Author Topic: front derailleur  (Read 3157 times)

majorbloodnok

front derailleur
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »
Hi folks
Couldn't find answer on search so had to post my schoolboy question. ...

I'm doing a component swap to an audax mk 3 frame (just bought a s/h frame)and wondered what band size I need on the front deraillear?  My 32 that came off the doner bike is too loose on the thorn. ...

I have a campag mirage front.

First post - nice forum.  I hope to be riding my new steed soon and will try not to ask such drivel in the meantime

mbn

rualexander

Re: front derailleur
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:38 pm »
Mk3 takes a front derailleur clamp diameter of 28.6mm.

majorbloodnok

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »
Ah, I see that campag don't make that size and I'd need a shim -apparently Shimano provide with their derailleurs - or I'll have to buy a braze on and an adapter

Bit of a pain

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:08 pm »
That Audax is a nice bike! Hope you can post some good stories once you get it on the road!

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:52:21 pm »
Welcome, MBN. There are no stupid questions, just stupid ways of wrecking components, generally arising from not asking the question! This is a nice forum: no one will sneer at you for asking a question.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:26:29 am »
Not sure if this would be the right size for you.  I needed a shim for front derailleur on a different bike.  In my case, the shim was needed because I used a derailleur that came off an Aluminum frame bike with larger diameter tubing.

I found that the shim I needed was exactly the same thickness as a shim that came with a stem for a 1 1/8 inch steerer tube, the shim was to convert that stem to a 1 inch steerer.  With a hack saw I made it the right size and put in the second slit so that it was in two pieces.

majorbloodnok

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:20:20 am »
Thanks guys.   I have a spacer somewhere that I bought for standard bars to fit an oversized stem.....I wonder. ...