Author Topic: New Sport Tour  (Read 28167 times)

Fred A-M

Re: New Sport Tour
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 01:46:02 pm »
Ref S&S couplings: an interesting idea and think i've read that they don't affect the bike's peformance at all but I'm not convinced that they are that useful.  Having given some thought to what would be the advantages, if you're a small car owner or need to use a car to carry several bikes to access rides, I guess they could be useful and merit the cost.  Useful for not having to prebook bikes onto trains too I guess.  

If you want to use the RST for credit card touring abroad however, this means carrying a bike bag (unless you're returning to your start point at the end of a trip and can persuade your hotel to look after the bag) which in my mind defeats the purpose of owning an RST and credit-card touring, travelling light.  I've always managed get around this by contacting a local bike shop a couple of days ahead of my homeward flight and procuring an appropriately sized cardboard bike-box. A gamble I admit, but has never failed me yet. Will be interested to see how many self-declared takers there are of the new RST S&S pre-fitted bikes/frames.  Maybe there's something I've overlooked?

efpw

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 03:28:52 pm »
Swislon, you have made the leap..  I am still sitting on the fence with a very similarly spec'ed bike.  For my part, I am considering the Brooks 'Champion Flyer' seat (B17 on springs), pre-aged so I don't have to break it in.  I am also considering the Schmidt SON front hub dynamo; Pitlock skewers and comfort bars.
Very interesting following this thread in clarifying my own ideas.
'nnnmvg' (what is the history behind the name?), I am also very interested in S+S fittings.  The option of being able to sling it into the back of a car is very tempting.  I emailed 'TeamTriplet' in another thread, because he has an eXp with these, but I have had no reply...

Swislon

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 04:22:47 pm »
S&S Couplings: I have no personal experience. They are supposed to be very strong, even making the frame stronger than without them, but I'm not an engineer so I can't explain why. You see alot of American riders with S&S coupled solos because I guess they often take internal US air flights. Tandems often have couplings, look on the Santana website(http://www.santanatandem.com/StowawayAssembly.pdf) to see how they can break their bikes down for travel or into the back of a car. But they have 6 couplings to break it down real small, not 2 or 3 like Thorn.
I split my moulton ( now gone to a new home to help finance RST) once to pack in the car when we went on holiday. It was still a large, heavy (30lbs)and fairly unwieldy package and I wouldn't have liked to travel regularly on a train with it. But every now and then would be OK.

If you want easy to transport on a regular basis I would consider a folder first as goosander says. I really like the Airnimals and the folding society website www.foldsoc.co.uk/ has tons of information including rohloff equipped folders.
But then again they are not RSTs !

Cheers

PH

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 04:59:30 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by nnnmvg

even pre-fitted in Taiwan still add £350 to the cost [£450 if retrofitted in Bridgewater).

I know it sounds a lot, but you'll soon forget the cost.  I've had my Raven two years, without looking at the receipt I couldn't tell you how much it cost.  If you're going to spend over a grand on a bike, it's too late to start compromising[;)] If you think you're going to get the use out of them, go for it.
I know a few people with S&S couplings on tandems, no problems and if they're strong enough for a tandem you'll have no worries on a solo.

PH

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 05:32:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Swislon

The final spec is:

All sounds good, it'll be a long two weeks for you[;)]

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 05:37:08 am »
Hope Hubs

I too have one of theses, laced with DT Revolution spokes (black) onto a black Mavic 717 ceramic rim. It has seen about 3000 miles and still looks new.  One thing to watch though - I am using an XT quick release skewers (black) which I forgot to grease it, is now badly corroded.

I have the choice of two front wheels the other is a XT hub (grey) / DT Competition spokes (silver) and Mavic 717 (Silver) rim.  This is my touring / off road wheel. Both wheels are excellent.  Obviously the advantages of the Mavic / ceramic wheel is better braking and (maybe) less maintenance however it costs 3 time more than the standard wheel.

Both wheels have require zero attention so far.

