Author Topic: Swithering over Audax and Club Tour  (Read 28158 times)

horizon

Re: Swithering over Audax and Club Tour
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2014, 12:54:59 pm »
I want to defend far-oeuf on this one. Why go public? Because it's what you do when things go wrong and you are in a rush and a bit upset. And what do we get? A good discussion, some impassioned defence of Thorn, a public reply from the owner himself and lots of learning about frame sizes, potential pitfalls and how Thorn handles things like this.

I'm impressed with the whole thing. No-one has come out badly IMV and it's made me more not less likely to buy a Thorn frame - good feedback from far-oeuf and good follow-up from Thorn.

Far-oeuf is a demanding customer willing to share his experiences. Thorn have given as good as they got. We still live thank goodness in the real world. Great thread all round (including leftpoole's comments).   

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2014, 02:15:19 pm »
<snip>
*For instance, see the nasty tide of abuse at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.bicycles.tech/LqY0UpZTIP0/KW_fz6H3sbQJ
when I explained why I consider a Waterford ludicrously overpriced. That's much more typical of cycle groups when someone tweaks the nose of the collective consciousness; this Thorn forum is a shining example of how most other fora can better themselves.

I have been biting my figurative tongue throughout the latter part of this thread, and had actually composed a post which the computer gods decided I shouldn't send and crashed out my iPad just before I hit "Post". As the situation appears to be resolving, I will keep my opinions to myself.

Quite unlike your adversaries on the RBT forum, Andre! I found that repartee most entertaining, particularly the Neanderthal that decided foul-mouthed belligerence trumped reasoned debate any day.  ;D

Although I'm an American, my having lived for thirty years in Oz, Land of the Irreverent has given me an arm's length view of some of my countrymen's occasionally brittle temperament. I myself learned the hard way that it's really easy to wind up a Yank sometimes, as is currently tragically happening in certain parts of the world.  >:(

But Andre, from where I sit you played them with aplomb!  ;) :D

Finally, and once again, I want to thank the netizens of this forum for their technical knowledge, passionate level headedness and good humour. It truly is a joy corresponding with you all.

Sam

jags

« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2014, 02:39:31 pm »
sure its all good fun sam no need for anyone to loose the rag ;D ;D

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2014, 08:42:19 pm »
just to conclude the thread (hopefully!)...   Today I moved all the components over to a new frame, and have had a quick test ride down to the shops to check all is bolted back on ok.    Decided to shift over my old friction shifters, and they work very well (silence is golden..)   A couple of things still to sort out, but nothing that's holding me back.

hopefully I'll ride up through the Cairngorms on Tuesday, and back down Wednesday, as a final check my luggage all fits and works.   Then off to Europe.

thanks again for the forum help.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:45:04 pm by Far-Oeuf »

jags

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
looks great well done.
looks a lot like my audax.

jags.

Donerol

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »
Very smart - glad you have sorted it out.

What are the handlebars? They look the sort of shape that I like.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2014, 10:28:21 pm »
hey,

I was recommended Deda RHM01 bars (£15); my purpose is fast road riding.   I couldn't get hold of some at short notice, so I picked these up second hand.   They are Bontranger, but exactly the same shape as the Deda RHM01 bars.

cheers,

Donerol

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
Thanks - the Deda were already high on my list so I'll take a punt. Can hardly go wrong at that price!

jags

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2014, 11:29:14 pm »
just to conclude the thread (hopefully!)...   Today I moved all the components over to a new frame, and have had a quick test ride down to the shops to check all is bolted back on ok.    Decided to shift over my old friction shifters, and they work very well (silence is golden..)   A couple of things still to sort out, but nothing that's holding me back.

hopefully I'll ride up through the Cairngorms on Tuesday, and back down Wednesday, as a final check my luggage all fits and works.   Then off to Europe.

thanks again for the forum help.

so was that photo taking outside SJS shop.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »
nope, Ronde (posh bike shop, but the soup in the cafe is inexpensive...) in Stockbridge, Edinburgh   :)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2014, 12:38:42 am »
What a beautiful bike! May you enjoy many happy miles riding it!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2014, 01:34:19 am »
Doug!

What a lovely bicycle! So pleased to hear all is sorted for you now. I prefer the same handlebars and downtube shifters on several of my own bikes, so your setup looks very familiar and nicely balanced for very long day rides and multi-day journeys. May you ride it in good health and happy times, and the roads be smooth before you.

Best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2014, 10:37:48 am »
Hello,
So, my supposed 'negative' waves spurred you on?
I am pleased that you got the problems sorted out (as expected from Thorn of course) and that you soon will be away riding 'into the Sunset'!
The completed cycle looks good and the only thing stopping me from changing my own Club Tour frameset is that I do not like the rear disc brake arrangement (cable run etc).
So, enjoy and let us know how your trips turn out.
John

playlord

« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2014, 07:02:35 pm »
Un Oeuf is as good as a feast.

Bike looks great and it should brighten the mighty Cairngorms. Wishing you a safe and peaceful trip.

Joe

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2014, 07:54:37 pm »