Author Topic: Front wheel with Sond 28 new removal  (Read 4449 times)

Cedric

Front wheel with Sond 28 new removal
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:40 am »
Dear Forum members!

May be I have chosen not the right thread for this question, but I think you can address me further.
I need to remove the front wheel with Son 28 dyno hub installed. For this I obviously need to disconnect the hub. The initial job was done by mechanic, now this shop is too far from me. I have been riding with it for 6 months now with no punctures.
I haven't found no clear manual or video yet.

Please, help.

Many thanks!

Cedric
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:23:11 am by Cedric »

in4

Re: Front wheel with Sond 28 new removal
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:38 am »
If you post a picture of your wheel with hub we'll be able to advise you more easily. Its probably just a case of disconnecting a couple of spade-end connectors but lets see what a photo reveals.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:21:15 pm »
Yeah my SON hub disconnects easily, just a couple spade connector that slide off. There is no polarity at that point so you can reconnect them either way. Maybe yours is different but probably just as easy.

jags

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:44:21 pm »
just disconnect wires and let wheel drop out as per usual, re connect when your fitting the wheel back ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »
not a great shot, but in case it helps, here is where the wires attach to the dynamo on my bike:

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:29:12 pm »

I need to remove the front wheel with Son 28 dyno hub installed. For this I obviously need to disconnect the hub. The initial job was done by mechanic, now this shop is too far from me. I have been riding with it for 6 months now with no punctures.
I haven't found no clear manual or video yet.

1. Trace the wire from the lamp to the hub. Where it stops at the hub the wire slides onto the connector on the SON with a spade. The back end of the spade may be covered in heat shrink, a sort of a thickening of the wire, probably black, or it may be bare metal. Grasp the connector firmly and pull backwards and it should come off. Repeat with the other side.

2. To remove the wheel, undo whichever you have, a nutted axle or a quick release. Do not undo either all the way, or, if you do, take a good note of the order of the components on the axles, and which way they point.

3. The nut is obvious; it turns counterclockwise. The QR works by first flippin over the lever and then turning the nut it is attached to counterclockwise.

4. When either is undone a little way so that the wheel has some sideways movement (against the springs which load the fixings), you can shake the wheel out of the fork. This might be a little tricky at first, as there are "lawyer's lips" on the dropouts to prevent the axle coming out too easily, but persevere and you'll get the hang of it.

5. When you want to refit the wheel, do not overtorque either a nut or a quick release. There is a torque spec in the manuals, I imagine, and it would be best to use a torque wrench or otherwise get someone with experience to show you how to do it by feel. On the nut it is about finger tight and not too many turns of the spanner after that. On the QR is just on the tight side of loose, with the over-centre lever taking up the rest of the tension. If there is any stiction in the wheel (if it won't spin freely when you lift the front of the bike) you've gone too far and should back off.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:24:32 am by Andre Jute »

David Simpson

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:14:38 pm »
Here is the SON28 manual:
    http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/pdf/english/son282013e.pdf

Other manuals are here:
    http://www.nabendynamo.de/service/service_en.html

When you put the wheel back on the bike, the torque on the skewer is supposed to be 8-10 Nm.

- Dave

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:20:38 pm »
i thought my explanation was the best  :-*

jags

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:12 pm »
i thought my explanation was the best  :-*

Of course it was. For people who already know how to do it.

jags

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »
 ;D ;D

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:35 am »
Cedric, to add a detail to Andre's instructions:

Grasp the connector firmly and pull backwards and it should come off. Repeat with the other side.

The connector(s) may not come off easily, if the male-female connection has become corroded. So, go gently.  When you do get them female connectors removed from the spades on the hub (use penetrating oil if necessary, but not force), I'd suggest that on reassembly, you add a tiny wee dab of carbon conductive grease to each male connector. (The grease is available at electronics supply stores -- a tube will last a lifetime, I'd guess.)  This will simplify reassembly and grease the skids (as it were) for the next time.

Good luck!

il padrone

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
Cedric, I'd guess that you've already got your wheel off...... hope so anyway !!

One point about your photo - it seems your bike shop mechanic was not thinking about your convenience. He has placed the hub terminals right in behind your fork dropout, very awkward to get at. When you next have the wheel off, consider remounting the lower cable-tie so the cable is on the front of the fork, then position the hub terminal facing out at 45 degrees forwards. This will leave the cable terminls in a much more readily accessible position.