Author Topic: new socks advice.  (Read 8056 times)

jags

new socks advice.
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:02 pm »
lads i need to buy new cycling socks its been that long since i bought some i've no idea whats best, ::)
anyone got any ideas and a link please.

anto

julk

Re: new socks advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:16:39 pm »
jags,
i gave up wearing socks for Lent, at least that is what I told people who asked ;)
julk.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:52:56 pm »
Anto,

If you were here on 'Merka, I'd urge you away from the ones I bought to use on tour. They smell like Death...or rather, my feet do. Their previous ones were fine, but even fresh out of the laundry,  after three minutes' wearing, I'm awfully glad my feet are as far as possible from my nose.  If only it would kill mosquitoes, I wouldn't mind the odor but I now fear it attracts them.

For proof...watch me get eaten alive while wearing them: https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B4oEGx6B0gzBWlpEZHIyTnZtMWc/edit

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:38:04 pm by Danneaux »

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »
I didn't know there was such a thing as cycling socks! What magical properties do they have?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »
Egads, Dan! You should get some kind of blood donor award or something! That really looks brutal!

jags

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:35:06 pm »
 ;D  ;D buch of comedian's.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:36:02 pm »
I didn't know there was such a thing as cycling socks! What magical properties do they have?
I usually cycle mine through the wash. Once, sometimes twice a week.

Best,

Dan. (... :D )
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:52:34 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:06:38 pm »
i give up  ::)

in4

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:17 pm »
I bought a pair of merino wool socks ( In Tasmania ) and the shop owner in Sorrell said 'They'll be the best pair of socks you've ever had' Fast forward 10 years plus and I wore them this very evening for my local ride. He wasn't far wrong. 

jags

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:16 pm »
thanks in4 i'll sus out them,i have a pair of sealskinz waterproof                    not very practicall for this time of year ;D ;D.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 12:11:42 am »
Awfully hard to beat wool. Miss mine, wish I had them now.

Best, 

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 12:34:24 am »
Anto,

If you were here on 'Merka, I'd urge you away from the ones I bought to use on tour. They smell like Death...or rather, my feet do. Their previous ones were fine, but even fresh out of the laundry,  after three minutes' wearing, I'm awfully glad my feet are as far as possible from my nose.  If only it would kill mosquitoes, I wouldn't mind the odor but I now fear it attracts them.

For proof...watch me get eaten alive while wearing them: https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B4oEGx6B0gzBWlpEZHIyTnZtMWc/edit

Best,

Dan.

Perhaps there is a healthy microbial population? 

I started carrying a 1 oz (30 ml) bottle of chlorine bleach to use as an emergency water purifier, 2 to 4 drops per liter should do for most bad water sources.  If you have access to any chlorine bleach, you might want to try soaking the socks in some water with perhaps a double dose of bleach (4 to 8 drops per liter) for an hour?  That should kill off any microbes that are causing your odor problem.

A good soak of the shoes may also be in order.  If I recall, you had trouble finding a good shoe pedal combination, so soaking the shoes may not be practical if you have to ride with them the next day.  When I tour, I use pedals with SPD on one side, non-cleated other side (Shimano M324) so I can wear any shoe on my pedals.  When my bike shoes have been soaked I have toured with regular shoes while the bike shoes dry out.

Source of my dosage info:
http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm

I have heard that natural fibers (cotton, wool, etc.) are less likely to smell, thus this is one more vote for wool.  On my recent tour, I used thin wool socks over thin synthetic liner socks, the two layers were for better padding.  I washed them in the sink every afternoon or evening, they rarely were dry enough the next day so it was a good thing I had several extra sets.

RonS

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 12:59:51 am »
Another vote for wool. I've got DeFeet Wooleator. Here in Canada they're only $14 a pair and they wear like iron. They do a good job in the odor control department.
I see you can get them from Wiggle.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:06:32 am by RonS »

Neil Jones

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 08:04:12 am »
+1 for merino, Smartwool make some nice ones but not cheap.

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 09:23:31 am »
This thread is an education, almost like Air Force boot camp again.

I must be terminally old-fashioned. I wear pure cotton on the bike, in layers I can put on and take off as required, with leather shoes.

Cotton wears like iron, to steal a phrase from up-thread, and looks so smart that I've been asked by small boys at the supermarket why I dress like the ladies, meaning the young housewives who turn out in leggings with one of their husbands' business shirts over. Next they'll be asking me for proof of age at the liquor store...

I've cotton to thank for all that. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:20:26 am by Andre Jute »