Author Topic: What size is a collapsed Nomad Mk2 S+S?  (Read 5100 times)

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
What size is a collapsed Nomad Mk2 S+S?
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:57:42 pm »
I have read the piece which says that a Nomad may not (will not) fit into a 26"x26"x10" box. Or even a 66x66x25.4 box.

Question is what size box is it likely to fit into. Possibly each size will be a bit different, I would be looking at something like a 590L.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: What size is a collapsed Nomad Mk2 S+S?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:22:28 pm »
I have been wondering about this, too. The constraints would seem to be governed by the sizes of the individual parts, which includes how far you want to disassemble your bike, and then how tightly they can all get packed into a space.

I gather one of the longest pieces is the fork - steering tube assembly. Sure looks like it ought to fit diagonally in a 26 inch box, but I have yet to try!

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:23:59 am »
I have a 590M. Before I ordered it, I got conflicting info from SJS on what size case it would or would not fit it, but some of that information suggested that the problem might be the fork and not the rest of the frame or components.  Finally I sent a blunt question to Andy Blance.  My question was (I deleted extraneous text here from the original e-mail):

Will the complete Nomad, size 590M with wheels and drop bars fit into a bag
like the S&S backpack?

If necessary, I could carry the fork in different luggage, so if it does not
fit, would it fit without fork?  ... [text deleted] ...

I am more interested in a soft flexible bag like the S&S backpack than the
hard case, so if it will not fit into the hard case, that is not a problem.

But, I am not interested in carrying a bag or box that is significantly
larger than the size allowances common to USA airlines of a sum of length,
width and depth of 62 inches (157cm).  ... [text deleted] ...

Response was:

Thanks for the mail.
Yes, the 590M will fit into an S&S rucksack without the forks...provided you
disassemble enough components.
Best regards,
Andy B.

I have not packed my bike up yet to fly with it somewhere, but I have put the bike without fork into the S&S backpack to make sure it will fit. If I travel on an airline for a bike trip, I will also bring a duffel with me with other camping gear, that duffel is long enough to carry the fork, thus I really am not concerned about whether or not the fork will fit with the rest of the bike into specified case.

I suspect that the 590L with flat bars may actually fit better than my 590M with drop bars because the flat bars clearly would be much easier to pack.

Regarding other bike stuff, I have no idea what types of racks will fit in the bag.  I did not buy the Thorn racks.  I did not try to fit the Tubus Logo EVO (my current favorite rear rack) into the case when I test fitted the bike into it.  I also have toured with the Surly rear rack, that rack is on the bike right now.  If those racks do not fit in the case, then I may have to use a different rack.  I have several rear racks to chose from, including the RackTime FoldIt which would fit anywhere, but it is not very robust.  Front rack, I have one that I am confident will fit in the duffel.

Good luck.  There is a little bit more info at this link, but not too much info.
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6899.0
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:26:16 am by mickeg »

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:53 am »
One more quick comment - I assume you are well versed in bike assembly and disassembly.  If you are not, packing up the bike in the case could be a real learning experience. 

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:47:08 pm »
"a real learning experience"

Do I get CE credits toward my Thorn forums status?

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:49:49 pm »
I've packed and unpacked my Thorn Nomad MK1 rohloff S&S quite a few times over the past few years on my tour.
I've always used boxes from supermarkets or anything I could find.
The airlines have always taken them but they have insisted they go through the over size baggage counter.
That has not cost me any more money, only the standard weight cost I would have paid if it was a suitcase.
I do always make sure I find out the max dimensions before flying and have that info in an email.

The biggest part of the box will be depending on your fork steerer. Mine is uncut so always adds a bit of extra size.

On my last flight from Kuala Lumpur to Gatwick with Vietnam airlines I used the cardboard box from a pair of loudspeakers.
This was within the airlines maximum dimensions.

Minimum 1 hour to disassemble.
Unclip brake cables from calliper, unclip rohloff from wheel/frame, remove seat and saddle, remove racks, remove mudguards, remove wheels,let down tires, remove forks, disassemble frame, leave bars and cables attached.

I would pack a wheel on each side of the box with the parts of the frame between. The pedals stayed attached and went through the spokes so as not to move around. Both mudguards would sit on one wheel and the rear rack would sit on top of the other wheel. Everything else would slot in somewhere in-between.
I would pack out the spindles with old clothes or polystyrene.

Most of my bike is still in the box. I will go and take some photos and measurements tomorrow in better light and post them up here.

The main things to note are
Uncut steerer
Racks and
Mudguards
all need to come off to pack down small. This is what takes the time. If the bike is naked it takes a few minutes.

As for flying, try to use an airline that will actually take bicycles for a flat extra fee. This works out a hell of lot cheaper than paying excess luggage rates at $100 per kg .

I posted so much stuff home from my tour to avoid excess fees. Every single Postoffice got my parcels back to the UK in the time stated :)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:49:54 am »
Unfortunately photos are not possible as I'd unpacked more than I remembered .

My last box was 40 deep x 65 wide x 70 high

With some uber careful packing you could probably get the depth down a bit but the wheel and tyre size obviously govern the rest (plus the fork steerer)

I'm going to set up an album on Facebook and link to it though my blog for Thorn related stuff. I will update when done.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:06 am »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:20:26 am »
When I built up my Nomad last year, I agonized over whether the S&S couplers were worth the considerable extra cost, and how much value there would be in collapsing (disassembling) the bike to that extent. Then I found the CTC bag threads on the web, and the answer was clear.

My wife and I flew from Australia to London last year, including a stopover in Singapore of several nights on the return journey, using CTC bags without a hitch. See the thread here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8017.msg52725#msg52725

I will admit that this solution may not work in all instances of needing to transport the bike on punts, barges, trucks, busses etc. However, IMHO there is almost always a way to get from A to B without having to resort to the takedown necessary with the S&S. YMMV. 8)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:54 am »
One year ago I would have agreed with you Sammy. I bought my S&S Nomad second hand so the cost wasn't an issue. I didn't use the couplers at all for ages.
However I've since flown three times when the airline will not take a bike full size so they have proved useful.

I do try and leave the bike assembled whenever I can though.

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:34:26 pm »
Any heard of these before?

http://www.buxumbox.com/galibier-box/
"1. k.   Disconnect two S&S Couplers"

Looks pretty cool. More suitable for someone bringing a delicate event bike to, an event as opposed to anyone setting off on tour. And no idea if a Nomad would fit.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 02:25:27 am »
This summer, I flew with my Nomad to Montana USA for a mountain biking trip.

I fit the Nomad (minus a suspension fork) in one 26x26x10 case, and the suspension fork, plus all my camping gear, the racks, and my personal gear in a second. The Nomad is heavy enough that the first case would have been overweight with the fork (case alone was 16lbs), so I didn't even try to make it fit.

I have a 560M (profile pic on the left is from the trip)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:00:29 am by hetrick »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »
I still think Andy should turn his attention to creating a true Thorn folding bike.  :D Like a Brompton on steroids, it'd be Rohloff-powered, lightweight and bullet-proof.

My good mate is now a Brompton dealer in our area. I will shortly borrow a machine for a few weeks, doing a "Living with..." evaluation prior to a potential purchase. It ain't a Nomad, but it sure is handy to take on planes, trains and automobiles!