Swislon

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 05:56:40 am »
I think with their 100 day money back, it is not really much of a leap. Keeping the budget reasonable is the difficult part. I could easily have added £400/£500 no problem, but wanted to make sure this is The Bike and how my riding evolves.
I've tried Hope hubs and they are a great piece of kit, and look quality & well engineered plus made in Britain. Goosander reminded me, so thanks for that.

hux

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 09:55:16 am »
Swislon,
First time for me on this forum so bear with me.
I've had a Raven Sport Tour since Aug 05 also after much dillydallying about spec and the merits of rohloff gears but it's been brilliant straight out of the box and I've done nothing with it since apart from a change of oil,brake blocks and regular chain cleaning.
My spec is same as yours with regard to rims,chaingear and tyres [1.5 conti sport contact] and I use it for commuting.
Tyres not suitable for off roading as thin and slick but rims suitable with change to knobblies assuming yyou would remove mudguards as quite a tight fit.

Swislon

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:46 pm »
Hi hux,
Thanks for comments, sounds like you are another RST fan. I've gone for Panaracer 1.5" Tourguards for winter which should have some kind of tread. I am not going to go genuine mountain biking on it but forest trails, bridleways etc. I know I will meet some mud on these, as we did on our tandem on Sunday, but all manageable. If not, I'm not adverse to getting off and walking the worst bits, as a last resort of course.
I'm looking forward to mine now, should be just over a week, if lead time given was about right.
cheers

wal

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:32 pm »
Hi all, just ordered (today) an almost identical specd RST to Swislon. I was told that the LX brake upgrade was not available any more. I have gone with the standard brakes.

Can't wait for it to arrive now. Here's to our RSTs.

Swislon

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 05:19:17 am »
I think us new RST guys ought to post our first and subsequent impressions on our new steeds and pictures of course. It will be interesting to see how we all get on. Heres hoping they live up to our expectations.
Cheers[:)]

nnnmvg

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 07:37:48 am »
I'm another expectant RST owner.

Took the plunge and put my order in today -- now a 4 week wait before delivery. There is a good chance that the bike will be put to the test in cold and possibly icy conditions -- I live in Sweden.

My bike is also Matt Black and specd much the same as everyone elses except I bit the bullet and ordered the XTR brake upgrade.

Thank you all for your news and views which have very helpful contributions to my decision making process.

Will report my first impressions in due course.

john28july

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2006, 11:35:54 am »
Hello, Enjoy your Raven when you get it. I enjoy mine. Heres a new picture of it.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:40:37 am by john28july »

john28july

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2006, 11:38:35 am »

Swislon

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:56 pm »
[:D]
http://picasaweb.google.com/Swislon/ThornRST

It should have arrived Saturday morning but the courier was playing games, so I got it this morning. I haven't had much time to play (10 miles) but here are my first observations.
Only had to straighten bars and lower seat a fraction.
Love the colour.
Slightly heavier than my 631 Bob Jackson audax. Weight is at the back. You can feel it when you lift the bike.
A brilliant ride. Everything feels "tight". Must be the frame.
B17, very slippy, but has more "give". I think I'm going to like it.
42*16 seems about right for me.
Rohloff noise.....     What noise ? The freewheel makes more noise !
Gear 8 to 14 feel fantastic, no noise, no friction.
Gear 1,2,3,4 I haven't used yet
Gear 5,6 very little noise a little "friction" feeling
Gear 7 a little more noise, bigger "friction" feeling.
This feeling of friction/wirling cogs feels a little odd but it also comes & goes so i think its the hub doing its job. It certainly doesn't bother me.
The shifter is very positive and is a joy to change gear. It is so quiet and no trimming required.
I don't know if I will get on with the Ergon grips. They are nice place to rest the hands but after a while my palms ached. I'll perservere and see how I get on.
Tyres seem to roll well but again I need more miles.
It felt slower up the hills but I was playing with the gears so not a good test.
Current assessment. I think I'm going to love it [;)]