Author Topic: Apidura Saddle, Frame & Bar Packs  (Read 7780 times)

Chester

Apidura Saddle, Frame & Bar Packs
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:25 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of the Apidura Saddle, Frame & Saddle packs; the packs look interesting and are a different take on conventional saddle, pannier bags and racks for lighter touring.

jags

Re: Apidura Saddle, Frame & Bar Packs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:19 pm »
no, and in all honesty i would never use bags like those, couple quality rear panniers is plenty good enough.
but thats just me some folk will love em.
 8)

jags.

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:43:09 am »
I have no experience with these particular bags but bikepacking is a growing in popularity, particularly amongst mountain bikers.  In this crowd the bags by Revelate Designs seem to be the goto bags.

For a taste of what bikepacking can be about check out this thread at MTBR and for a fun guide on how to pack for a bikpacking, check out this video.

Andrew

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:25:45 am »
ahh better off buying a car  ::)
those bage would be a right pain in the arse to not only fit but to get into.
frame bag lets hope there's no cross winds/ bar roll  give me a break useless bit of kit. feed bags  as long as you have tiny hands  to get into them,saddle bag  ah say no more.
needless to say i'm sticking with panniers,
btw the carradice camper saddle bag would probably take all that guys gear,say no more. ::)

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:31:03 am »
They probably make sense on a mountain bike used on singletrack trails.  You'd need luggage high and out of the way and might not be able to fit conventional racks.  They seem to be order of the day for 'bikepacking' see Cass Gilbert's articles in various blogs and magazines.

julk

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:07 am »
Jags,
for cycle touring I use four Super C panniers plus 2 Revelate bags.
A tangle frame bag takes the heavy things like tools and lock and puts this weight within the frame, whilst leaving room for 2 drink bottles in cages.
A sweet roll takes the Exped downmat and chair kit just under the Thorn comfort handlebars.

Everything is waterproof which is ideal for the UK condensed sunshine which sometimes falls from the sky.
The laden bike handles the best I have experienced, it works great for me and no need for loose bits to be strapped on the bike in odd places.
That’s my bike on the right, on its way to the KM Rally last year.
julk.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:00:04 pm by julk »

jags

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:29:16 pm »
Lovely photo Julk ,but no i'll stick to panniers.i reckon the more bags you have the more junk you take on tour.mind you i'm a fair weather tourer  the only heavy bulky gear i have is my tent, other than that i reckon i could tour for a few weeks in my lightish kit.

but then again what do i know  ::)

jags.

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15:18 am »
They probably make sense on a mountain bike used on singletrack trails.  You'd need luggage high and out of the way and might not be able to fit conventional racks.  They seem to be order of the day for 'bikepacking' see Cass Gilbert's articles in various blogs and magazines.

Yep that is what bikepacking is all about ...

Oh this photo is from Vik's ride of Chilcotin Mountains. Vik is one of the people whose advice I would take onboard. Very experienced in playing with mountain bikes and bikepacking.

Personally if I want to set up a sweet bikepacking rig I would be heading over to the MTBR forums where there are experienced bikepackers who know a thing or two about actually doing it.

I have gone mountain bike touring and still do here with panniers and even an Extrawheel trailer. It is okay on the non-technical trails but not really the best setup when it starts getting more technical.  A bikepacking setup is something I am considering for the future for the shorter rides anyway or those tours where food resupply is more frequent.

Andrew

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:26:51 am by Aushiker »

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:43:46 pm »
Jags,
for cycle touring I use four Super C panniers plus 2 Revelate bags.
A tangle frame bag takes the heavy things like tools and lock and puts this weight within the frame, whilst leaving room for 2 drink bottles in cages.

My lock is on the frame, ready to lock (Abus ringlock) and all the tools I need to do almost any likely work on the bike can fit inside my moderate size Ortlieb seatpack-

Everything is waterproof which is ideal for the UK condensed sunshine which sometimes falls from the sky.

As far as I was aware the Revelate bags are not waterproof. Most bikepacking gear is made to a weight-weenie lightness and waterproofing is the sacrifice. Maybe I am mistaken  :-\

The laden bike handles the best I have experienced, it works great for me and no need for loose bits to be strapped on the bike in odd places.

I solve the 'loose bits' problem with an Ortlieb 35L drybag.

jags

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 02:03:31 pm »
Andrew that mountain bike stuff is strickly for young crazy dudes these old bones would not take all that hardship, smooth tarmac sunshine is what i'm after.
but each to there own ;D

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:58 am »
Hi All,
Bikepacking is the best way to travel Fast! be it Offroad or on the Road!
Check out almost all the Race bike's in  http://www.transcontinentalrace.com/ which is in it's second year, it start over the weekend.

How Bikepacking is great for the best bike handling, this is why People race, ride offroad this way.

Cycle Touring people go with carriers and Panniers because they take loads and loads of gear.... which is all good less washing your gear (maybe once a week for me)
But for me I started Bikepacking back in 1988 cycling about the UK for 2 months with only two set's of gear! washing every night and having them dry the next day when riding  :o
I have Tom with all the panniers to go on slower trip's away.........

How I know some of you will say the How can a Bike Handled so Good? when some of the Bag's (Packs) are mounted so high? This is because the Bags are so close to the centre line of the Bike!
How about in Cross Winds? Well yes you can get a little blown about in high winds! BUT When cycle Touring in the same winds with Panniers you will get Blowen about just the same!

Yes I have cycled in very high winds (roads closed to high vehicles)

Having Fun training for an up coming 320km cycle race!

Kiwi Pete........   .....  ... ... ... .. .. . . . . . .
 8)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:38:08 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