Author Topic: Using the bike for mandated heart exercise  (Read 2721 times)

Andre Jute

Using the bike for mandated heart exercise
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »
On another conference someone asks me:

> what's the story on your health visavee riding the bike ?
>
> how do you quantify the max limits for exercise ?
>
> just feel tired and stop ? how get back to start ?

I've always controlled effort on the bike by my heart rate rather than by, say cadence, and after heart surgery just continued doing the same. I run my heart up to just short of producing lactic acid, say to 80% of theoretical max (max is 220 minus your age in years, so if you're 50 theoretical max is 170bpm), and try to hold it there regardless of terrain. This is the point of a wide-range Rohloff gearbox, and also of the electric motor I fitted a few years ago, to fill in the gaps, so that you can regulate your effort, measured as BPM, quite closely, if you want to. In fact, I have been doing it so long, I don't bother with fine control. I don't, for instance, these days even have a heart rate monitor on the handlebars, instead using a Polar H7 Smart Bluetooth sender to the iPhone in my pocket or saddlebag, which announces every kilometer that it has passed, how many minutes it took (or the speed if you want that instead), and the average heart rate.

An average ride raises my heart rate to over 50% of theoretical max for between half an hour and an hour. Walking and swimming would be superior forms of exercise but where I live they're not so agreeable as cycling, even when you have a treadmill to take care of foul weather.

Andre Jute

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Using the bike for mandated heart exercise
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
When I was living in Hillsboro, Oregon, I was walking a lot for exercise and found a heart rate monitor quite useful for setting a good pace. My walking routes were quite flat. I was amazed when I got into hillier terrain how difficult it was to maintain a steady heart rate. Not much of an incline up sends my heart rate much faster unless I slow my pace way down. Similarly, I have to jog downhill to get the heart rate up to any sort of exercise level.

I have never gotten a heart rate monitor to do much of anything on a bike. My heart immediately goes above any target range and then just spikes into uncharted realms on any sort of hill. Who knows why?! That formula for max heart rate is just a loose guess that is reasonable for most people, a good starting point. There are lots of tweaks floating around on the web and then really a person needs just to measure for themselves. I think the idea is to push gradually harder and harder until you die. Then you really know the max rate. Maybe it is like Heisenberg's principle or something? Anyway there are some hills around here where I sure feel like I could die!

Sometimes I think about getting one of those devices that record the heart rate for later review. I just have things with an immediate display and that's it. But for the moment I am trying just to use what I have and maybe actually prune back a bit. I have a couple boxes of books ready to sell back to a store on my way to visit with my parents for Father's Day. My sister will be there too and it looks like good weather. I think I will bring my bike pump and maybe my sister and I will get on on those old Schwinn Suburbans - here is my brother from our ride after we got those fixed back up - basically new tires and tighten up the spokes:

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »
I don't obsess about it, Jim, which is why the thing is in my pocket and reports after every kilometre ridden -- note "ridden": when I stop, it shuts up until I start again and complete another measured unit. When I come home I check the max heart rate on the ride, just in case there's a reportable spike, and look at the total of "minutes in the beneficial ranges", and that's it. Basically I just look for 30m or more above a rate that can be as low as 50% and is rarely as high as 80%.

Interesting that you too found walking a more certain way of getting your heart rate up and holding it up. Very usefully, in three out of the four directions from my house the road leads uphill, and those hills give one a good workout in short order when on foot. They're also long enough to give you a good workout, if not a complete ride, on the bike, but for the bike they're soon followed by more hills.

julk

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:02:52 pm »
Guys,
very interesting.

I only wear a heart monitor when riding fully loaded on a camping trip.
My rule of thumb has been to get off and walk slowly when the heart rate reaches 140 going up a steep hill, 140 for me is about 90% of max.
Maybe I should get off sooner...
Julian.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:10:58 pm »
Yeah I guess from my age my max heart rate should be about 160 but I find it very difficult to keep my rate below about 150. I would definitely like to try a more statistical approach like Andre outlined. If I watch the HRM display that gets me all disoriented and who knows maybe I am holding my breath or some lunatic thing.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »
Too right, you don't want your heart rate monitor to add a layer of stress precisely when you're riding out to get rid of stress. That's why mine got moved off the handlebars into my pocket, and the average reported respiration rate for the ride immediately fell a couple of percent.

