction of the price (and less grief if stolen).

Unfortunately, I can't do the same conversion on my last remaining derailleur bike, a lightweight steel-frame tourer. The frame dates from 1977 so it has 120 mm dropouts. I did try a Sturmey-Archer 5-speed in it a few years ago, but it didn't quite have enough range for the type of rides I do with that bike (long day rides with minimal luggage).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:31:59 pm by martinf »