Author Topic: KMC Chain link  (Read 9512 times)

Andre Jute

Re: KMC Chain link
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 09:12:49 pm »
Andre, are we talking about the same tool?  I wouldn't call it hefty. It's about the same size and weight (and shape, for that matter) as a small wire stripper.  About the same size as, but lighter than, small pliers.

We are, Dave. My tool kit weighs 68 grammes, and with it I can strip the bike right down to the bottom bracket and the Rohloff sprocket, for either of which I need a tool I normally leave at home, and of which only one (the Rohloff sprocket spanner head) would be taken on tour. Carrying a quick link tool would double the weight of my everyday toolkit. I'd resent that as an imposition by engineers who didn't make a proper design job of the quick link.

No mercy, no amnesty for engineers in the pocket of the marketing department!

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread. I hear no hurrahs for quick links: they're convenient when they work, but their obduracy is unpredictable, which is not helpful. It really causes me to pause when an experienced and thoughtful cyclist like Martin gives up on a component.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:22:18 pm by Andre Jute »

David Simpson

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 05:38:41 am »
My tool kit weighs 68 grammes, and with it I can strip the bike right down to the bottom bracket and the Rohloff sprocket

That's impressive. Have you posted on this forum a description of your kit? I don't recall seeing it.

I'd resent that as an imposition by engineers who didn't make a proper design job of the quick link.
No mercy, no amnesty for engineers in the pocket of the marketing department!

As an engineer(*), I too am annoyed when something could have been engineered well, but wasn't.

- Dave

(*) I'm a software engineer, and I readily admit that software engineering is not "real" engineering.  But give us a couple of hundred years to catch up with electrical, civil, mechanical, etc.

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:47 am »
That's impressive. Have you posted on this forum a description of your kit? I don't recall seeing it.

I first described my toolkit at http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4205.msg19704#msg19704 and on a later occasion explained in detail at http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3932.msg17431#msg17431 which other tools and component spares I would take on a world tour, which turned out to be not very many more than the basic 68gr.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:38 am »
What a wonderful example of a thread expanding into something so valuable.
Many thanks.
I'll be looking at the world tour list very carefully.
I'm off around Scotland shortly. And if that goes to plan (& Mrs. Matt agrees) it will be a RTW tour next year.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 06:14:10 pm »
I'm off around Scotland shortly. And if that goes to plan (& Mrs. Matt agrees) it will be a RTW tour next year.

I'm good with wives too. You could hire me to persuade Mrs Matt.

(Tongue firmly in cheek.)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »
Much respect to you Mr. Jute, and I bow to your considerable technical knowledge; but you haven't met Mrs. Matt.  :-\
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

David Simpson

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »
You could hire me to persuade Mrs Matt.

Any man who claims to be able to persuade women is either lying or single.

- Dave (a happily married man)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:38:20 pm by davidjsimpson »

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:39 pm »
It's a reason, M'Lud, not an excuse: I used to work in advertising.

David Simpson

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »
It's a reason, M'Lud, not an excuse: I used to work in advertising.

A perfectly valid reason.  That and "member of Parliament".

- Dave

mickeg

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 09:43:35 pm »
Did they ship the wrong link?  My chain takes the Missing Link II (listed on page two, the link below is to page one).  Both Missing Link I and Missing Link II are listed as being 6, 7 or 8 speed, but have different widths.
http://kmcchain.us/connectors-list/

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 05:29:16 pm »
Did they ship the wrong link?  My chain takes the Missing Link II (listed on page two, the link below is to page one).  Both Missing Link I and Missing Link II are listed as being 6, 7 or 8 speed, but have different widths.
http://kmcchain.us/connectors-list/

Mick is right. It makes a difference. I had to return the first links Chainreaction sent and get the other ones. By the way, I also seem to recollect that only one of those quick links fits the Hebie Chainglider, which is an added complication.