That bracket from about 84% to around 90% is not a good one to be in, as it produces lactic acid. You either want to be below, building endurance, or above, building sprinting strength right up near your max. If you're going to exercise consistently above 80% either deliberately or by accident but often, at our age you want to consult a physician once in a while and tell him what you're doing.

I ride with mine, and also with a trained nurse among my pedal pals, so I could ask them, but in fact I never go above 80% for more than a few seconds at a time, just spikes, no consistent high effort. It helps that we're all recreational riders, not old roadies, with all the roadie attitudes about keeping up speed; we trundle along, talking, at the speed of the slowest. Today I caught an unplanned ride, alone, just before dinner, 8 1/4km in 30m on very hilly countryside, 5 big hills in that distance, and my highest spike was 70% with an average at 60%, a fairly typical ride, except normally I'm slower because I dawdle and look at the countryside and wait for the pedal pals to catch up at the top of the hills.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:37:19 pm by Andre Jute »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:59:28 pm »
Here are some alternative formulas for max heart rate: http://www.ultracycle.net/monitor/hrm.php

If my max rate is let's say 165, well 60% of that is about 100. My resting heart rate is probably 70 or so. I hardly have to do anything to get it over 100!

Must've been a good ten years ago or probably 12, anyway. At the office they had some medical folks come in and hand out brochures, keychains, etc. A nurse was taking blood pressure. Well I just walked up four flights of stairs! But anyway it showed high pressure. Lots of heart attack death in my family! So I went in for a more thorough look. They had me on an inclined treadmill sweating pretty good with all those electrodes stuck on. All looked good but still the pressure was a bit high. I got myself a pressure meter along with an HRM. That's when I got dedicated to walking more. I did lose a bunch of weight and that brought the pressure down very nicely. Ah, sad to say, most of that weight has come back! My latest game is to switch from 88% dark chocolate to the pure bitter baking chocolate!

These days my life is so topsy-turvy I can hardly think of any kind of disciplined approach. I try to avoid the worst foods - I am convinced it's the refined carbohydrates that are the real enemy, short of trans-fats anyway. Plus getting out on the bike or walking. Some stretching. Who knows?!

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »
Thanks for the link, Jim. I've added it to my Potty Reading List, which, far from an insult, is my top, immediate-action reading list, courtesy of iCloud, which promulgates it across all my devices.

I'm amazed to hear how high your resting heart rate is. Mine is under 40, though it must be said I'm a lifelong athlete, a professional athlete at a couple of stages in my life. But that's the clue. A fellow who can ride his bike as far as you can should have a lower resting heart rate.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:08:23 am »
I'm amazed to hear how high your resting heart rate is.

Yeah it's a queer thing. Fundamentally I am just no kind of athlete. There is the old nature vs nurture debate but I think nature is not to be discounted. I am no slouch mathematically but despite really working at it over the years I am really at the back of the pack running swimming cycling or most anything else in the physical line. Ha, I can't carry a tune either! But I still get out and bike and play my guitar too!

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:44 pm »
Here are some alternative formulas for max heart rate: http://www.ultracycle.net/monitor/hrm.php

It's mostly researchers researching something and writing papers because they have to research something and write papers so they can keep their jobs and be promoted. Basically, the 220 minus present age formula is good enough because after that your body will tell you how close it is.

Look at it this way. The only reason you really need a calculation close to within one or two percent is to stay out of the lactic acid burn from the mid-80% through to about 90% of max heart rate. And the only people who need to go past there to training for maximum sprint energy expenditure near and at 100% are top athletes. Top athletes know from practice how to interpret what their bodies tell them, and are anyway regularly on the machines, with coaches and consultants interpreting the numbers.

They're not us. We really shouldn't go past 83% or 84% routinely, as an exercise aim (not meaning odd spikes now -- they're just going to happen and are most harmless) unless under informed and practiced supervision. Deliberately running your heart up to 75% or 80% doesn't require any finer math than 220 minus age if you listen to your body and aren't stupidly trying to prove you can keep up with younger men, or even old guys fitter than you. I have one chum nearly a decade older than me who walks to places I don't even cycle to...

"Your legs drive your heart, not the other way around," says the best and the brightest of the physiophysicians, Dr Gabe Mirkin, in a significant quotation highlighted by Jim's source.. Think about what it means: it really is truly the fundamental fact behind any kind of beneficial exercise.

"I'm not a masochist." -- Andre's significant quote